Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Training
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Training Here's the area for posting training tips, tricks, advice, or problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Best training for high prey drive dog

In everyones experience with dogs, what are the best type of classes for high prey drive dogs? My trainer wants Gypsy to be in agility in May she will be just over a year old, and would have completed 4-5 sets of obedience and 1 course of advanced obedience, Also I can still take her to every basic obedience class when the new sessions start, or every Advance class as well

Old 12-10-2006, 01:51 PM

Re: Best training for high prey drive dog

I have a high prey drive bitch. I track, do rally, obed, and drafting with Moxie.

If you plan to do agility with your dog, make sure she's sound. I had Moxie's hips and elbows x-rayed before I started working her.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:10 PM

When Sadie first started coming inside she would get fixed on the cats and stalk them, if the cats would run she would give chase but she never hurt one, still it made me worry. I got lots of great advice and ideas here at RDN and now 90% of the time she doesn't even bother with the cats except the 2lb. kitten which is her friend. I would still never leave her alone with the cats and we still keep her and the pups serperated. The main things I did as far as the cats was make myself more interesting than they cats(hotdog slices) and then would do things like sit or lay when a cat was near.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBunny View Post
I have a high prey drive bitch. I track, do rally, obed, and drafting with Moxie.

If you plan to do agility with your dog, make sure she's sound. I had Moxie's hips and elbows x-rayed before I started working her.
Thanks I had planned to do that when she turns 1 in March.. I also want to work on her with the advanced off leash training, even though they start agility on lead, How would I go about tracking?

Old 12-10-2006, 03:13 PM

ANY type of training! That prey drive lends itself BEAUTIFULLY to rewards for good behavior. Use a tug toy for her rewards during obedience, and if you REALLY put yourself into playing with her, you'll not only see her performance level come up, but you'll tire her out nicely too.

Agility is excellent for prey driven dogs, and herding is fun too!

Gone on:
Bort BH AD, Froli SchH2 AD BST OA AXJ CGC ARC VX, Top 10 agility, Banja NA NAJ Top 10 agility, Xcel CGC TT

Old 12-10-2006, 03:18 PM

You can do anything with a highly prey driven dog ONCE you have that prey drive in check and once it can be refocused onto you in the blink of an eye.

Jewel is by far the most prey driven dog I have owned. She sees anything and everything that MOVES. When she was a pup, I had a hard time learning how to refocus her since I never had to deal with it with previous dogs.

I learned in her 3rd set of classes that her kong on a rope is THE most important thing in the world to her. There can be bunnies bounding around her and if I pull out the kong, BOOM, she is back.

I believe that if you can refocus your girl with a toy or playing tug, you can do anything you want with her.

Kristi

Ch. OTCH Jewel CDI RE BH RL2 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Seeker CD RE BH RL1 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Ruckus PCD RN TT HIC
Busy (super baby)
Jager HIC
[/FONT]

Old 12-10-2006, 03:29 PM

Well one thing I noticed yesterday when the dogs and the neighbors came outside, was she refocused on me with her "tug socceer ball" its the second one we have owned, even the other one that is deflated a bit with no tug, she loves, I know she has a long way to go but Im hoping to have her like how you say your dog is, Thats my main goal...

Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 PM

And, to keep her crazy about her "special" toy, make sure to hide it (so she doesn't lose interest) and only bring it out when you train.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:10 PM

My best toys live in teh car, that way hubby can't use them ..... otherwise I hear "O, they haven't seen this in a long time and they love it."

Gone on:
Bort BH AD, Froli SchH2 AD BST OA AXJ CGC ARC VX, Top 10 agility, Banja NA NAJ Top 10 agility, Xcel CGC TT

Old 12-10-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyRott View Post
And, to keep her crazy about her "special" toy, make sure to hide it (so she doesn't lose interest) and only bring it out when you train.
Thanks I didnt think of that, This ball is only for outside, so that is the one we use when we go out, I hope I can bring out the best in her, that worries me at times.. But I will be positive

Old 12-10-2006, 04:31 PM

Yep - kong on rope 1, 2 and 3 live in my van and training bag, no where else.

They only appear during training or on walks. Period. They are highly valued and need to stay that way.

Of course, there was the ONE time I was playing with Jewel on a walk, I swung the kong and hit her in the head with it by accident ... really, it was an accident. What did she learn from this? to stay a little farther away when I am getting ready to throw.

Kristi

Ch. OTCH Jewel CDI RE BH RL2 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Seeker CD RE BH RL1 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Ruckus PCD RN TT HIC
Busy (super baby)
Jager HIC
[/FONT]

Old 12-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsysMom
How would I go about tracking?
Tracking with Your Berner

Get Tracking!

Tracking

Tracking (Yankee Golden Retriever Club)

I read sites like the ones above, but found taking an intro seminar taught by an AKC tracking judge was what really got me going.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 AM

How high is her prey drive?? My boy had insanely crazy prey drive(still does) , it was actually too high for agility. (Yeah, even i thought you could not have enough prey drive for agility). I tried 2 different agility classes, and both said my dog had too much drive they did not know how to help me with.

I found schutzhund to be the best sport suited for him. That includes OB, tracking, jumps, the wall etc.... I'm sure now with his OB being very strong, that we could do agility, but ironically it would have never been this solid if it werent for SCH.

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 AM

I was thinking the same thing about Agility, I cant say how high it is since Im new to having a dog that didnt just lay around, I really would like to try SCh., that was something I considered, I tried to find a club near me but the ones I found were not accepting new members at this time, so Im still searching, I think that may be benificial for her and her obedience

Old 12-11-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupieindenial View Post
How high is her prey drive?? My boy had insanely crazy prey drive(still does) , it was actually too high for agility. (Yeah, even i thought you could not have enough prey drive for agility). I tried 2 different agility classes, and both said my dog had too much drive they did not know how to help me with.

I found schutzhund to be the best sport suited for him. That includes OB, tracking, jumps, the wall etc.... I'm sure now with his OB being very strong, that we could do agility, but ironically it would have never been this solid if it werent for SCH.

I have to agree with Sabina on this! Cam is very, very high prey drive, and becomes nuts while watching agility. HOWEVER, he has a strong obedience foundation, and as long as I keep him working with OB commands, attention work, whatever, he is able to stay calm, and can participate in the class. That being said, it literally takes all of my mental energy to keep him focused on me, and not the moving dogs. Unless you feel you have a high level of control over your dog, I might consider working the obedience up to a high level first.

Also, if you get into the class, and find that you don't have that control, I would either back out, or only work her on the obstacles when she is listenting. With Cam, who finds the agility so rewarding, he MUST listen to what I am saying. I say this because he likes to blow his stays when we are starting. If he does that.....to bad, no reward of agility work!!! So, in essence, I use the agility equipment as rewards.

^U-CD Max ^ CDX, RE CGC

^Cam^ CDX RE OA OAJ NF
3x HIT winner

Ci-Ci Rider Von Der Aunkst CDX

VP-2 Zirk Creek All that Flash

^Mac^- 10y/o rottie rescue