Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2005, 11:24 PM

too much glucosamine

Okay as many have read I have had some food issues with chewy as of now he is on a food that seems to be doing great for him so that solved my other problem is this. this food does not have glucosamine in it at all. I noticed before that with suppliments and it in his food he does very well but now he doesn't get it in his food so here is what I need to know..

The bottle says 4 chewables a day can I give him more and how much more should I give him or will 4 be enough to do him?

I have never owned a dog that needed this and still learning about it.
thanks

oh yea can you give a dog too much glucosamine?

Last edited by chewys mom; 04-23-2005 at 11:25 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Valued Member

You don't say how much glucosamine is in each chewable.....and is there anything else in there besides glucosamine?

I gave my dog 1500mg glucosamine/1200mg chondroitin per day and she did fine with that. As far as overdosing, it is a nutraceutical not a medication, so "too much" would likely be determined by gastro upset in the individual dog if you exceed his tolerable dose. In any case, there is no point in giving him more than his body can use or you are just throwing your money away.

My dog had intestinal disease and had no problems with the dose I gave.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:51 AM

see shows that I still have more to learn......

Okay 8 in 1 excell glucosamine
vitamine C
bottle says this

glucosamine
hydrochloride........................500 mg.
vitamine C...............................100 mg.

says on bottle in front with antioxidants

that is all it says besides the dosage and such.

thank you.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Valued Member

I'd think 4 is plenty....are you giving this because of a problem he's having, or just as a preventative?

One thing to keep in mind is that the Vitamin C in there could cause loose stools or diarrhea if the dose is higher than he can handle. Dogs, unlike us, manufacture their own Vitamin C, so if he has a problem with it you can find something without the C in there and see if he does better with it.

I've used Schiff Move Free for my dog (made for humans). I've recently discovered another Schiff product called Lubriflex with glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, chinese skullcap and black catechu that has done wonders for my own back. I would have used this for my dog, had I known about it....(I'm sorry, Luna, sweetheart that I didn't find it sooner).

Old 04-24-2005, 02:04 PM

Regular Vitamin C is hard on a dog's stomach. He'll likely have some runny/loose stools. Ester C is a good supplement for joints, and isn't hard on their stomachs.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:12 PM

I think that lubriflex is a very new product! I've only recently seen hyaluronic acid widely available. I special ordered some for Hilda last year and it was really expensive. now you can even get it at walmart. someone once posted the recommended dose of glucosamine for dogs, it was pretty high. I give Hilda 2500 mg of glucosamine a day. I'm getting ready to lower her dose to 1000-1500 a day with cosiquin.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:17 PM

Chewys mom, I suggest you do a search for glucosomine. There must be at least 25 threads in the past 2 years disussing dosages, different forms, brands... everything!

Old 04-24-2005, 04:25 PM

Ben & Baron both get 2000mg of glucosamine daily - 1500 is the minimum for maintenance/preventative. I was told by the vet that dogs with joint problems can benefit from a higher dose of glucosamine. Ben is 6 with a tiny bit of arthritis in his shoulder. The glusocamine has done wonders for him (and me too!).

On a side note, I had a foster girlie that ate half of a brand new unopened bottle of 200 glucosamine/chondroitin pills...I got home very late and she was sleeping...no clue how long before she had eaten them...so I didn't want to give anything to make her vomit...just made sure she drank ALOT of water. She pooped out about 20 of them the following day...and had the WORST gas for several days after that. I asked the vet about eating that much and he told me to expect pooping of undigested pills and maybe some stomach upset...

Is the dosage of the Glucosamine you listed per PILL or per DOSE? Ben's pills are 500 mgs per PILL...he gets 2 in the morning, 2 at night with each meal - 2000 mg total.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:04 PM

My brother's Rottweiler, Roman, did not do well on Glucosamine at all. It gave him gas and loose stools.....just something to think about if your dog has tummy upset already....with most dogs it is no problem.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:26 PM

Okay I will get one with the the vit. C wow first the food now I find out that the free feeding can have this loose stool issue and now this stuff. My poor baby. When I got chewy they told me he was on the suppliments and it was reconmend by the vet so I have just made sure he has had them. I will do research on this then and get one without the Vit C. I had said when we got him that we had a handicap dog because they made him sound like he could barely walk and couldn't do stairs and everything well he does all that just fine. He runs jumps, plays everything. He jumps into the van and everything.... The longer I have him the more I seem to see that he needs more care than the average rotti. Not that I mind but I was not prepared for all this.

the food this person had him on didn't do him good he was thin very thin not underweight but not thick like he should be. I have made him look so much healthier but I guess I need to learn more here. Even though I was not prepared for a dog that needed so much more extra like a shelter dog needs from my understanding I am glad we have him because I know he has a better life with us. He sees the world and goes places and gets to live inside and lots of attention.
okay I will check into the pills.
oh yea the amounts were per pill....
thanks everyone.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:34 AM

Usually the amount of glucosamine in dog food is too low to be of any real use. It's a marketing ploy (that typically works quite well). Supplementation is the best way to get a useful level in a dog. My guys are on Cosequin DS, and were getting 1500mg Glucosamine/1200mg Chondroitin every day, but have been cut back some (per the bottle's recommendation).