Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Stomach problems

Need advise on any stomach supplements for Atilla 19 months-93 lb. We have been battling soft stools for over 2 months. He went throug the vet tests and all came out ok. He has been eating Hill's w/d prescription and when on it has hard stools, but tried to add regular dry food (right now Acana lamb and apple which has 4 % fiber and pumpkin and sweet potatoes and oates in it)- he goes soft again. Given him pumkin puree and plain yougurt-not helping much. I saw several stomach supplements and would appreciate any advice for it. Should I get any and try given him to regulate his soft stools. Thanks
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1080398 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Valued Member

Re: Stomach problems

You've been battling soft stools for two plus months? What were Atilla's stools like before this?

How much are you feeding? Sometimes overfeeding causes loose stools.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Valued Member

If you are not overfeeding (check that first), I've found that foods with pumpkin/sweet potato as ingredients don't work as well as adding one or the other as fresh food. When I give my girl some fresh baked yam, I see a real difference in the consistency of her stool...they are not bad to begin with, but they are downright beautiful when she gets a 1-1/2" slice off a fresh baked yam.

Chili von der Frolikind UDX4 OM5 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi" CGC
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Vintage Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I see a real difference in the consistency of her stool...they are not bad to begin with, but they are downright beautiful when she gets a 1-1/2" slice off a fresh baked yam.
Really. No soft stools here but nice to know, and file away for future reference. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Valued Member

Also, what was he eating before he started having soft stools?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 PM

I know this isn't a popular opinion on this forum, so I am reluctant to stick my neck out. But I am basing my advise on over 22 years in this breed, owning numerous dogs & talking to many breeders with many more years of experience.

Some Rottweilers don't do well on the fancy new foods. They are too rich for them. Too high in protein & too high in fat. Too many complicated ingredients that sound good to humans, but don't sit well with dogs (spinach? turnip greens? apples? blueberries? cranberries?) Even my vet has told me that if she had a dollar for every dog that presents in her practice with gastro distress while on Orijen, she would be able to retire.

In my personal experience, the worst foods for soft stool were Orijen, Acana, Innova, Canidae & California Natural. These are the food that are most often recommended in this forum & people are made to feel like bad, negligent dog owners if they don't feed one of these popular new foods.

Foods I have had good luck with have been ProPlan, plain old Iams Chunks (in the green bag), or the NutraNuggets sold at Costco. Something with around a 25% protein & 14% fat ratio. My dogs have thrived on these foods. Good muscle tone, shiny coat, sparkle in the eye & poops that could roll down a hill.

OK folks, let the thumbs down fly.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Valued Member

Well, I won't give you a thumbs down, but I will say I'd rather trust the ingredients and add some fresh baked sweet potato than use a food where I question the quality of the ingredients.

Some dogs eat lousy food (I'm talkin' Ol Roy and Kibbles 'n Bits type stuff, not necessarily the foods you mentioned) their entire lives and do just fine - I prefer not to gamble, though!

Chili von der Frolikind UDX4 OM5 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi" CGC
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Valued Member

SamIam: I think opinions are good and welcomed here on this forum. What bugs me is when people post in what reads as a negative tone and end just as negatively with something like 'let the thumbs down fly'. Just my $0.02. I personally appreciate reading opinions/experiences of all kinds including your post above (if it didn't have the negative jabs in it).

That said, I would not feed Iams, Science Diet or other foods of the like any more than I would fill my body with pre-processed foods and fillers. There are other versions of higher quality foods other than standard Orijen, etc that can work for a dog. I would evaluate whether you are overfeeding first as that seems a logical place to start. Overfeeding will cause loosies. I also do sweet potato for my guys...a slice a day. There is a healthy alternative from my natural pet store as a treat format that is a bit chewier than cooked slices that my guys love. But the cooked version recommended above will be cheaper.

