Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Rottweiler Rescue
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Rottweiler Rescue Congratulations! You've decided to adopt a Rottweiler! Talk to fellow adopters, rescue groups and those who offer guidance and support. What does a rescue group do? How is a dog prepared for placement? Is this dog a good match for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM

How do I overcome her prejudice?

My husband and I are going to be bringing in an addition to our little family (lots of fish, two cats, and a GSD mix 6 month old puppy). We're going to a rescue on June 21st to meet some Rotties! (Well, the hubby, puppy and I will be going, not the cats or fish, LOL). I've posted a thread about it in the Rescues section.

I told my mom we're getting a rottweiler and she FREAKED. She started spouting off about how they are dangerous, and how she can't understand WHY on earth we'd want one, they'll drool all over, etc. etc. etc. She then proceeded to tell us we weren't allowed to bring a rottie to her house (we bring Luna there when we visit) and also said, "I will NOT dogsit a Rottweiler. I'll watch Luna, but not a Rottweiler." I told her that was fine, we weren't planning on going anywhere we couldn't bring the dogs, and if we did have to go someplace we have a nice kennel we can board them in. (My friend was over when this happened and she piped up, "I'll watch them for you!" The look on my mom's face was PRICELESS).

This is more of a "rant" thread than anything, but I"m wondering if anyone has had success convincing people (particularly friends/family) that Rotties are not big, bad killing machines. I was thinking of directing her to the rescue site (they talk about how they temperament test their dogs, none of them have previous bite incidents, they don't adopt out dogs with DA towards dogs of the opposite sex, etc.) but I really don't know that it will do any good. I think she's just being stubborn about it because 1) we're not "golden retriever/lab people" like she is, 2) she has control issues (LOL), 3) she doesn't think we should get another dog, 4) she's concerned we won't have any human children with all the animal children we have, and 5) she's just being stubborn.

I'm thinking the dog will probably "speak" for himself... once she sees that a Rottie can be a well behaved, gentle dog she'll probably let off on the ranting. It's just so infuriating at the moment! Most of my other family members think I'm crazy, too... they're just not so vocal about it. *sigh*

Old 06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Valued Member

Re: How do I overcome her prejudice?

Taking the high road is the better road to travel. And, actions speak louder and better than words.

Put a polite smile on your face when your mom or other family members start The Rant. Don't say anything in rebuttal, just keep that smile pasted to your face. When they run out of rant, say "Thank you for your opinion" and change the subject. Keep doing this and The Rant will eventually stop. Often ranters are that way because people respond.

That's the high road.

The actions part involves the dog itself.

Prove them wrong. Train your new dog and do everything in your power to ensure your new dog is a fine, upstanding canine citizen. Put a CGC on your Rottie.

Even better, put a title on him.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:32 PM

My sister said she would not bring the kids over, of course fast forward 3 months and her daughter and Bart are inseparable! We just started training immediately everything else fell into place. Bart was also 8 weeks when we got him, but there is allot of people here that know more about life with a rescue dog.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBunny View Post
Taking the high road is the better road to travel. And, actions speak louder and better than words.
Thank you! I will follow your advice and take "the high road." It is really no use arguing with my mom when she "knows she's right."

I do already have plans to take our Rottie to obedience class. The next session starts June 30 (I believe that is orientation night, so the dogs won't be going). If he is settled in enough by the time class starts we'll be attending that session.

I had at first thought the CGC was out of reach for my puppy, Luna, but she's come so far with obedience training that we will do the test when she's ready. :) She starts her second obedience class when our Rottie starts his first.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:46 PM

As I've mentioned before, one of my relatives, upon hearing that I would be getting a Rottie pup, exclaimed, "Why on Earth would you want a Rottweiler? THEY EAT CHILDREN." Many people have just internalized all the bad press about them. With appropriate training, your new charge will be changing people's minds everywhere he goes. Until then, thank people for their concern, and move on to something else as AngelBunny described.

BTW, everyone in my family now loves Lila
Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM

It is good to hear that others' family members have gotten over their fears/biases. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Cool Re: How do I overcome her prejudice?

If people don't want to love your dog then they wont, and some people will never change. My little guy is a mix. He is 1/2 rottweiler and something else, but when I take him out people play with him, hug him, let them lick him, and then they say, oh what is it a lab/dane or some other large dog, and i say Rottie mix.. sometimes they back up..
YOU WERE JUST HUGGING HIM!! why would he suddenly become mean just because you know what he is? sigh.. people.
I also get this quite often "wow he isnt at all aggressive.." as if just because he is a rottweiler he is aggressive. but I guess I better get used to it. When I get my next dog, I will try and rescue a purebred and then it will likely be even worse.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Valued Member

If it were me I'd be glad that it was so easy to keep my mom out of the house. But she loves all kinds of dogs, I'm thinking about a python or an alligator.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 AM

my MIL was totally afraid of our Rott. We live in different states and she was aware of all the bite work my dog has done. The dog is over two years old now and my MIL met the dog for the first time.

We brought them to a training session so she could see him work and she became more scared until we showed her how stable he is. We worked him hard that day and he really showed his aggression to the decoy but immediately after the decoy's child was there and petting him, pulling his ear and rubbing his belly.

When we returned home I noticed that she let him on the couch to lay in her lap. She saw the true character of the rottweiler and was convinced that he was a good dog.

