Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Rottweiler Rescue
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Rottweiler Rescue Congratulations! You've decided to adopt a Rottweiler! Talk to fellow adopters, rescue groups and those who offer guidance and support. What does a rescue group do? How is a dog prepared for placement? Is this dog a good match for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Novice Member

Rottie Rescue Southern California

Hello.

I'm Tim, and I live in Venice.

I lost my 13 y/o rottie boy Blitz last October, and am getting ready to find a new dog.

I'm investigating both purchase and rescue. There is a Southern California rottweiler rescue organization where you fill out an application, and they contact you back. It's been over a month, and no reply.

Anybody have any information about rescue organizations or available rotties in SoCal?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Vintage Valued Member

Re: Rottie Rescue Southern California

Well there's the Rottweiler Rescue of Los Angeles and the San Diego Rottweiler rescue. San Diego dogs can be viewed thru www.petfinder.com The LA site has a link: www.rottrescuela.org/ There are some nice dogs on either. Good luck with your search!

If you're not getting a response, try calling. I heard the LA site has lost some of it's volunteers, for example.

Last edited by SABELLESMOM; 05-02-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Tin we just got our rottie pup from Orange Animal Care in Orange. We pick him up today! There is a good pet search website at Pet Adoption – 100,000 Dogs & Cats in Need - Adopt A Pet Save A Life.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM

I got my beautiful girl at our local animal shelter. There is almost always at least one Rottie in there. You can see a list of what dogs are in your local shelter. Just google it. Hershey was about a year, untrained but very smart and so loving that training has been very easy as she hates to be in trouble! Good luck! There are sooo many sweet Rotties out there looking for homes!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 AM

I got my male from a city of la shelter I got my female from a la county shelter
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Perhaps visit or call a shelter directly? I am not familiar with the adoption process but have inquired about some dogs and I usually contact a few rescue groups to narrow down the dog that I want rather then just waiting for 1 reply. I dont think it should be too hard for you to find a Good Rottie in CA. Why not visit your local humane society?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Vintage Valued Member

Just keep trying. Rescues are often short staffed. Then... you don't actually have to "rescue" in order to "adopt"... like at a shelter? Rescues have to do a home inspections, interviews, etc. It's basic good thinking but can be a bit time consuming and disheartening.

Let us know what you come up with. Chula Vista has a lovely 15 mo. old male listed as "Buddy". He has absolutely a face you can fall in love with. His bio claims he loves his people and likes to go for rides and sit by your feet at the computer. But this is your choice... get looking and drive out to meet a few.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 PM

I absolutely agree with Sabellesmom and some of the other posters. I just "rescued" my girl from our municipal shelter and I call tell you she has been a JOY to have around. I will warn you, though, that many rotties that you get from either rescue or the shelter will have some health problem or another, from minor (intestinal parasites) to kinda major, but not terrible (heartworm), to major (hip dysplasia, acl problems, etc). Obviously you've owned a rottie before, so you are probably familiar with the fact that they can be an expensive breed to own. I have adopted (and will continue to adopt) exclusively rescue/shelter rotts, and have helped with other foster rotties being pulled from local shelters and so far every single one of them has had some expensive problem or another. I don't want to scare you from getting a rescue or shelter dog, just letting you know you may need to be prepared for the health care costs. They ARE worth it :) And of course, you may get lucky and get one that is problem-free. Definitely check out your municipal shelters first, though, as they tend to be kill facilities, but adopting from a rescue also frees up a spot for them to pull a dog from a kill facility - so both are good. Good luck!