Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 AM

Has anyone used Dr Dodds Nutriscan test?

My two yr old intact male has allergy problems. Itching, eye discharge, diarrhea etc. I've tried several different brands of food and protein sources including limited ingredient foods. I just can't figure out specifically what is affecting him and whether or not environmental plays into it.

Has anyone used Dr Dodds NutriScan 1&2 tests with any success? I found the test on Dr Dodds Hemopet website.

Thanks for insight you may have.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:25 PM

Post Re: Has anyone used Dr Dodds Nutriscan test?

Have you e-mailed her??? Ask her if the test would help to figure out his problems. She's really good about answering her e-mails.

Curious to know....what foods have you tried??? What proteins?? For allergies or sensitivities...it's best to try a limited protein diet...meaning one meat source and one carb...cooked diets usually work best for this. Try this for 6 weeks and see if it helps. Make sure it's something he's never had before such as rabbit/sweet potato, or fish/oatmeal, turkey/white potato,etc.
Don't give any dog biscuits, chewies, bones, treats,etc. during this time.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 PM

Re: Has anyone used Dr Dodds Nutriscan test?

I second the suggestion to email Dr Dodds. I just sent my girls blood work to her to look at potential thyroid issues. But I had emailed Jean Dodds in advance with our scenario and some questions - he was increadibly responsive and informative. We are now awaiting the results. I would be very intersted to hear what she has to say, as I also had looked at the Nutriscan test with curiousity.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the insight. I have tried Orijen, Acana, TOTW, California Natural, Evo, Natures Variety Instinct. Differing protein sources include chicken, turkey, fish, lamb. Both grain free and not. Home cooked chicken & rice. Probably more but that's all that come to mind.

I was really fortunate to have a brief phone conversation with both Dr Dodds and Karen whom I was put in contact with. Both very nice & informative. I decided I would try the NutriScan 1 & 2 and thyroid diagnostics.

I know there are a lot of varying degrees of experience here. I was hopeful to hear that someone had tried this testing successfully. I'm waiting for my test kit to arrive next week and I'll return it as soon as possible.

You'd think having as many dogs as I've had over the years I'd be able to figure this out. I feel bad for the poor guy.

I'll report back in regards to my experience if anyone has interest.

BTW nutriscan.org has the most in depth information about the testing.

Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERG09 View Post
Thanks for the insight. I have tried Orijen, Acana, TOTW, California Natural, Evo, Natures Variety Instinct. Differing protein sources include chicken, turkey, fish, lamb. Both grain free and not. Home cooked chicken & rice. Probably more but that's all that come to mind.

I was really fortunate to have a brief phone conversation with both Dr Dodds and Karen whom I was put in contact with. Both very nice & informative. I decided I would try the NutriScan 1 & 2 and thyroid diagnostics.

I know there are a lot of varying degrees of experience here. I was hopeful to hear that someone had tried this testing successfully. I'm waiting for my test kit to arrive next week and I'll return it as soon as possible.

You'd think having as many dogs as I've had over the years I'd be able to figure this out. I feel bad for the poor guy.

I'll report back in regards to my experience if anyone has interest.

BTW nutriscan.org has the most in depth information about the testing.

Thanks again.
Any more info on the test?
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart

Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM

I have received the results from Dr. Dodds. The results as they were returned read either weak or negative. Translating to no positive results on Dr Dodds test to suggest food sensitivities with my dog.

Given my dogs symptoms which were, most notably, loose stools and weight loss in addition to itching I was hoping for something to test positive. What else could explain constant diarrhea .... right? Poor pup.

My dogs problem has been ongoing over several months trying different dog food brands and protein sources. His last food was TOTW which he started to do ok on and then his stools began to turn to diarrhea. I switched him to Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet (Lamb) and his stools have firmed and he's put weight back on.

I'm trying to convince myself to try something non limited ingredient because in order to supply a complete amino acid profile for optimum canine health alternating protein sources are required. Or so I've been told. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So as noted above I've tried many of the better foods. I don't know where to go from here?

Dr. Dodds food sensitivity test like many tests aren't 100% all the time for everyone tested. I knew that going in and my inability to isolate my dogs issues dictated that Nutriscan was worth a try. Just didn't work for me.