Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 05:08 PM

Weird hacking/gagging- what could be the cause?

I do plan on taking in Nikki this week if this doesn't change- but wanted some feedback as to what this might possibly be and if any of you have dealt with this before.:

Starting yesterday morning, Nikki started with this weird gagging/hacking noise. It sounds like she has something stuck in the back of her throat and is trying to get it out. It's not a deep gag like she needs to throw up nor is it a deep cough like there is something wrong w/ her respiratory system. She will do it for several minutes and then stop and go about her day for a couple hours and then start up again. She is eating fine, acting fine, playful, etc. I can't fathom what she might have gotten in to- if there is, in fact, something caught (I'm thinking a small piece of food, a piece of grass, something like that...)- she is not left outside unsupervised and we clean up any toys, etc. before we go anywhere when she might be left unsupervised.

Anyone have this happen? If so, what was ultimately the cause and how long do I take the "wait and see" approach if all else is well with her?

Thanks...

Mom to Nathan (10), Max (8) and Hayley (4)
and to our dogs Nikki, Stewie and Severe Macaw Bingo

RIP Sweet Daisy- May, 1995-March 31, 2008

Old 08-22-2005, 05:21 PM

I dunno about anyone else, but when there's coughing, gagging or choking involved for any longer than a few minutes I call my vet immediately.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Valued Member

This sounds like kennel cough, which might or might not be serious but you should see the vet. Be sure to tell the office that is a real possibility because you do not want to take a KC dog into a waiting room full of other dogs and expose them. Keep him in the car until it is time for him to go straight into an examining room. Then straight back out when finished and you can go back inside to tend to your billing or whatever.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Valued Member

It could be kennel cough, but to be sure, see your vet. She could also have a foxtail stuck in her throat (friend's dog had that).
CH Sam CDX RE
CH Louie CD RA
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 08-22-2005, 06:20 PM

I agree that Nikki needs a trip to the Vet. My Buster had what seemed like KC. After three rounds of anti-biotics, it didn't clear up. The Vets (there were three of them who saw Buster) suggested everything from a fungal infection to a foreign body in the respiratory system. Not to sound alarmist, but the third Vet to see Buster had a chest X-Ray done. It showed one of his lung lobes was not working. Long story short, it turned out to be Osteosarcoma. This is VERY rare, but it is possible and something to mention to the Vet.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:26 PM

have you been in a dog class,vet,show,around other dogs in the past 10-14 days?if so, sounds and can be kennel cough aka bordatella.
but as with anything abnormal wrong with a dog, a vets opinion is always in order.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 08-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Well since your dog is still alive I guess she's not choking to death :(

Could be:
Kennel cough (aka canine cough complex) and there are some variaties that do notrequire that your dog have even left the property

pneumonia

grass or seed stuck n throat or in palate

inhaled grass or seed

inhaled food

blasto

valley fever

lung cancer

sinus cancer

sinus infection

infected tonsils

do I need to go on? Honestly, get the poor dog to a vet
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 08-22-2005, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierrots
Well since your dog is still alive I guess she's not choking to death :(

Could be:
Kennel cough (aka canine cough complex) and there are some variaties that do notrequire that your dog have even left the property

pneumonia

grass or seed stuck n throat or in palate

inhaled grass or seed

inhaled food

blasto

valley fever

lung cancer

sinus cancer

sinus infection

infected tonsils

do I need to go on? Honestly, get the poor dog to a vet
Um, it's rather obvious she's not choking to death and I don't appreciate you making it sound like I'm a moron for not taking her in (and making a whole other thread on the topic as well).

I'm always very cautious and careful and THOUGHT I'd made clear that she's not choking, not vomiting, not lethargic, eating fine, playing and roughousing as normal. It's not so much of a cough as a "let me clear my throat" sound (which is the sound I meant when I posted the following:)

Quote:
It sounds like she has something stuck in the back of her throat and is trying to get it out.
Were ANY other change in behavior accompanying it, she would have already been seen before any attempt at posting here for advice.

Even with infant children (who, like dogs, cannot speak to tell us what's wrong), there are guidelines as to what constitutes a trip to the Dr. (and, yes, I've already read the other thread, thank you very much- though I truly don't feel this was quite the same thing)- yes, they may have something wrong, but it doesn't always mean an immediate trip in- there are some things that just require a closer watch for a day or two- sometimes they clear up, sometimes they don't and you do need to head in. That is simply how I was approaching this and THOUGHT I was doing the right thing.

I do appreciate the kennel cough suggestion. While she hasn't even so much as been to PetSmart or any place else around other dogs lately and was given the bordatella vaccine about 6 weeks ago, I do realize that there are other "variations" of KC that aren't covered by the vaccine and that she could have picked it up some other way and when I do call to take her in, I will be sure to let the vets know this might be a possibility.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Ancient Valued Member

I'm sorry if you thought I was nasty. But I wasn't I was dead serious

I know the cough you describe well. It COULD be a form of canine cough complex. In which case each time you take the dog outdoors or you pat the dog and get saliva on you. You are putting other dogs at risk to catch it. It COULD be the start of a pneumonia- inhalation or viral. Hell it could even be the first stage of cardiac failure for all we online know.

