Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Rottweiler Rescue
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Rottweiler Rescue Congratulations! You've decided to adopt a Rottweiler! Talk to fellow adopters, rescue groups and those who offer guidance and support. What does a rescue group do? How is a dog prepared for placement? Is this dog a good match for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Novice Member

Rott/lab mix questions

Hi everyone, I've recently joined this site however I've been reading through areas on here for weeks. I've been thinking about adopting a dog for a while, however I won't be getting one for a couple months yet (I want to take my time and make sure I get one I am ready to hold onto for the rest of his/her life). I've been checking on petfinder every few days or so, and have noticed alot of rott/lab mixes.
When I was 13 or so, my father got a yellow lab (which he still has, she's 7 now) and so I grew up with a lab and am a bit familiar with them. I have never owned a rottweiler however, but I have always had some odd love for them. I picked up a book a couple months ago from petco/petsmart that's all about rottweilers, and I have picked up some books about training (specifically non-violent methods).

Having said all of this however, I'm having trouble finding alot of information about this cross breed. Perhaps there isn't a whole lot documented about them, but does anyone here have any experience with them? I'm sure with any cross breed there are lots of variants, but things I am wondering are the typical energy levels, temperament and trainability of this mix breed.

A little more info about myself (in case anyone wants to read this) - I'm a 20 year old male living in southeast Idaho. I am a very active person outdoors, I go on several long walks throughout the day and go on hikes about once a week in the mountains. Although in the summer my walks are limited to one in morning and evening typically, and hikes on cooler days. This is also a year round thing for me, so my dog will need to be able to walk in snow in winter. I wouldn't like a dog that has longer hair than a lab, I don't mind brushing daily however. This is about all I can think of at the moment, I know this is a long post lol. Any advice about this breed would be helpful, if you also have any other questions for me just ask!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Vintage Valued Member

Re: Rott/lab mix questions

Welcome! So you've been parusing our forum? Good for you! I am happy to hear you are considering adoption and are committed to making your home, your new dog's forever home. Wonderful.

Both Labs and Rottie's love their people and families. They are intellegent and devoted companions... differences (in training a mix) would be insignificant. All dogs respond to positive training methods. You'll be fine. Informationally you can go to AKC.org and look up the breed standards for both breeds. Read them. There may be subtile differences in personality, but not in trainability. A mix may bear some aspects of both breeds, but that's what makes any dog (purebred or mix) who they are: individuals!

Have you been looking about and asking about classes? A real class, with a good instructor has it all over what you can find reading. The trainer can answer questions and help you understand what motivates your dog. Classes help you in creating that special bond with your new dog! That's the best part.

The fact that you lead a fairly active lifestyle, is wonderful. I cannot imagine the type of dog you are looking for not being appreciative of that! It's a big dog's dream to be walking and hiking during all seasons with someone they love and adore! I feel the same as you about "hair" length. A Rottie or Lab coat is more easy care than most.

Good luck with your search!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Novice Member

Thank you very much! I had not thought of checking the AKC website for information, I'll go check that out. I had thought I would take classes once I get my dog, but I haven't been looking around for any. I'll start doing that as well, to try to find a class I really like.
I appreciate the help so far! :)
Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Novice Member

Hey Yo Yo Oreo,

Sorry for the late (and long) response. I adopted a rott/lab mix named Lucky from the pound about a month ago, and she's great. Here's my experience so far:

Energy level: through the roof in a good way. Lucky enjoys 2 run/walks each day, plenty of yard time, and tug-of-war or fetch. She's 1 year old, but has the energy of a puppy. I've read that she'll probably be this energetic until she's 3 years old.

I think a rott/lab would be a good dog for your walks and hikes, but I'm not sure about the snow. I live in Texas, so it's not an issue I've thought about. For most questions, I go to this forum for an answer, go to a lab forum for an answer, and do my best to combine them.

Temperament: protective, good-natured, curious, and kind. Lucky is 3 different dogs it seems, depending on where she is.

When we're inside and Lucky hears a strange noise, she has a very loud and intimidating bark/growl routine. In that sense, she's a great guard dog. She gets sad when I leave, and sometimes waits by the door. We're working on this.

