Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2003, 02:38 PM

broken toe nail

Yuck. Just noticed that my male's back toe nail looks to have cracked off and the quick is exposed. It may have happened while running around outside or something. He's lying on the couch so looks fine but just wondering what I can/should do. Here's a picture of what it looks like.

Old 10-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Valued Member

Well, I'm no expert but, I wouldn't do anything.

The exposed area seems to have "hardened", so to speak, and if it's not causing him pain, why do anything.

It doesn't look like a "fresh" break.
Ian, Godspeed, big guy
R'Legacy's Bravo Company "Bravo"

Old 10-07-2003, 04:01 PM

Yeah, I agree. All you really can do is keep an eye on it, that it doesn't develop any other problems with it. I would think it will be OK. It may grow back strange, I've seen them loose a nail and it wasn't right for years but didn't cause any problems beyond looking strange.

Old 10-07-2003, 04:37 PM

Thanks! It just looks like it would be painful but i'll keep an eye on it.
The white paws are because we are renovating our main floor and the dogs are tracking around the drywall dust when they come in.

Old 10-07-2003, 04:49 PM

It looks like my brother in laws rottie girls toenails...she ended up losing ALL of her toenails due to a fungus. Check her other toenails - even those that appear OK...if they seem 'loose' when you wiggle them, I'd give the vet a call, and/or get thedog in to have them checked out.

All of her toenails fell/cracked off, and now are growing back somewhat normally, but she was on antibiotics for a long time because of it, as well as nightly foot soaks and anti-fungal lotion. This all for a dog who HATES to have her feet handled - I bet THAT was a treat!

Old 10-07-2003, 04:59 PM

So dogs can get this fungal infection just like humans do...:( I had no idea, and thanks for the picture, someone like me would have no idea what that looked like.

My girl has had a few chipped nails where the black part has just gotten splintered, but nothing like that.

Old 10-07-2003, 05:16 PM

My Diva did the same thing to her toenail, but there was lots of blood and the broken nail just hung there. :( I had the vet remove the piece that was hanging and medicated it everyday. However, your dog's nail doesn't seem to be quite as bad as Diva's was. I agree that you should just keep an eye on it. And maybe check him for a fungal infection like RottiMomCT suggested. I didn't know that dogs could get fungal infections either!

Good luck and I hope he heals up quickly.