Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2004, 10:17 AM

Can a dogs legs fall asleep?

Just curious, can a dog's leg fall asleep like pins and needles? You know like if you lay on your arm the wrong way and it goes to sleep on you and ends up all tingly or numb?

Old 04-08-2004, 10:56 AM

Re: Can a dogs legs fall asleep?

Yes. They can lay in such a way as to constrict some blood vessels. I don't recall if it was this forum or another board. But I remember a story from an owner who thought her dog had been injured somehow unknown to her. Or, that she was showing signs of beginning hip displasia...only to find the dog's leg was asleep. (WHEW!)

Old 04-08-2004, 11:05 AM

Ya im no expert on rottweiler's yet, but my dad used to breed champion brittany spaniels and that happend quite often. Anyone with limbs and blood circulating can lay wrong and cause a leg or paw to fall asleep ..its nothing to worry about my dad had the same problem with his Cinnamon freckles david

Old 04-08-2004, 12:45 PM

Thanks
I was curious because sometimes when Simba wakes up he will limp for 2 or 3 steps, have a good stretch then be on his way like there was nothing wrong.

Old 04-08-2004, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba
Thanks
I was curious because sometimes when Simba wakes up he will limp for 2 or 3 steps, have a good stretch then be on his way like there was nothing wrong.
My GSD does that too. She is 9 years old and i was worried that she may have the begining signs of arthritis. I guess front leg just falls asleep when she lays down.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybluetx23
My GSD does that too. She is 9 years old and i was worried that she may have the begining signs of arthritis. I guess front leg just falls asleep when she lays down.
Same here with Jager. She does have arthritis in her 'hocks'. So sometimes when she wakes up she limps a couple steps. I brought it to the attention of my vet and asked her if Jager was in pain. She said probably not and that Rotts are very 'stotic'.

J. Barry

Old 04-09-2004, 08:54 AM

I think it is fairly unusual for dogs to lie in such a manner as to cut off the blood supply although I guess it can occur. I'd suggest that you note the position she is sleeping in. If it is occuring on a regular basis I would still suspect something organic. Being stoic doesn't mean there isn't something causing discomfort, it means that the dog works through it.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:15 PM

I agree with you. I have been keeping an eye out for it, no kidding but she hasn't done it since I mentioned it to her vet.

J. Barry

Old 04-10-2004, 08:54 PM

JudiW,
What do you mean by organic???

Thanks

Old 04-10-2004, 09:05 PM

I would suggest that if a dog is repeatedly lame when rising, that there is more likely a reason other than a limb falling asleep. Front or rear? Bilateral or on one side - if one side, the same side each time?