Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 10:37 PM

Is walking on pavement bad?

We don't have sidewalks in our neighborhood, just the paved road and sand. I walk my girl on a paved road up a hill (about 1/4 mile) then cut up a vacant lot into the desert and then we walk on a sandy dirt road that is hilly. I've read things in posts that make me wonder if walking on pavement is bad for a 10 mo old pup with hd. We only walk on the road, no running or trotting. If she is frisky, I let her chase sticks and run a bit only when we get to the desert. But now I'm worried about whether the time we walk on the pavement is hard on her hips. I also wonder how I'd know if I'm walking her too far. About the only time she is sore anymore is when we take longer walks, I don't want to overdo. She had been swimming about 25 minutes total, but we usually walk longer, should that be ok? thanks again!

Old 03-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Valued Member

Re: Is walking on pavement bad?

It should be fine as long as you are not force walking her to where she actually pounding on the pavement (no jogging). Some of us live in the cities and our dogs are regularly on pavement.

A dog with HD usually fares best if it is lean, fit and well muscled and it seems you have discovered the distance she can go and remain comfortable.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:12 PM

Well, walking on a paved road up hill is not the best surface you could pick for her to walk on. Is there some way you could avoid that part of your routine? On the other hand you can't keep her in a vacumn and she does need exercise but not to the point that you over due it. If you are walking her too far she's going to come up lame and/or limp and that's when you'll know that you have to cut back some. That's about the best advice I can give.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:56 AM

1/4 mile isn't far at all, I can't see how that would hurt one bit.

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:13 AM

Walking on pavement keeps their nails trim (they scrape on the ground, saves you trimming) and the only thing you should really check for is sores on her pawpads.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:27 AM

I avoid black (street asphalt) pavement in the summer because it gets too hot. Other than that, Daisy walks on neighborhood sidewalks 90% of the time. It does keep her nails trimmed. We go to the park Saturday and Sunday mornings for a long romp on grass with the tennis ball. We do not jog or run on pavement. :p

Bailey, Boxer mix, adopted Jan 2009 at apx 2 years old
Daisy, Rottie-with-the-beautiful-tail, 2000-2007 at the Bridge (with Alex Cocker 1984-1998 and Toby Beagle 1982-1999)

Old 03-22-2004, 12:34 PM

You can get what is called "bag balm" usually found in drugstores, it comes in a square green tin can, and is similar to vasoline.

This is a good help for those who have cracked paw pads, and if the dog licks it, it is "ok", not toxic.... I wouldn't put alot on, but enough so it can soak in...you don't want really moist pads, but the cracked ones have to hurt...

Old 03-22-2004, 03:06 PM

Judi W,
Am I reading you correctly? Is it not a good idea to take your rottie jogging?
(I dont understand how to use the quote feature. Sorry bout that )

Old 03-22-2004, 03:20 PM

Asphalt "gives" more than concrete, so, walking on it is potentially BETTER than walking on a cement sidewalk as it's easier on joints.

SuMdUmGuY... The reason JOGGING is bad for dogs is that it is at a CONSTANT pace. Dogs aren't meant to run long distances at a constant pace, they go in short bursts of speed, or lope along..

[SIZE=1]Remembering Aussie 7-27-03 - miss you big guy[/SIZE]

Old 03-22-2004, 07:35 PM

So if I were to take it easy on the dog, then he/she should be okay correct?
It's not bad for the hip/elbows? I am a U.S. Marine and I plan to purchase a pup in the near future...it would be nice if my rottie could go for a short run with me every once in a while...

Old 03-22-2004, 07:44 PM

I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but in response to Stubby's comment on jogging for long periods of time being harmful, I believe that the Rottweiler's natural and most comfortable gait is in fact a nice slow trot, or jog, and that they perform this gait for certain lengths of time while performing their many duties (carting, etc...). I'm sure this doesn't mean prolonged running on pavement is okay, but I'm sure taking them for an occasional leisurely jog could be beneficial.

-Camille

Old 03-22-2004, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuMdUmGuY
Judi W,
Am I reading you correctly? Is it not a good idea to take your rottie jogging?
(I dont understand how to use the quote feature. Sorry bout that )
This particular dog has hip dysplasia, so extra care needs to be taken.
Jogging is fine; but it is generally suggested one waits until the dog is about 18 months old and the joints & bones are strong before doing any sustained high impact exercise.

(For the quote feature, use the reply button on the particular post you are replying to. You can delete the irrelevant parts if it doesn't all apply to your response.) ;)

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.