BTW- I don't recommened you have kids around bite work. In this instance, this kid has known my dog since the dog was 8wks old. They have a very nice bond and my dog is fond of children in general. That doesn't mean that your dog it.

The point is, I showed my MIL what the dog of capable of and how controlled he is and that fixed it. The in-laws stayed for two weeks, we did the bite work session on day three of their stay. After that when they went for a walk every morning they brought the dog with them. They've never had a dog that was so highly trained and would heel properly. It turned out to be a joy for them and they are considering taking one of my two extra Rotts.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Novice Member

Amazingly I have had quite a few people come up to my lab/pit/pointer mix. Pet on him, love on him, hug him, allow him to give kisses, play fetch and tug with him, and even let their kids and other dogs play with him. But then the dreaded question comes up.

"What kind of dog is he?" They ask.

I reply. "Oh he is a black lab/english pointer..../PIT BULL mix!"

Oh gosh not a pit bull golly jee willickers batman! Gee it don't matter any that he is MIXED and mainly lab/pointer with hangy pit bull jowls and pit bull ears/weight. He looks like a 60 lb. lab pointer mix. But the minute they hear pit bull they stop petting him, scoff, or go "Wont he bite" And proceed to tell me of the stories they have heard. *rolls eyes*

I just started telling people he was lab mix. It will be interesting with a purebred rott.

"Umm he is a black lab with no tail and got into some mud?" LOL :P
Old 06-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Valued Member

I've told this story many times on this forum but I'll tell it again. I was one of those who had prejudice to this wonderful breed, the Rottweiler. My daughter over 13 years ago told me she was pregnant AND that she and Jon just got a Rottie puppy!! I was infuriated with her. I told her that baby killer needs to go, it's going to kill my first grandchild.!! I also told her that she and Jon lost their mind.

Mind you, Michelle was raised with GSD's and even an Alaskan Malamute/Wolf hybrid!! You would have thought I'd have known better.

Long story short, Raja and I slept together IN the baby's room first night I met my Grandson and Raja. We both even snored in harmony! That girlie started my love affair with this breed and I'm thankful for it. My daughter showed me along with Raja that actions speak louder then words.

If your dog shows what a good citizan it can be and you don't REACT to negativity. It can't go any other way!! Socialize, train and be proactive it will all pan out.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Old 06-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The actions part involves the dog itself.

Prove them wrong. Train your new dog and do everything in your power to ensure your new dog is a fine, upstanding canine citizen. Put a CGC on your Rottie.
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't say anything yet, especially since you still don't have the dog. But then make sure that your Rottie is the most well-mannered and behaved dog your mom has ever seen--this will go much further to get your mom to see things from another light. My mom was terrified of my dog Harley. But now my entire family is a huge defender of the breed.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM

This is such a perfect example of Rotties getting a bad rap! Yes I do believe she can be swayed... my girlfriend who was bitten badly in the arm by a german shephard, absolutely loved my both boys and my non-rott. She was godmother to Ceasar my x-large rott and would hug him and kiss him. She told me once she couldn't believe she wasn't afraid of him since she had a horrible expierence, but has dogs herself also(not rotts). My parents had cats their whole life. Not until I was married did we own rottweilers(15 yrs. now). My mom who wasn't fond of them from what she had heard as a bad rap, loves my dogs. She baby sat for them while I was away and also usto give Ceasar shoulder rubs. She grew to love my Thor and Ceasar and so did dad, both are gone now and Hogan is here and she loves Hogan. Our non-rott, Oynex is 15 and never stops barking....my mom and dad live with us now, and she always says she would take 10 Hogans....so I think mom may be able to be won over...fingers crossed
Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 AM

Our neighbors were very sceptical when we said that we're getting a rottie, partly because thay have a 7 y/o son and a 2 y/o niece (who visits frequently). The first opportunity the two kids had to meet our Luna was when she was about 5 months old already, and by then we had made certain she was well socialized, especially with kids. She really is great with kids, she may play rough on occasion with adults, but is ALWAYS gentle with kids (we still never let her alone with them unsupervised). Anyway, our neighbor was so astounded by her behaviour towards the kids that he is now a rottie fan, and proclaims them to be "great with kids" to anyone who will listen

We socialized her with kids by having willing kids (children of friends etc.) give her snacks and pet her gently while still a small pup. She's only had good experiences with kids, to such an extent that when she sees a child crying, she'll run up to him/her and go lick his face. This behaviour can be quite frightening for some parents, seeing an almost fully grown rottie charge down on their crying young offspring, so we usually restrict her in such cases
Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 PM

We had to win the hearts of the neighbors as well. We got off to a rocky start with the neighbor to the south. We got Disel in January at 6 months. She would come home just about the time of the the last pottie break for the night around 10:30 PM so she and VinDisel always scared each other when her motion light came on, Deez would bark and run to me.
Now that it is warm my neighbor has a 10 month old female kitten that she lets out on a leash. Dusky has no fear of dogs and Disel has no agression towards other animals. Well low and behold a love affair has sprung up between the fence. Dusky and Disel greet each other with a lot of sniffing, nose rubbing and the occasional smooch. Disel proceeds to run around the yard,yelping and woofing as he brings all his toys over to her. The other day I saw my neighbor taking pictures and telling some visiting friends what a great dog Disel is and how glad she is that he lives next door.