Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2003, 06:22 PM

Swollen bag after neutering

Now Zack has been neutered for 1 day and his bag just swolled up during the day.

Is this normal in large breed?

It looks like he is still intact because the bag is swollen so much, but everthing else looks good. The vet told me to put something warm on for 5 minutes, is this going to help?

Just worried about my dog, wouldn't like for him to get sick.

Ida owned by Zack the rottie

Old 12-03-2003, 06:41 PM

Is he running aroud like a madman? Excess or even regular amounts of exercise and/or rough play will cause swelling most of the time...keep him quiet, leash walks only for a few days, moist heat on the affected area for a few minutes a few times a day, and he should be OK. If the area is painful to the touch or sensitive, or looks infected, get him back to the vet ASAP.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:35 AM

You need to keep him quiet and confined for the first couple days after neutering. The more he runs and jumps the worse the swelling can be. Also, be sure that he is not licking it too much, excessive licking will cause swelling too. If the swelling doesn't look better soon, contact your vet asap.

Good luck :)

Sara

Old 12-04-2003, 01:41 AM

I agree with RottieMomCt .
My Dobie did the same thing when he was neutered at 2 yrs old . Didn't do the heat therapy ( wasn't mentioned by my vet so I didn't know about it ) but strict rest with leash only bathroom breaks helped . Took 3 or 4 days for things to return to normal for him.
The other thing to watch out for is if it feels funny to him he may start licking in that area . Just a natural doggie response but it could cause problems . If he is licking an elizabethan collar may be needed . Your vet probably has them .
I made one for my rescue rottie Bruce as I adopted him aged 10 yrs with bilateral entropian . Right after surgery he became obcessed with rubbing his surgery areas around his eyes . A cat litter bucket came to the rescue :-) Cut off bottom with a Dremel tool , smoothed edges with same tool . Then drilled holes 1" up from bottom , threaded several shoelaces thru holes . Slipped bucket over rottie head and tied it by the shoelaces to his collar . Nice sturdy elizabethan collar .

Of course , as with any medical concern be sure to talk with your vet about what is going on .

Hugs to you and Zack :)
Henry~[FONT=Arial]CD,O-TN-E,S-WV-N,NCC,NAC,CSL3-F,CSL3-S,Blood Donor.2007 NADAC #1 Tunnelers Rottweiler [/FONT]
Blaze~[FONT=Arial]S-TN-N,TG-N,WV-N, NCC, Blood Donor.[/FONT]Beauceron

Old 12-04-2003, 03:09 AM

" A cat litter bucket came to the rescue :-) Cut off bottom with a Dremel tool , smoothed edges with same tool . Then drilled holes 1" up from bottom , threaded several shoelaces thru holes . Slipped bucket over rottie head and tied it by the shoelaces to his collar . Nice sturdy elizabethan collar ".
Wow what a GREAT idea!Thanks for that tip. It's great in a pinch.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:56 AM

Zack isn't running around like a madman, he has been sleepy since I took him home from the vet.
He has been starting to lick so I'm getting one of those collars for him today.

Thank you for your advise!

Old 12-04-2003, 10:13 AM

When I had Rocco neutered his sack was swollen for a couple days - was not overdoing the exercise. My vet told me to apply an ice pack (which I covered with a towel) to the site for 5 minutes a couple times a day. Worked wonders for Rocco!

Old 12-04-2003, 10:22 AM

" A cat litter bucket came to the rescue :-) Cut off bottom with a Dremel tool , smoothed edges with same tool . Then drilled holes 1" up from bottom , threaded several shoelaces thru holes . Slipped bucket over rottie head and tied it by the shoelaces to his collar . Nice sturdy elizabethan collar "
Wow what a GREAT idea!Thanks for that tip. It's great in a pinch..

It held up great to a 115lb rottie sliding it across the floor in attempts to remove it . Not to mention the ramming it into the wall and the front leg contortions in an effort to get it off his head :D . Though he tried to convince me he couldn't possably pee with it on We spent A LOT of time outside with me telling him he's got no choice but to do his business . I won , eventually he'd go .
The bucket size is just right that it fits around the typical sized big dog food and water bowls . It was hilarious to see as the bucket touched the floor , you'd just hear munching or drinking noises .

Ida - if you cann't get or make a collar right away put some shorts on Zack . Alot of boys tolerate wearing boxer type shorts to help prevent licking . It's really important to stop him from licking .
Good luck :D
Henry~[FONT=Arial]CD,O-TN-E,S-WV-N,NCC,NAC,CSL3-F,CSL3-S,Blood Donor.2007 NADAC #1 Tunnelers Rottweiler [/FONT]
Blaze~[FONT=Arial]S-TN-N,TG-N,WV-N, NCC, Blood Donor.[/FONT]Beauceron

Old 12-04-2003, 02:19 PM

Thank you guys!

I bougth a e-collar for him today and started to do a few 15 minutes walk with him today. It seems like it is already starting to go down. He is not happy about the e-collar, he just stands there until I take him somewhere. He doesn't move by himself.

I should have bought one of this collars long ago, when I wanted him to be still. :D

Old 12-04-2003, 04:22 PM

I got my first show dog neutered at age three. He had some swelling for nearly a month. I joked that if I knew it be like that, I would have entered him in some shows.:D He never licked it and he is very lazy anyway so exercise wasn't the problem. It just looked like he wasn't neutered for a few weeks.
Sam CD RE
CH Louie CD RA
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD