Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Vets Corner
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Vets Corner This area is designated to the health and welfare of our pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Parvo @ 9-1/2 months old

My fully vaccinated Rott contracted the Parvo virus last week at 9-1/2 months old. I took her into the vet after she showed a day and half of symptoms (Vomiting, Diarrhea, and Lethargy). I was completely surprised when the vet took one look at her and said "Parvo." I had no idea that a dog could still contract the virus after completing the vaccine course, and at her older puppy age. I have had other Rotts, all no longer with me due to other illnesses (cancer, and a heart condition). Although the cancer was devastating, the dog was older (7 years). Nothing compared to seeing a previously healthy, energetic pup get so sick, so fast.

My vet has advised me that she spoke to the vaccine manufacture, and they will be paying up to $2500 for the treatment. This will come in the form of a reimbursement, after the treatment completes, and she is home and well. Of course because of her age/weight she has needed more fluids, and meds so the bill is currently over $3500.

Has anyone dealt with this before? In a 9-1/2 year old? I was told it's pretty rare in a pup this age.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Re: Parvo @ 9-1/2 months old

I have seen Rotts as old as 5 years old get parvo, that said what you see mostly is pups under 12 months and secondly youth dogs 12 -24 months as the affected ones

"fully vaccinated" has come to not mean too much to me because things can interfere with immunity production such as antibodies from the mother lasting longer than normal, the pup being slightly ill when vaccinated and so on

I for the last several years, titer my pups for distemper/parvo through Cornell 2 weeks after their last distemper/parvo vaccination to check on how well they seroconverted (developed immune response)
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 PM

My vet used the term "fully, and timely vaccinated" when she was speaking to me (and the vaccine manufacture) about my dogs illness. But, of course you're right. There are many variables possible here. Vaccine's aren't 100%, and she could possibly have an immune disorder (although she's been very healthy up to this point). I haven't contacted the breeder I purchased her from yet, but I plan to touch base with him when this is over.

I asked one of the vets I've been dealing with during my dogs hospitalization why vets don't test older pups to make sure they are showing an immunity. Especially since vaccines can fail. He said it wouldn't really have shown them anything, because of the different Parvo strains out there. I didn't like this answer, because I will now be very hesitant about taking her to any public place again.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestfallen View Post
contracted the Parvo virus last week

Of course because of her age/weight she has needed more fluids, and meds so the bill is currently over $3500.
OMG. I had a pup who had parvo and she was there, and at what is likely the most expensive vet in my state, for 30 days and the bill was $3500. Your girl has this kind of bill after 1 week? How many times has she been given plasma? Exactly how many days has she been at the vet?
Don't be scared of the 30 days that I mentioned, my girl was past saving when I took her to the right vet(she was with the wrong one for 3 days) or so they said at the time, and she also had a secondary infection of hepatitus. The 30 days of treatment was unheard of prior to her treatment at the clinic she was at.

I wish your girl a speedy recovery! Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 AM

I had a long talk with several of the vets at the emergency clinic in the city about Parvo and rottweilers. The information that they gave me was very interesting. They told me that any dog that carries a predominant black/tan gene......ie rotts/sheps/dachshunds/dobes, etc are genetically predisposed to being highly susceptible to parvovirus. They told me that a fully vaccinated dog with the dominant black/tan gene WILL catch parvo even if fully vaccinated. The only difference is that the more times they are vaccinated the lessor the symptoms will hit and the easier to treat.

Given that I do minimal vaccinations with my dogs, I am exceedingly careful.

My advice for you.......before your dog comes home from the vet clinic THOROUGHLY clean everywhere that may have been contaminated from them getting sick before you left home. Parvovirus can live for months to years in the soil in a yard depending on your temperatures. Extreme prolonged cold can kill it. Dispose of bedding, thoroughly bleach everything that may have been contaminated by your dog before leaving for the vet clinic. Virkon would be preferable to bleach, just ensure you follow the mixing instructions to a T.......Virkon in its powder form is carcinogenic....so ensure that you use a breathing mask when mixing. You absolutely cannot be too careful in thoroughly THOROUGHLY cleaning everything before your pup comes home again. A dog that is successfully treated for parvo does develop an immunity to that strain....however the last thing that you want or need is for your pup to get recontaminated from picking up the virus again.

I hope your baby fully recovers

Heather

Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Crestfallen, A puppy from the same litter as mine caught parvo at almost 5 months and didn't make it. I found this out from my breeder and it had been fully vaccinated by a vet.
I spoke to my vet and he told me that some dogs immune systems can be vulnerable even after a full series of shots and the only way to tell for sure was to have a titer test.
My pup showed good immunity to parvo and it was a relief.

I once had two Doberman pups with parvo. They both pulled through but what a heartache. Good luck with your dog, I hope she will be OK.
My Dobermans went on to both live full lives. My male to 13 years, my female to 16 years.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Ancient Valued Member

black and tan dogs (the pattern not the actual shade of the brown) ARE more susceptible to parvo

However constant and repeated vaccination is not the way to go. ALL that does is either A) FINALLY get one vaccination in after the maternal antibodies decline or B) weaken the dogs immune system

The best way to determine YOUR pup's status (your meaning each person not the original poster because their dog should be immune for life now) is to titer the pup 2-4 weeks post last booster for distemper/parvo (I use only Cornell). This works if the pup had 1 vaccine before titering or 7. This titer will tell you if the pup successfully seroconverted and responded properly to the vaccine

