Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2003, 06:21 PM

Growth on leg

My dog Bosley (5yr male) has a growth on his right hind leg just below, and on the outside of the "knee". The growth started out the size of a BB pellet, but is now the size of a dime (this is within a month). It was pure white in the beginning, but is very red now, and even started bleeding the other day (but it does not look punctured) it sort of looks like it is ulcerated or something. I took him to the vet, and they say it may be an infection and put him on anitbiotics with it wrapped up. I was told to keep an eye on it, and if it gets bigger and doesn't go away, then it may be cancer or something (more rigurous testing). I am just wondering if anyone has ever seen something that resembles this.

Thank you!

Old 03-25-2003, 06:56 PM

Read another current thread here, about Odin. It could easily be nothing important, but it could also be quite serious. Definitely stay on top of it. You might even want a second opinion. Good luck!!
@RB--Peaches, Dev, Jake, Cecil, Rocky, Delilah, & Homer

Old 03-25-2003, 07:14 PM

Yes my dog Odin has something similar right now.

Read the following thread, and there is a link to a pic in there.

He goes in for surgery tomorrow.

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/sho...threadid=22930

Mommy to:
Isa the teenie cihuahua
Bandit the woncer-mutt rescue pitte
Ella - the 5 year old human child :)

Old 03-26-2003, 11:57 AM

I saw the picture on Odin, that one looks like it is going inside the skin, Bosley's is protruding approx. 1/4 of an inch. Was Odin's a bump (an "outy") at first, or was it just a sore? We will definately have surgery if it is cancer, but can someone give me a ballpark for what a surgery would/should cost before I ask the vet? I will need to re-cover his leg tonight, so I will be able to see if it has gotten bigger.

Thank you for your replies!!

Old 03-28-2003, 01:39 PM

My dog had something that sounded like that and it was called a Histiocytoma. The first vet I went to gave me antibiotics. I went to another vet for something else and this vet saw it and told me what it was and gave me prednisone. It shrunk up in a few weeks.

It started as a small bump but grew and would bleed.

It usually happens on young dogs.