Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2002, 06:17 AM

Eye problems

Somebody please help

Inca has severe eye problems. It started with him rubbing his right eye - it was obviously sore and itchy so we took him to the vet. After a couple of visits and eye creams she then diagnoses that he has an ulcer on his eye. So we get another cream but the problem doesn't go away. Then she diagnoses entrophia and subsequently operates on his right eye. However the ulcer ended leaving a small white patch on his eye - luckily it is not too obvious.

Just as we thought he was alright - his left eye starts playing up. Back to the vets and she diagnoses more entrophia. To cut a long long story short - following thousands of dollars, weeks of eyes drops and two operations on his right eye and three on his left (both upper and lower on this eye) we think we have solved the problem.

At this time we had to go overseas for about three weeks and put both our dogs in kennels about one hours drive from where we live (they came highly recommended so we thought the distance was worth it). The guy at the kennels assures us that we will have no problems with Inca's eyes at the kennel because there are no native plants there. And guess what - three weeks later - and he was right.

So we take the dogs home and about a week later Inca has once again got a sore eye. Back to the vets and now... she's saying it's allergies. Were those operations really necessary? Inca went through hell with them and he has been in some discomfort for months. We are now trying to eliminate plants like Wandering Jew out of our garden but the area where we live is full of native plants and pollens - Australia is bad for allergies and I get hayfever too although not severely. Does anybody know what I can possibly do to save my poor boy from any more problems and operations. Every time we think he is ok it starts again. We are distraught. Our other rotty does not seem sensitive to these problems (thank God). Someone suggested human antihistamines but I'm not sure about this. I also read on this site about some type of eyedrops but they were from America and I'm not sure what they were.

Please help someone. His eye is sore at the moment and we are putting cream from the vets in but as soon as it gets better, it seems to get worse again.

Old 11-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Valued Member

Yes, the surgeries were necessary if your dog had entropion. Entropion is a physical problem with the eyelid, the vet can see the problem by looking at the eye. It's entirely possible that your dog has both entropion and allergies. Please don't administer things like antihistamines without discussing it with your vet first. Have you tried products meant to simulate natural tears? They're eye drops (usually called "Natural Tears" or something similar) which are basically just saline, often dogs with irritated eyes have dry eyes. But because it's your dog's vision we're talking about, please see your vet before you start medicating with anything at home. Good luck! :)