Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2005, 09:56 AM

What to do when dog eats glass bits?

For starters, we have various paper products and foam bits, the main course is a jar of vaseline (some plastic included for texture), and for dessert, we have......a lightbulb!! To wash this lovely meal down, we have an old 2 liter (about 1/3 full) of raspberry tea. Afterwards, a teeth brushing for good measure.

Yes, this is what my rottn monster got into yesterday because someone (DH or DH's niece ) did not close his crate correctly, and he escaped. He was so proud of himself when I got home to find the mess.

Obviously, I will watch for changes in his disposition and blood in his stool, so far nothing. I don't know how much of the lightbulb he ate--the base was still there, and there were a lot of little pieces of the glass, but it was hard to tell if there was enough there to make a whole bulb. Also, I don't know how much vaseline he ate because I don't know where he got that container from so I don't know how much was in it. Will the glass pass OK, if it's small enough maybe? Or will the vaseline help grease the way? Seriously, will the vaseline hurt him? I'm thinking not, but...

Old 04-22-2005, 10:08 AM

You might want to try the Cotton Ball Remedy, but I would also check with your vet. Yikes!

Old 04-22-2005, 10:43 AM

Miabella--Thanks for that link--I've never heard about that! I think I will try it just to be on the safe side. Although, maybe some of the foam bits he ate (from a torn dog bed), in combo with the vaseline, might provide some of the same function!

What a little goober he is!!!

I'm going to call the vet too... I've been wanting to stop by there (he loves going to visit them, go figure!) to weigh him anyways, so I guess he just gave me more motivation, huh?

Old 04-22-2005, 01:08 PM

Hmmm... why did the title of my thread change??? I'm not asking about cotton balls...

I called my vet and am waiting to hear back, but the tech said not to do the cotton balls as there's a chance of impaction. I'm guessing we'll just have to monitor him.

Has anyone had any experience with their dog eating glass?

Old 04-22-2005, 01:23 PM

Rocco crunched into a glass ornament at Christmas time. I couldn't tell how much he actually ate, if any, because it was in mostly little pieces. I freaked, of course. Then fed him mashed potatoes and cottage cheese in hopes of giving the glass something to stick into on the way through. I didn't know about the cotton ball thing then. He didn't have any problems but I watched him very closely for a couple days.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:41 PM

Ah ha! Thread title changed again -- thank you moderator! I thought maybe it was something I mistakenly did last time...

Patty--thanks for your reply. I figured we would be playing the waiting game. I didn't even think to feed him something "sticky" last night. So no ill effects for Rocco I take it?

I talked with DH about it, and he said that the crate door was latched properly. I don't know if I totally believe him , because then that means that the little goober knows how to get out of his crate! We will have to buy some kind of snap or clip as an added measure. DH mentioned something about the sulfur dioxide inside the light bulbs, and now I'm doubly worried!

Old 04-22-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfish
DH mentioned something about the sulfur dioxide inside the light bulbs, and now I'm doubly worried!
I'm certainly no expert but I would think if that were an issue you'd be seeing something in the way of symptoms by now. And, yes, Rocco was just fine. The big goober! He loves to traumatize his mother!

Old 04-22-2005, 01:58 PM

Have you spoken with the vet yet? I'm not so sure I wouldn't be using the cotton ball remedy for swallowed glass to keep shards from lodging in tissue.

http://www.dog.com/vet/holidays/03.html

Step one is to check the dog's entire mouth for blood, cuts, or glass splinters and to flush the mouth to remove any remnants. Step two is to call your veterinarian's office for guidance. Step three (unless you receive other recommendations from your vet) is to soak in water 2-3 individual cotton balls (or 1/2-balls, for cats or small dogs). Use real cotton, not synthetic cotton. Compress each piece of wet cotton into the shape of a pill and administer it as a "pill" by pushing it down the throat. The cotton fibers can sometimes gather up safely small glass shards that may have lodged in the esophagus. Step four is to give the dog a generous portion of high-fiber bread: 1/2 loaf for large dogs, 1/8 - 1/4 loaf for small dogs. You may put egg yolk on the bread to make it more palatable. After this, for at least 3 - 4 days, watch for the following "danger signs": (1) blood in or near the mouth or rectum; (2) pale gums (note: look at them NOW, so you know what is "normal" for your dog); (3) repeated episodes of vomiting; (4) straining during a bowel movement; (5) "hunched-up" stance, lowering of the forequarters (lower than the hindquarters), repeated glancing at or nipping at the side of the body, and other indications of abdominal pain; or (6) absence of bowel movements. Any of these signs could indicate a problem which might require early veterinary intervention: call your vet right away.

Old 04-22-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfish
I talked with DH about it, and he said that the crate door was latched properly.
If you have a wire crate that can be folded, if the dog starts bouncing around, sometimes the clips can pop off and the front or back panel will fall inwards and the dog can get out. I've had this happen once. You can prevent this happening by securing the clips to the frame of the crate with a piece of wire. Just be sure the ends of the wire are twisted to the outside, so the dog doesn't get any ideas about chewing on them.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:10 PM

Just heard back from the vet...he said to keep a close eye on him until Tuesday (4 days), and at that point, if everything is going in and out normally, then we're probably in the clear. Infection is possible...

moondog--thank you for that info! I'm still undecided on the cotton balls, but the high fiber bread sounds like a good idea. I will check his gums regularly and watch for straining and/or blood when he does his "business".

2rotties2luv--thank you for your reply! It is a wire crate, but it's not the kind that can be folded easily. There are metal clips bent around the edges at the corners that would take pliers to loosen, so we're OK that way. You have to lift the door up and hook these 2 rounded 'prongs' through and behind the wire of the crate. Then there is a sliding latch that goes through a looped wire on the crate. So, he would have to slide the latch then lift the door to get out...which I suppose he can do! I'm thinking I can get a clip of some sort for the latch so that he can't slide it out.

I'm going to be one paranoid mom for the next few days! Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 04-25-2005, 04:34 PM

Just a quick update...the rottn monster seems to be fine. His stool is OK, no blood that I've seen, energy and disposition all normal, eating fine. So, I think we are going to clear this one...

I found where he scammed the light bulb from though. It was in a box on the floor in the spare bedroom, and there are like 5 other loose bulbs in there too. So when I first saw that I freaked thinking he ate more than one, but I only saw the base of one bulb near the crunched up glass, and since he seems fine, I'm sticking with the 'just the one' theory.

He has eaten (and subsequently pooped) foam bits from a torn dog bed, so I'm hoping that does the same thing as the cotton balls. Even still, I will be paranoid for a while...

Man...what a little goober!!! Thanks for all of your replies!!!

Old 04-25-2005, 04:42 PM

Glad to hear he's doing fine. Thanks for the update!

Old 04-25-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rotties2luv
You can prevent this happening by securing the clips to the frame of the crate with a piece of wire. Just be sure the ends of the wire are twisted to the outside, so the dog doesn't get any ideas about chewing on them.
Also be sure that when you ask DH to wire the crate that you also mention to him that no matter what a good man he was for not leaving the wire ends in the crate, long wire ends outside the crate for you (me!) to shred your hip on is also not a good idea!

Glad to hear your 'goober" is doing fine!

Sky Valley's Making Thunder, "Panzer"
^Fritz^~rescue~
^Mocha^ ~rescue~
^Taz^
^Moose^~rescue~