Titers in subsequent years provides different info. It tells you what the dogs current resting titer is and if the dog has seemingly had any recent exposures to infected or newly vaccinated dogs
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 11-03-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozasMommy View Post
OMG. I had a pup who had parvo and she was there, and at what is likely the most expensive vet in my state, for 30 days and the bill was $3500. Your girl has this kind of bill after 1 week? How many times has she been given plasma? Exactly how many days has she been at the vet? Don't be scared of the 30 days that I mentioned, my girl was past saving when I took her to the right vet(she was with the wrong one for 3 days) or so they said at the time, and she also had a secondary infection of hepatitus. The 30 days of treatment was unheard of prior to her treatment at the clinic she was at. I wish your girl a speedy recovery! Let us know how it goes.
Thank you, she came home yesterday. We are continuing her on meds, and a bland diet (now that she is finally able to keep some food and water down) at home. She looks, and acts much better now. Super relieved. The bill at my regular vet (where she was treated for 2-1/2 days) was $1250, but the vet reduced the bill to $900 to help out. After the 2-1/2 days her white blood cell count dropped lower, so I transported her to the large local chain hospital for more aggressive treatment. She was there for 4 days, and that bill was $2700.

Did your pup not recover then? I read that it's usually those secondary infections that cause the fatalities. So far Tyr seems to have turned the corner, and should hopefully make a full recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxGold1 View Post
I had a long talk with several of the vets at the emergency clinic in the city about Parvo and rottweilers. The information that they gave me was very interesting. They told me that any dog that carries a predominant black/tan gene......ie rotts/sheps/dachshunds/dobes, etc are genetically predisposed to being highly susceptible to parvovirus. They told me that a fully vaccinated dog with the dominant black/tan gene WILL catch parvo even if fully vaccinated. The only difference is that the more times they are vaccinated the lessor the symptoms will hit and the easier to treat.

Given that I do minimal vaccinations with my dogs, I am exceedingly careful.

My advice for you.......before your dog comes home from the vet clinic THOROUGHLY clean everywhere that may have been contaminated from them getting sick before you left home. Parvovirus can live for months to years in the soil in a yard depending on your temperatures. Extreme prolonged cold can kill it. Dispose of bedding, thoroughly bleach everything that may have been contaminated by your dog before leaving for the vet clinic. Virkon would be preferable to bleach, just ensure you follow the mixing instructions to a T.......Virkon in its powder form is carcinogenic....so ensure that you use a breathing mask when mixing. You absolutely cannot be too careful in thoroughly THOROUGHLY cleaning everything before your pup comes home again. A dog that is successfully treated for parvo does develop an immunity to that strain....however the last thing that you want or need is for your pup to get recontaminated from picking up the virus again.

I hope your baby fully recovers Heather
Thank you Heather. It looks like she's on the road back. At this point I'm not sure I'll ever take her out in public again. We frequented a local county park to hike the trails almost every day. It's not a "dog park" but leashed dogs are allowed there. I'm pretty sure this is where she contracted the virus.

I have done a ton of research on the Parvovirus since this happened, and I read about the Rotts (and other predominant black/tan breeds) susceptibility to the virus. While she was in treatment we did a very thorough cleaning with bleach to the floors in our house (luckily we have tiled floors throughout). We have nearly an acre of land, but we did what we could there in the areas where she roamed. All of her dishes, toys and bedding have been cleaned. As you said she should be immune now to the particular strain she contracted, but we wanted to do the cleaning anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Crestfallen, A puppy from the same litter as mine caught parvo at almost 5 months and didn't make it. I found this out from my breeder and it had been fully vaccinated by a vet.
I spoke to my vet and he told me that some dogs immune systems can be vulnerable even after a full series of shots and the only way to tell for sure was to have a titer test.
My pup showed good immunity to parvo and it was a relief.

I once had two Doberman pups with parvo. They both pulled through but what a heartache. Good luck with your dog, I hope she will be OK.
My Dobermans went on to both live full lives. My male to 13 years, my female to 16 years.
Thank you, and I agree about the heartache. Unless you have seen a dog stricken with Parvo I don't think you can really appreciate out devastatingly sick they get. Especially when it's your own dog that you've grown to know and love. It's plain heartbreaking to see them so damn sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierrots View Post
black and tan dogs (the pattern not the actual shade of the brown) ARE more susceptible to parvo

However constant and repeated vaccination is not the way to go. ALL that does is either A) FINALLY get one vaccination in after the maternal antibodies decline or B) weaken the dogs immune system

The best way to determine YOUR pup's status (your meaning each person not the original poster because their dog should be immune for life now) is to titer the pup 2-4 weeks post last booster for distemper/parvo (I use only Cornell). This works if the pup had 1 vaccine before titering or 7. This titer will tell you if the pup successfully seroconverted and responded properly to the vaccine

Titers in subsequent years provides different info. It tells you what the dogs current resting titer is and if the dog has seemingly had any recent exposures to infected or newly vaccinated dogs
Interesting, thank you for your very informative posts. I was wondering about repeating the vaccination. The "Cornell" that you mentioned is the manu name of a parvo vaccine, I assume? I believe the vet told me the manu name of the vaccine she used was by Merrill? I could be remembering that incorrectly though. I've had a lot thrown at me the last week.

Wow, look at that...Multi-quoting, for the win. :)

Old 11-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Ancient Valued Member

no Cornell as in the University. That is where I have our dogs blood sent for titers - Canine vaccine panel 1 (distemper SN/ parvo HI titers)
Itsy

Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierrots View Post
no Cornell as in the University. That is where I have our dogs blood sent for titers - Canine vaccine panel 1 (distemper SN/ parvo HI titers)
Ah, I see. I didn't think of that...I did think of Soundgarden though (The singer's name is Chris Cornell). Completely off topic, I know. lol