Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Rottweiler Rescue
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Rottweiler Rescue Congratulations! You've decided to adopt a Rottweiler! Talk to fellow adopters, rescue groups and those who offer guidance and support. What does a rescue group do? How is a dog prepared for placement? Is this dog a good match for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 AM
One of the Old Folks

Unhappy 13 Year Old Rottweiler

I was forwarded an e-mail by Jemma's breeder...someone looking to re-home their 13 year old Rottweiler.
I've contacted the lady...and honestly it's been really hard not to lose my temper.
It's seems that the couple have both gotten job promotions that require them to be away from home for longer hours,etc. She's not been neglected....and it seems she's in good health...but an inconvenience now.

I did suggest hiring a dog walker,etc.
She's not had any response from Adopt-a-Rott.....most likely Lorrie has no hopes for this poor dog being adopted at this age.

furkidsrescue.ca will be posting her on their website as soon as they get some pictures of her. I may foster her...depending on what happens. Hoping that the owner's change their minds about trying to re-home her.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Last edited by roscoe; 03-21-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Valued Member

Re: 13 Year Old Rottweiler

Can you believe some people ????
No don't answer that !

What I wouldn't give for mine to even reach 13....
Poor, poor dog
Alison
Old 03-20-2010, 05:21 PM

I wonder if their children are an inconvenience also. I wish I lived close enough to take that poor old lady.

A/C CH Darlburgs Fatal Attraction CD RE HSAs CX TT
GCH Darrlburgs Something Special V Ikier CD RE CX TT
CH Lucky CDX TT CGC 01/17/94 - 05/17/07
CH Moe CD RE TT CGC 11/18/99 - 02/18/08
Old 03-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Valued Member

How can people live THIRTEEN years with a dog and not feel the need to care for their dog up until the end of their life? This is so frustrating.

I'm glad to hear you may foster her, Gina. You're a very kind person.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Angry Re: 13 Year Old Rottweiler

after 13 yrs....unbelievable!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:51 PM

I like my dogs more and people less every day. If I were closer I'd take this poor old thing in a heartbeat.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:05 PM

How very, very sad for this poor girl. She has given them the best years of her life, and now as she is heading into her last years, they want to abandon her. I wish I lived closer and had the ability to do so. I would take her in a heart beat. So very sorry to hear of her predicament.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Valued Member

May they rot in hell.

My "second" thought was like Carol's, wish I was closer, I'd take her in a heartbeat.

And these so called humans have the audacity to dictate terms?? Man, give them my name and phone number. Tell them to call me, collect!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Old 03-20-2010, 08:20 PM

How v.sad! When my GSD reached 13 I cherished every day I had left with her, I couldn't imagine giving her up. That poor dog has spent her life being a companion and friend and this is how she's repaid for her years of loyalty, I just don't understand some people
Old 03-20-2010, 08:34 PM

Bash me if you want but I'm not quite sure I understand why everyone is upset. It seems like the owners are doing the noble thing trying to find the dog a new home rather than leave it up to a dog walker to care for it or even worse leave it neglected at home while they are traveling or away from the house.

The details of the situation are very vague so it's really easy to rush to judgement. I agree that they should do everything possible to keep the dog. Nowhere does it mention that they have had the dog for 13 years. They could have adopted him 3 months ago before their job circumstances changed. I am sure that they are making a very tough decision trying to find her a good home rather than keeping it. I don't know what I would do if my wife and I both got put in situations where we would have to travel all the time for work and wouldn't be home to care for our pup.

Anyhow, I'm not taking their side by any means, it just sounds like they could be doing the right thing here trying to find it a good home.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Valued Member

For people who seem to care about this girl, how can they not understand the sense of abandonment she is going to suffer after 13 years with them? Apparently they don't.....I don't get it at all.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Valued Member

At this age I would rather have her euthanized than re-home and wonder forever more whether her last few months (which realistically is probably all she's got) were happy ones. As long as she's in good health she'd cope being in her own home as long as a dog walker could keep an eye on her, after all I imagine she just sleeps a great deal of the time anyway.
I simply couldn't live with myself.
Alison
Old 03-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajemons View Post
I simply couldn't live with myself.
Me, either. Being re-homed will likely be the end of her. She's going to spend her last days looking for them and perplexed at why they're not with her.....how sad is that?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Valued Member

I honestly don't understand this. It breaks my heart. I would give anything to extend the life of mine and these two could care less.

13 years. Heck I couldn't give up one of mine after a week....and that's including our little issue girl.

Ironic a promotion for both of them, which probably means more money. Yet they can't spend the money to have someone come to the house and spend some time with this dear girl.

People like this just need a good smack....and that's on my mellow and generous days.

Wow....just so sad.

I so hope karma comes and bites em in the a$$ some day......I envision them old and unable to care for themselves and they are stuck in a horrid nursing home where no one gives a crap about them.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant
Old 03-20-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blask View Post
It seems like the owners are doing the noble thing trying to find the dog a new home rather than leave it up to a dog walker to care for it or even worse leave it neglected at home while they are traveling or away from the house.

Nowhere does it mention that they have had the dog for 13 years. They could have adopted him 3 months ago before their job circumstances changed
I have a 13yo Rottweiler. She was a rescue girl who came to me just under 4years ago. That I've had her for less than 4 years makes no difference. I wouldn't consider giving her up. I would not have considered it from the first day she came to me. Each day we have is a bonus.

A 13yo Rottweiler requires very little. My last rescue girl was 13yo when she sadly succumbed to cancer. At this age they're neither energetic or demanding. My girl can manage only 1 x 15 minute walk per day on her old bones. The rest of the time she rests. She has 24/7 access to my fenced back yard but usually only wanders around outside for a few minutes when she needs to toilet.

Surely one or two very short walks a day would not be beyond the capability of most people irrespective of their working hours. Since when did it become neglect to leave a dog at home whilst the owners are working or out of the house?

If it was geographically possible I would take this old dog in an instant. There's something very special about the oldies. It's a privilege to own an elderly Rottweiler.