Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Lump under spay incision???

I had Tia spayed 11 days ago, and her incision healed really well, but there is a largish hard lump under the incision. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. Any ideas what this might be?
She is the first female I have ever had, all my dogs have been male, so I don't really know what to expect.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Valued Member

Re: Lump under spay incision???

How big is it ? Like a pea, or a walnut ?
Probably nothing to worry about, usually they go down of their own accord. Does she still have her stitches in ? They would be due for removal, so might be causing the body to have a foreign body reaction.
Of course, if you are in any doubt consult with your vet. Most vets would not charge for something like that, it's part of the aftercare of the op.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM

It is about walnut size. She had already worked a couple of the stitches out, so on day 9 I took the rest out with surgical scissors and tweezers. The incision looks really good, there is just that lump. Kinda looks like a big outtie belly button when she lays on her back.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 PM

Show the Vet. It could be a hernia on the incision or it could be simply scar tissue.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 PM

I would take her in to your vet, just in case. It is probably a reaction to the internal suture material. Many times I saw this on dogs that had been too active post spay, if this is the case it will eventually go down to normal.

But it could be a hernia so better safe than sorry.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 PM

Thanks, I will call the vet in the am.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 AM

My Female ( first female dog I have had ) Was very rough near incission for a couple of months after surgery, I pulled the stitches out my self After about two months though everything went back to normal its smooth now and all you can see is a line. I am not telling you to take her to a vet I don't know what yours looks like, But I was worried also and I did take mine to teh vet and he said everything was fine.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiazeusgizmo View Post
I had Tia spayed 11 days ago, and her incision healed really well, but there is a largish hard lump under the incision. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. Any ideas what this might be?
She is the first female I have ever had, all my dogs have been male, so I don't really know what to expect.
I had Alice spayed in Oct at 22 months. She is a very active dog and we used a small dose of sedative and hand walked for 10 days, but she still developed an lump along the entire line of her incision. I took her to the vet immediately upon noticing fearing it was a hernia. After checking the vet didn't think so and thought it was a reaction to the internal stitches, but warned me to bring her back if it got larger. It took a few weeks to go away, but it did. I would have it checked, hernias are nothing to fool with

Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 AM

It could be a seroma, I had one when I was spayed :0) It is just a collection of serum and it will eventually re-absorb. These are very common.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 AM

Hi guys! It went away, really fast actually. She had it for a few days, and then the next day it was half the original size, and then the day after that it was gone! Yay!

Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Yes, that's good.

I was going to add that Kai had the same thing - kind of a bump under the incision, that we noticed about 2 weeks after surgery - the outer incision had already healed.

It went away. :)

Good news!