Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2003, 09:44 PM

Enteric-coated Aspirin vs. Buffered Aspirin

I was wondering what the consensus is on Enteric-coated aspirin? I really don't have any experience with it. I've only given my dogs buffered aspirin. I was at the supermarket yesterday to pick up some more buffered aspirin, but couldn't find any. The enteric-coated aspirin seems to be replacing buffered. I asked a pharmacist about using the enteric-coated aspirin, for dogs, just after it came out a few years ago. He admitted he really wasn't sure, but suggested it probably would be better to stick with the buffered. I haven't had to think about it again until now. So, should I comb the stores for the buffered asprin and stock up, or do I go with the enteric-coated stuff? Thanks a lot for any help given.

Old 07-30-2003, 09:47 PM
Valued Member

From my vet. Use the Ascripton which has Maalox in it which is better than the buffered.

The coated asprin frequently goes right through the same way it went in as the dog's digestive tract is too short to take down the coating. You can score the coating, but then you might just as well be using plain asprin.

The ascripton is more expensive, but a better investment than the others.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:15 PM

I second the ascriptin. My vet suggested it as well.

Trinitii