When we're outside walking, she rarely reacts to other people or animals beyond looking at them. She does her own thing, smelling stuff and jogging. When other dogs bark at her she gets scared and runs away.

When we're outside in the yard, she doesn't bark much. When I introduced her to my neighbor, she barked a few times, but then licked his hand and jumped up for him to pet her. When she's in the yard, she couldn't care less when I go inside and leave her alone.

She's curious, and can be a bit stubborn if you try to interrupt her discoveries. The first time she saw kids in the park playing soccer, she had to sit there for 30 minutes watching and didn't even hear me call her name.

She's a very kind dog, and hasn't shown any hint of actual aggression towards (just the barking). She loves to cuddle, which can lead to some bruises...

Trainability: I've taught her how to walk on a leash, to not freak out when it's time to go on a walk, to not jump on strangers to let them know she is glad to meet them, and to not eat my shoes. She did eat part of one shoe before we had that talk. She hasn't touched a shoe since, even the partially eaten one. She was already house trained and knew how to sit when I adopted her.

Teaching her to walk on a leash took some time. I think the only other time she had seen a leash was at the pound. I had to buy an anti-pull harness, because she used to take off like a rocket and not slow down.

Her harness requires more work to get on than an ordinary leash. She used to jump around before walks, but now she lays down and stretches out her arms so I can put her harness on.

She's been very trainable. I don't yell or punish her. I've only used "good dog," head rubs, and treats to teach her, and an occasional distraction by the laser pointer to get her to do something else. She's smart and she catches on fast. She seems to want to make me happy.

I have no idea what her first year of life was like, other than she was in a crate and described as "destructive." I've had a different experience so far, with the exception of that one shoe.

I'm looking at trainers for some individual training sessions (mostly training me, I'm sure!), so she won't sit by the door and wait for me to come home.

I was also frustrated with the lack of information about rott/lab mix, so I thought I'd share my experience. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Like SABELLESMOM said, dogs are individuals so your rott/lab mix might be completely different than mine. If yours is similar to mine, I think you'll be a happy guy. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Valued Member

My BIL had a rottie/lab mix named Max years ago. Max was an absolute doll! He looked like a solid black rottie. Excellent temperament and I would say he was more in the rottie side on this....he was extremely wait and see. Of course any mix is a crap shoot on what will show in temperament ect.

I have never been a lab person, no reason other than to me I've always found labs to be just kind of borning...eh it's a lab. KWIM? BUT I will say this....of the 200 or so dogs I play with and interact with at daycare my top two are a mastiffy looking mix of some sort named Boomer, and a black lab named Auggie..... Of course we have no rotties that go to daycare..... LOVE Auggie. He has really changed my thinking about labs in general. He honestly reminds me so much of a rottie....he is freakishly smart, is my velcro boy the whole time he's there and my ball dog extreme. He is not spastic, is very wait and see and always wanting to make me happy.

Both breeds can be high energy so exercise and training is a must.

I really think it depends on the dog. Like Lucy said both breeds are very trainable. You might see some rottie traits, you might see some lab traits but no matter what it's still a dog....keep the training positive and make him a good representave of any breed.

One other thing that just came to mind. If you get a rottie/lab mix I would highly recommend getting him or her swimming. Both breeds love water and the benefits of swimming a dog are phenomenal.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant
Old 07-11-2012, 02:05 PM
One of the Old Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPunch View Post
She's been very trainable. I don't yell or punish her. I've only used "good dog," head rubs, and treats to teach her, and an occasional distraction by the laser pointer to get her to do something else. She's smart and she
Just want to mention something you said in this quote. Please STOP using a laser pointer. This often leads to obsessive compulsive behavior with Rottweilers....they become fixated on any points of light.

If you scroll to the top of the page to the blue bar...and click on 'Search' and put in 'laser pointer'.....you will see how many negative threads there are concerning laser pointers.

