Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Training
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Training Here's the area for posting training tips, tricks, advice, or problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Novice Member

What Are Some Good Fun Games To Play With Ur Rottie???

Curious What Are Some Good Games To Teach And Play With My Rottie?? If Anyone Has Games They Play With Ther Pls Do Explain How You Taught It And How It May Benifit Ur Rottie!!! Xx

Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Re: What Are Some Good Fun Games To Play With Ur Rottie???

Please don't use initial caps, it's very hard to read.

Some games...well, both my dogs love playing fetch and tug. I haven't had to teach them how to play either of those. Apparently I have two pretty good retrievers. We have a couple tug ropes that we play with - some members don't recommend playing tug, but I don't have any issue with the game as long as I start and end the game. And I always "win" the toy or tug game. We also play "find it" - we put the dogs in a sit stay and one of us will go hide treats. Then we release and tell them to "find it." They usually fine them quickly, as I don't want to frustrate them with the game, I put the treats in pretty easy locations. Plus, that makes them utilize their brains, and it's not just physical stimulation.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 AM

today i gave my 6 month old rottie girl a soccer ball, well it didnt last half an hour. She has more fun when its half deflated as she can hold it and swing it like crazy

Old 12-04-2007, 12:16 PM

haha i know what you mean! Dakota did the exact same thing...i gave her a brand new soccer ball that I figured she would play fetch with or something...but inside she gutted the thing and tore out the inner tube and everything! She still tries to get me to play "tug" with her with it even though the ball is completely destroyed.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Hide the treats is a favorite here. I tell Dodge to stay in the kitchen, and I go hide treats 4 at a time. He has learned to count, when he has 4 he knows either the game is over or I have to go get more.
Make it easy at first, kind of in plain sight, and it doesn't take the dog long to "learn" this game. After a couple of times, I started making the hiding spots a little harder. I still haven't hid them in really hard places, and be careful where you put them. LOL.
I end up with a foaming at the mouth dog and slobber on my end tables etc. Lots of times I will hide them under one of his toys, slightly under his bed, along the woodwork in the corner etc.
Fetch the ball is another favorite. I never had to "teach" my dog this, I believe that a good retriever is born not trained. He also loves to catch the ball and bring it to me to throw it to him again. Alot of dogs will chase or catch the ball and then run from you.
Hide and seek is another good one, I have three stories including the basement so I make Dodge stay in the kitchen again, and I hide with treats in hand of course. I have the ideal hide and seek house, a basement with two ways in and out, and a first floor that you can totally run around without hitting a wall. It makes for great fun.
I also enjoy teaching Dodge new "tricks" once his necessary commands are worked on.
I have taught him to wave, crawl, sit pretty, shake, gimme five and back up. Trying to think of a new one. Rotties love to learn, and this keeps their minds challenged.
I am sure you will get other great ideas and I will be watching as the cold weather is coming and going, and coming and going, so we need things to do when it's too nasty to get outside.

sharon

Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 PM

We play 'Find,' too.

We also play a combination of fetch/tug.

Another game I haven't seen mentioned that Maddie really likes is 'touch.' What I did was get a plastic lid to use as a target. Then I tell her, 'touch' and she runs and touches it with her nose. The fun part is all the crazy places I put the Target. Sometimes I bury it in a blanket and she digs it up to touch it. Sometimes I hold it up in the air so she has to jump a little for it. Sometimes I hold it and move it around all fast, so she has to be quick to touch it. Other times, I'll just toss it across the room and let her chase it down and touch it.

I taught her this game buy saying 'touch,' tapping the target on her nose and giving her a treat. She caught on pretty quick.

Maddie also tends to think of training time as one big game, too.

I've been trying to teach her how to play catch the past couples of days. So far, I've not been very successful. :)

Old 01-09-2008, 05:46 PM

We play together a lot with her toys. Incorporate tricks into the game...wait, stay, down, over, go get-it, etc.