Other experience I've had, my old guy had softies frequently for years. He did the best on Solid Gold Holistic kibble. We thought it was tied to food allergies to chicken, corn, etc. However, I switched him to a raw diet a little over a year ago and his stools are now wonderful...and he can eat things like chicken no problem. The only time he had pudding consistency is when I was trying to get the calcium ratio right. Once I figure out the balance that works for him, we've been great. He's happier, healthier, shinier coat, no more old man breath, etc. After switching, I will never go back to commercialized, overcooked, dried out food from a manufacturing plant with who knows what kinds of contaminants again for my dogs, that's my opinion. A raw diet is not any more expensive...in fact, I'm actually saving a bit over the cost of the kibble I was feeding before.

What tests did your vet do?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 PM

I knew my post would open up a controversy. I only posted to offer my opinion because after being on this forum for years, I've noticed a very common thread. Owner has dog that develops diarrhea when switched to "better kibble", vet does numerous tests, dog given metronidazole & prescription kibble, stools go back to normal, owner switches back to one the "forum approved foods" & dog goes back to runny poops. I feel bad for the dog, having to endure diarrhea for weeks on end, & offered a solution based on experience.

I certainly didn't view my post as being any more negative than the literally hundreds of posts I've viewed over the years, chastising people for feeding their dogs "junk".

To the originator of this thread, I stand by my original post that alot of the so-called "better" foods are too rich & cause gastric upset in the dogs. Your mileage may vary, but it wouldn't hurt to try the dog on a simpler food that is lower in fat & protein & see how he does.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I certainly didn't view my post as being any more negative than the literally hundreds of posts I've viewed over the years, chastising people for feeding their dogs "junk".
Using phrases like 'fancy new foods' and 'let the thumbs down fly' are negative, almost snotty comments. I don't read too many negative posts on this forum, albeit there are some. Why not leave those comments out and just post a positive response from your experiences? If you don't like the negative posts you've read, don't be one that does it as well. I appreciate yours and others opinions, just not the jabbing remarks. OP, I hope some of the responses are helpful in solving your pup's tummy issues and that you'll post an update if/when you find the solution. Best.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Valued Member

I don't find Sam's comments "snotty" or "negative" at all. Just a different point of view than usually found on here....

You ought to post more often Sam

Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM

Thanks for comments, we got a little bit away from subject - I kind of asking to help to find supplements for Atilla's stomach. He gets boiled yams and pumpkin-seems like not helping much. He was eating Orijen prior to Acana and only would get 3 cups a day, 1.5 morning and 1.5 at night. He does not get treats or "cookies" - his reward treats are his kibbles- couple of them extra. It makes sense what Sam is talking about - because when he is given Hills prescription, his stools are hard. Now I have to think if I need to switch his food...

Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Valued Member

In all honesty, i don't like using any "supplements" when a change in diet can help.

If your dog were eating a raw diet, I would suggest first increasing the bone content of the diet over all, then if that wasn't working, a change in meat type. Between those two things the soft stools would be gone 95% of the time.

But if the soft stools have been around for a couple of months, what was he eating when they were normal? Is it possible to go back to that?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM

jdawg: Before you try to play "forum nanny" & start coming down on people for how they word their personal opinions, perhaps you should review the negativity in your own posts (see below).

I will reiterate again that not every dog does well on the higher octane foods. They are too rich for some dogs. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
I would not feed Iams, Science Diet or other foods of the like any more than I would fill my body with pre-processed foods and fillers

... commercialized, overcooked, dried out food from a manufacturing plant with who knows what kinds of contaminants again for my dogs, that's my opinion.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatSS View Post
when he is given Hills prescription, his stools are hard. Now I have to think if I need to switch his food...
There is no magic in the Hills w/d or i/d other than the fact that it is low in fat & protein (& high in price).

Ironically, I've never had much luck with Hill's products (caused vomitting). If you want my personal recommendation, I highly recommend picking up a small bag of the Iam's Intestinal Formula from your vet (it is prescription). It comes in dry kibble & canned. Dogs love it & do very well on it, even long term. If you want to stay away from prescription foods, I would try the Iams Chunks.