There are many other better ways to distract her...and I suggest you enroll into obedience classes to learn how to teach her.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14
Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 PM

hi,
I adopted a lab/rott mix around 1.5 years back. Ronald aka big ron, has the markings of a Rottweiler but the demeanor is of a lab. Loves to play ball, get into water, loves the snow. He is absolutely great around people. Generally he tends to be lazy but loves to chases balls in the park.
Mine hates cats but I think that is individual dependent. When he came from the rescue and initially wouldn’t steal any tasting smelling food. Lately we had a new coffee table and saw him stealing a naan ( Indian bread). The moment he saw me, he spit out the bread. That was the funniest thing I had ever seen, the bread went flying out. very intelligent and easy to train.

I think they are a good mix ( lab/rott) and you will absolutely love them
Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychik66 View Post
My BIL had a rottie/lab mix named Max years ago. Max was an absolute doll! He looked like a solid black rottie. Excellent temperament and I would say he was more in the rottie side on this....he was extremely wait and see. Of course any mix is a crap shoot on what will show in temperament ect.

I have never been a lab person, no reason other than to me I've always found labs to be just kind of borning...eh it's a lab. KWIM? BUT I will say this....of the 200 or so dogs I play with and interact with at daycare my top two are a mastiffy looking mix of some sort named Boomer, and a black lab named Auggie..... Of course we have no rotties that go to daycare..... LOVE Auggie. He has really changed my thinking about labs in general. He honestly reminds me so much of a rottie....he is freakishly smart, is my velcro boy the whole time he's there and my ball dog extreme. He is not spastic, is very wait and see and always wanting to make me happy.

Both breeds can be high energy so exercise and training is a must.

I really think it depends on the dog. Like Lucy said both breeds are very trainable. You might see some rottie traits, you might see some lab traits but no matter what it's still a dog....keep the training positive and make him a good representave of any breed.

One other thing that just came to mind. If you get a rottie/lab mix I would highly recommend getting him or her swimming. Both breeds love water and the benefits of swimming a dog are phenomenal.
Why do you say 'of course we have no rotties who go to day care'?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Valued Member

I meant it in the sense that....figures, rotties are my favorite breed and there are none in daycare. I personally would LOVE to have one....can you guess which dog would be my favorite?

I get it though. Most of the dogs that come to daycare are lowkey, laid back, go with the flow dogs. Most rotties are a breed that doesn't tolerate stupidity well in other dogs. Much as the thought process that rotties don't do well in dog parks and it's not recommended to take them I do think for 99.9% of the rotties out there, they would not do well with daycare.

It most assuredly is not because they are not welcome.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant
Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunie's mom View Post
Just want to mention something you said in this quote. Please STOP using a laser pointer. This often leads to obsessive compulsive behavior with Rottweilers....they become fixated on any points of light.

If you scroll to the top of the page to the blue bar...and click on 'Search' and put in 'laser pointer'.....you will see how many negative threads there are concerning laser pointers.

There are many other better ways to distract her...and I suggest you enroll into obedience classes to learn how to teach her.

Gina

Thanks, Gina. I haven't heard that before. I'll definitely check out the posts like you suggested. Lucky's not that fascinated by the laser pointer anymore, so she won't miss it.

I don't think I'll need it, anyway. I had a 'duh' moment the other day - I realized she didn't react to her name. Because she was 1 when I got her, I assumed she knew her name. I just had to teach her to react to her name, so the distractions are no longer necessary.

We're enrolled in classes that begin next month. Hopefully they'll teach me what I need to know :)

I appreciate the advice!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Novice Member

Thanks very much for all the info! I apologize about taking so long to reply, been real busy myself. I'm totally fine with long responses Dpunch, because like you said it's been hard to find much info about this mix. And thanks Gina for that tip about laser pointers, I had no idea!

I really do appreciate all the help here, it's been wonderful to hear your stories about your dogs! :)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 AM

I've had Jazz, a black lab/rotti mix since he was a puppy. I swear he is the best of both worlds. He's obedient and stoic and quiet like a rotti, but loves everything and everyone like a goofy lab should. He was a power chewer when he was younger, but he's been off that phase since he turned 2 and a half. There is a lot of hair, and he thinks he's a lap dog (which is tough with a heavy pup), but he has just the best personality in the world.

I haven't had too many issues renting because he is solid black; no tan whatsoever. But you can certainly see the rottiness in his face and cute ears.

My sister also adopted a rotti/lab, but he is a barker. Other than that he's super.