Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Novice Member

My rott wont stand on his right hind leg

Ok im hoping someone can help me alittle. i have a 2 years old rott. he slipped and fell on the ice tonight and now he wont even stand on his right hind leg. and it seems like its hard for him to stand on his left also. i called and made a appt with the vet in the morning but im really worried. just wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows what it could be. he has had limping probelms in the past and the vet have us something to give him that seems to work but then he was at least standing on it. after the pills he was back to being fine. he slipped and fell that time also. now he wont even put it on the ground or if he does he picks it right back up...

Old 12-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Old Timer

Re: My rott wont stand on his right hind leg

As long as you have made your appointment with your vet for tomorrow, keep him in a crate tonight! Rest is the best for any muscle pull he might have done.
Your vet will probably want to take some x-rays. If he had problems before, the x-rays will be helpful to see what is going on!

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Novice Member

well took him in today and he has torn both legimets in both his legs. they said the right leg is worse than the left. he will be going in on the 13th for surgury on the right leg. they can only do one leg at a time they said. it will cost me $1,000 per leg. so even though this sucks im glad its not anything worse that would cause us to have to put him down. they said his hips look very good and dont see any problems there so that was good news..

Old 12-03-2005, 03:08 PM

Sorry about the torn ligaments. Am glad though to hear it's something that can be fixed.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Vintage Valued Member

Gosh, I'm sorry he sustained these injuries. It happens, of course. Poor fella! But I AM happy to hear he'll be having the surgeries. I've known Rottweilers who have had the TPLO surgeries done, and have recovered nicely. Our Cocker, being a smaller breed, was able to have the more simple ACL repair. And we debated whether to have it done, because he was about 11 at the time. Glad we did! You'd NEVER know there was EVER anything wrong.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:42 PM

I'm guessing you're having the TPLO surgery? Do some searching on here, you'll find people have had pretty good experiences with it and the dogs' recovery. Hope it goes quickly for you!

Old 12-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Novice Member

yeah thanks alot everyone. im really glad i found this site. ill let everyone know how it goes and for now im just trying to keep him entertained while he just lays around and i have him ina small area of my room so he cant move around or try to walk much

Old 12-04-2005, 06:03 PM

Sorry to hear about your torn ligaments...I read your original post and that was immediately what I was going to suggest. I've been through 4 so far - both knees on my first Rott and one of them twice (he was sick when the second one re-tore, so I didn't do surgery that time) and one knee on Legend. I've had three different surgeries done so far and the TPLO is the one I recommend...but it's also the most expensive. Whichever you choose should definitely help the problem...but boy is that recovery time a pain!! Both for owner and dog!! Best of luck with it - do some internet searching for ways to keep your boy entertained while he's on bedrest. Mine had surgery in December and I'm pleased to say was back in the obedience ring, conformation ring, and even the Schutzhund field by April!! Best of luck and keep us posted on his progress.

U-CD, FO, GRCH, CH Ciel Legend Vom Stefanhaus, CDX, AJP, AXP, RAE, PT, JHD, CS, CI, CX, BH, RL1, TT, CGC, , THD, TDIAV (born 2-15-03)
and many other furry *kids*

Old 12-05-2005, 09:30 AM

I don't know, $1000 per leg sounds like traditional surgery to me. I paid $3000 per leg for TPLO's. Be sure and research both types of surgery. For an active 2 yr old, I would think TPLO would be the way to go, but it's best if you learn about both and make an informed decision. My vet had never told me about the TPLO, I had to learn about it on my own.

Either way, Good Luck!

Otis, 3 yr old APBT rescue
^Tiny's Count Alexander^ (2/21/97-5/13/05)
"Punkin, you will live forever in my heart"

Lifelong Member of Red Sox Nation

Old 12-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Ancient Valued Member

around here traditional repair is $500-800 per leg. TPLOs range from $1000 and up per leg
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Novice Member

well he had the surgery on wednesday. looks like everything went good. he still dont feel comfortable standing on it because he is holding it up and not putting pressure on it. sometimes he walks on it but when he is standing still he wont put it down at all. so hopefully thats normal and he will be all normal soon

Old 12-16-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1965
well he had the surgery on wednesday. looks like everything went good. he still dont feel comfortable standing on it because he is holding it up and not putting pressure on it. sometimes he walks on it but when he is standing still he wont put it down at all. so hopefully thats normal and he will be all normal soon
Walking normally on the post op leg and holding weight off it while standing is perfectly normal. You'll probably see that for a few weeks.
and Co.