THAT cough fits so manyserious and less serious things that we would all hate tosee yet another dog on this board suffer because basic vet care was not provided. I've been on this list for YEARS and see it repeatedly each and every year :(
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 08-22-2005, 10:51 PM

From a person who has never delt with kennel cough until recently, I descibed it exactly as you did in your op. I thought that right away, as Judy posted. Just go to the vet asap. It can be picked up and passed VERY easily to any other dogs. My rotti got it from my mom's 10lb poodle, (didn't know poodle was sick) they were only in the same room together, not even face to face. Just take him to the vet. Don't wait. good luck and keep us posted.
My boys, your paws are forever imprinted on my heart!

Our greatest glory is not in ever falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierrots
I'm sorry if you thought I was nasty. But I wasn't I was dead serious

THAT cough fits so manyserious and less serious things that we would all hate tosee yet another dog on this board suffer because basic vet care was not provided. I've been on this list for YEARS and see it repeatedly each and every year :(
I appreciate the response.

I guess it was just the tone that made me take it the wrong way. I do have to realize that we are just all online and you guys don't know me and HAVE dealt with many people throughout the years who post and let things linger with their pets or ask for advice only to justify 50 different ways the can think of NOT to take the advice offered.

No, I didn't realize how serious this possibly COULD be and I will be calling this morning. I am not one that lets things linger, but even with my children I take a careful wait and see approach and am not a mom that flies in to the Dr. at the first sniffle (though I must say it helps to have a pediatric nurse for a sister in law who can tell me what to watch for). Based on her other behaviors being just fine, I thought that was an appropriate action for the problem she had- but, you guys, like my sister in law for my children, made me aware of what I should do and I will.

I'll let you know what they say...

Old 08-23-2005, 05:23 AM
Valued Member

natesmom of course you should always consult a vet since it cold be a number of things. It may also be reverse sneezing. Which generally is harmless but sounds and looks terrible when a dog does it......

Sometimes allergies or just breathing in wrong can cause it. Not something that happens all the time either. But I agree that it could be some other things too, so a vet check can't hurt and is in order thats for sure. Let us know what your vet thinks.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Old 08-23-2005, 05:57 AM

This hasn't been mentioned, so I will mention it. Coughing may also be roundworm. Roundworm burrow into the tissue of a dog and remain dormant, then they burrow through the bodyand into the lungs. When they get to the upper airways, their presence generates coughing. The worms are coughed up into the hostís throat where they are swallowed thus entering the intestinal tract for the second time in their development. Once back in the intestine, they begin to mate and thus the cycle continues.
If your dog at a piece of animal/ roadkill/feces or something that had been infected with roundworm this may have happened. If you are on a monthly wormer that covers this, it may not be the case, but it may be a possibility.
Just mentioning it. Your vet will know best after a thorough exam.
Good luck, I hope your dog stops coughing soon.
Battle - (Lead in Battle) - 10/23/96CGC TDI
Penny (formerly Galaxy) 4/1994

Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsway
natesmom of course you should always consult a vet since it cold be a number of things. It may also be reverse sneezing. Which generally is harmless but sounds and looks terrible when a dog does it......

Sometimes allergies or just breathing in wrong can cause it. Not something that happens all the time either. But I agree that it could be some other things too, so a vet check can't hurt and is in order thats for sure. Let us know what your vet thinks.
I do agree. I guess I thought with all else still being so good (ie: appetite, playfulness, etc.) I was expecting to hear guideline of "Well, if it doesn't get better in X many days, see the vet" or "If she starts to do this in addition to the clearing throat thing...see the vet"- kind of like they do w/ kids and fever "Yes, 103 is a higher fever, if it last x number of hours or days, call the Dr.- otherwise, keep an eye, give them plenty of fluids, etc.".

I do apologize, because as we've discussed on other threads, you guys, even if you WERE vets, could not diagnose over the internet-and always better to be safe than sorry and advise heading to a vet anyway.

As for Judi's advice on notifying the vet- THANK YOU. The receptionist we made the appointment with must not have thought much of the description I gave (sound effect description included) and I had to ask her if Kennel Cough was a possible risk and should we walk in and notify that we were there before bringing her in. They were VERY happy that I brought that up and that is something that this thread was absolutely great for- it gave me a heads up I otherwise would not have had and had I just taken her in myself might have possibly infected an entire waiting room.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Valued Member

Yep, you want to see heads swivel and looks accompanied with glares, it is towards the handler that has a dog at a dog show that is making the familiar sound of KC.