Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 02:25 AM

Talking Spay Recovery and Mobility?

Haley just got spayed yesterday. She came home the same day. At first she was totally out of it and just slept in her crate. She didn't even want to eat. Today, she is herself again! Not good because the aftercare instructions say to limit her exercise for 7-10 days! Is this extreme caution? I mean, clearly I know not to play fetch with her or have her running around with other dogs but so far she has been in her crate with a cone thingy on her head and whining. I've given her chew toys but she hasn't had any other fun. How long do I have to wait before I take her for a slow walk around the block or let her play in the hallway (her "room) with her toys? I can tell we are both about to go stir crazy and it's only the second day... I'm just not sure how much I need to limit her mobility.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:48 AM
One of the Old Folks

On a young dog like yours a spay really is not a big deal...not much of an incision. Young dogs heal so much faster.

If you are watching her, she does not need to be wearing the collar. If you can't watch her and think that she may be worrying the stitches...put it back on.
My vet uses surgical glue for spays and neuters....I have never, ever had to use a collar on any of my own dog or foster dogs after a spay/neuter. The glue tend to not bother them at all and they leave the wound alone.

You should not be letting your pup do any heavy running or jumping or playing...but she really does not need crating all of the time.
Walk her on a leash in the backyard if you think she is going to start doing the "zoomies"....if she is just sniffing around let her off leash.

Usually after about a week of quiet we resume slowly to get back into the routine of easy play,etc.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 07-08-2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks Brunie's Mom! Since I don't have a yard, do you think it's too soon to go for a very short walk? Like down the block and back? Somehow she got that silly cone off her head last night while I was sleeping! I don't think she chewed on her stiches, though because the wound looks the same to me. Now I know what all the crashing around the crate was about! lol They used surgical glue too on her. Right now she's chewing on a bully stick, so hopefully she'll be ready to nap when she's done.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:36 PM

The day after Daisy's spay operation at age six months, (she had to stay overnight because the vet could not do her surgery until nearly 6 pm), we walked slowly on a cool March day for about 10 minutes morning and evening. She always walks on a leash since we don't have a fenced yard either. The only instructions the vet gave was not to let her jump in and out of the car or on or off furniture for a week. Also, no playing fetch or using tug toys. She also had glue "stitches" and did not lick her incision at all. We lenghtened her walk each day, and by the end of the 10-day recuperation period, she was back to walking her evening mile, trotting up and down the stairs and generally being the same happy goober-head that she is!

Bailey, Boxer mix, adopted Jan 2009 at apx 2 years old
Daisy, Rottie-with-the-beautiful-tail, 2000-2007 at the Bridge (with Alex Cocker 1984-1998 and Toby Beagle 1982-1999)

Old 07-08-2005, 01:20 PM

If she's eating well and moving without pain, a walk should be fine.

The surgical glue is WONDERFUL stuff. Heals faster and they seem to stay away from it. Even after Frol's c-section (a much bigger incision), they glued her shut and she never once touched it (I was SURE a puppy was going to accidentally put a foot through it though!).

I'll admit, I'm bad about those "keep quiet" instructions. I tend to let my dogs dictate to me what they're ready for. I about died when Frol jumped up on my king sized bed 2 days after her spay (and she did let out a peep), but nothing sprung loose and she healed well.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:24 PM

I think a lot depends on the vet and the age of the dog. I've had some that had trouble and some that didn't. I think jumping is the big no no. walking should be fine. Hilda had some swelling, and did try to bother her incision. our vet suggested a tee shirt and that worked well. cut a slit up the back and tie it. I stitched up a 'dart' to make a long tee shirt fit a bit better.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:33 PM
One of the Old Folks

Talking

I agree with the others...short walks on leash should be fine. I know how hard it is to keep a young dog from not racing around or trying to jump....but I think as long as everything is done in moderation your pup should be fine.

I am seeing a pattern here ....the vets that use the surgical glue on their patients...the dogs seem not to bother with the wound at all and they seem to heal much faster then the stitched up dogs.

As I said before my vet has spayed/neutered at least a total of 20 of my own and foster dogs, and none of them ever wore a collar or bothered the stitches.
I've always kept a collar handy incase I needed it...but it's never been used.

I wonder why more vets are not using the surgical glue?????

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 07-08-2005, 01:53 PM

I think the surgical glue is great too. I've been having her wear the cone in the crate (she hates it and apparently attacked it last night). But when she's out and around me, she doesn't even seem aware that she HAS a wound!

This may seem like an ignorant question, but do they remove the dog's uterus during a spay? Or just the ovaries? I'm not sure what exactly they do.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Yes, they remove both. Ovariohysterectomy (I think) is the full term for spay.

Old 07-08-2005, 03:00 PM
One of the Old Folks

Yep...they take out the whole works.
On a young dog that has not had a heat or had pups...it's very tiny...fairly simple and quick.
Nothing makes a vet curse more then trying to spay a fat dog...they have to cut through layers of fat before they can even locate the uterus and then dig and hunt around for the ovaries

Glad that your pup is feeling fine and happy. The younger they are when spayed the faster they seem to recover.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 07-09-2005, 02:36 AM

I think the recovery time according to the pup is misleading because she wants to run and jump and play and everything already. I'm fighting with her to keep her calm. Lord help us if she gets the zoomies! BTW, the cone thing is history. I went out for dinner so I put it on her. Came back and it's off and she chewed the ends that snap together.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:14 PM

My brother had his newly adopted Rotti (she's 1 1/2) desexed and it was written on the paperwork "no vigorous exercise for 2 weeks until the stitches are removed", that may be due to her size and it being a bigger operation as she was older.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:29 AM

I dont envy you..having been thru a few neuters and a spay around here with 3 very active dogs! I did somehow manage to keep them all semi-quiet for a week, it took tons of chewies, kongs and mellowness on my part.

I would think a walk would be ok. I remember my vet recommending only go outside on a leash to potty.

I never used the cone on any of my dogs, if they started chewing or noticing the incisions I would use a cream my vet gave me (similar to bitter apple) and put it around the incision so they wouldn't go after it.