We learned a great eye contact game in an agility class. Hold some food in your closed hands held at your waist. Don't move. Wait for eye contact and then use your praise word and give the food immediately when they look at you. Over time you can start to lengthen the time they spend looking at you to reward. This game has really helped with later training. We later used that technique with dropped food and leave it training...they start looking to you for confirmation - can I get it now, what do you think about this situation, what do you want me to do next.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Harleys favorite game is hide and seek.
I will put him in a wait, and go hide, he will look everywhere. And his real reward is finding me, he loves it.

Taz 1/10-7/10 RIP Never had a chance :(
Roxy a rescued rott RIP Oct 27, 09
Mercy Rescued pup RIP May 19th 2011

Old 01-14-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
Another game I haven't seen mentioned that Maddie really likes is 'touch.' What I did was get a plastic lid to use as a target. Then I tell her, 'touch' and she runs and touches it with her nose. The fun part is all the crazy places I put the Target. Sometimes I bury it in a blanket and she digs it up to touch it. Sometimes I hold it up in the air so she has to jump a little for it. Sometimes I hold it and move it around all fast, so she has to be quick to touch it. Other times, I'll just toss it across the room and let her chase it down and touch it.

I taught her this game buy saying 'touch,' tapping the target on her nose and giving her a treat. She caught on pretty quick.
That is how service dogs are taught, to turn on light switches etc. You can teach her to touch a sticker and then put the sticker anywhere where the dog can manipulate something with its nose. Possibilities are endless.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 PM

I love to use small tugs and a ball on string to do drive building with my dogs.

I tease them with the item initially, making them miss three or four times and then I let them have a bite and I tug with them.

It's great foundation work for OB or protection as it develops drive, focus, and grip. Not to mention teaching the out.

Also love to play hide and seek with my daughter. She'll hide somewhere in the house while I put the dogs into a long down. After a few minutes I tell them to search and they go buck wild scenting for her (she finds some crazy places to hide!). Whoever finds her gets tonnes of praise. They love the competetition but when we have only one dog its great too.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:25 AM

Static loves tug of war with his squeaky tyre rope toy. We have to be careful though, as he does have a tendency to chew on the rope and pull bits off, so he is only allowed to play under supervision with that one. He loves chasing balls - as long is there is another dog there ... in the backyard he likes to play with his squeaky soccer ball (he will throw it himself if we aren't playing) and at the beach he LOVES his orange Kong Wubba ...
Although when he has had enough you know, as he will chase what you have thrown, pick it up and then spit it out almost immediately, and we have to retrieve it ourselves!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 AM

Cuz balls are the best, they squeek, are non- destructible, are bouncy, and you can play fetch with them.

The "touch" command is also fun, I've taught Neyla to play her Little Tykes piano with the touch command.

Hide and seek.

Set up a sign of obstacles around the home. Example: A have a start sign which would be #1 and do whatever command is on the sign "sit", once your dog does that then proceed to sign #2 - do the Figure 8, once your dog has completed that task, then on to sign #3. On Neyla's last graduation day at obedience class, we played this game with her class mates and had a ball. Neyla came in second place at 47 seconds, the trainer's dog came in first place at 46 seconds. He beat us by one second. Anyhoo it was fun and even more fun if you can get a group of well behaved dogs and their owners to join in.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:29 AM

catch or fetch or chase the toy. tug. hide and seek, (love the sniffing the air when one hides behind the door, and they pass by) boris thinks obedience training is fun and loves to work and please. buster cube and a form of tracking where we put treats in a path.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 PM

I found a good one today. I had Dodge out in the back yard, and I thought, hey I will make a snowball for him to "fetch". Of course his eyes followed the ball but when it fell into the 5 inches of snow on the ground it would disappear.
You would have laughed had you seen the look on his face when he could not "find" the balls I was tossing. Wish I would have someone around to run the camcorder.
Then I made snowballs for him to catch. Of course as soon as he caught them they would disenigrate. We played a long time, and got some extra excersise.

Sharon

Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM

I play fetch with Gypsy she has a jolly ball and a soccer ball she can play for hours, I have tried to get Cash to play but he isnt as interetsed as much as she is, he does like tennis balls, they both love tug and can play all day, my body just cant handle all that yanking for a long period of time lol, they also play tug together which is fun to watch