Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Annual Heartworm Test

I'm just curious as to the need for getting this an annual heartworm test. If you see the same vet and you buy your heartworm medication from the same vet, why do the insist on an annual test?

Is it really necessary and can your dog still get heartworms if on the medication?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Valued Member

Re: Annual Heartworm Test

Yes, a dog can still get heart worm if on preventatives. Preventatives are not 100%- close, but not perfect. The preventatives are labeled so that the vets are required to do a HW test before prescribing HW meds. A script is good for 12 months. So yearly tests to get a year supply of meds.
HW tests are pretty cheap and very quick. I don't do preventatives, but I do check for HW every year. My area is low for HW, but it does exsist.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks for your response. I guess I just assumed they were covered 100% if you gave it regularly and correctly. Good to know.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 PM

None of my dogs have ever been tested for hws, unless they came to me as adults. Most local vets, especially the mobile & low-cost clinics will prescribe generic hw pills.
A heartworm positive dog can be given Heartguard or a generic form (Ivermectin products) but not Interceptor.
I'm a worrier, so my dogs are locked in their crates after being given the pills. Then I check the next morning, to make sure the pill was not spit out.
Our area is extremely high risk, but hw pills are not commonly given. I think the vets are not requiring the test, in order to keep the dogs of the general public on some protection. If they started requiring dogs to be brought in for a yearly check, most owners would just stop giving the pills.
IMO, the pills are effective, as long as you are very vigilant in making sure the pill stays down, but it never hurts to get them checked yearly.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM

My huskies have been on Heartworm treatment since there were six weeks old and my male tested positive for heartworms. The meds are not 100% unfortunately.