Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Rottweiler Rescue
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Rottweiler Rescue Congratulations! You've decided to adopt a Rottweiler! Talk to fellow adopters, rescue groups and those who offer guidance and support. What does a rescue group do? How is a dog prepared for placement? Is this dog a good match for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM

Re: Please advise on rescue rotti

I already did, starting May 9th. I am still choosing which one. Initially I planned just for Basic Obidience. But this season our school is starting new class on the same day "Manners/Fundamentals for a Good House Dogs", designed specifically for an adult rescues: how to establish leadership, greeting stranger etc. Will see how she does between now and then.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM

Wow, that brings back so many memories. The day I brought Lola home from the Humane Society she walked in my house like she had always been there. Made herself very comfortable and was not the least bit shy or worried about anything. She seems very self confident like my girl

She is going to be a star in obedience class. I am looking forward to hearing of her progress.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuki View Post
. It was her first time in tha car - she was not bothered at all, ate treats, went back to crate, then laid by me, put her big head on my knees and fell asleep.
That brought a happy tear to my eye - welcome home
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart
Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I already did, starting May 9th. I am still choosing which one. Initially I planned just for Basic Obidience. But this season our school is starting new class on the same day "Manners/Fundamentals for a Good House Dogs", designed specifically for an adult rescues: how to establish leadership, greeting stranger etc. Will see how she does between now and then.
This is excellent! Wish they had that when I brought Lola home
Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Vintage Valued Member

Well she sounds perfectly calm and self assured, doesn't she? I like her! Now that she's with you, I'm sure she'll put on that bit of weight she needs. She's a lovely girl, and you'll be very happy!

Oh I'm looking forward to hearing about those classes! Take your time choosing which class. She's sounding like directly to obedience over the fundamentals class at the moment, but that's up to you. Nothing will help the two of you learn about each other and bond, more quickly than classes! ENJOY! Your new girl is home now, and I am sure Leena is smiling!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM

She looks beautiful! I'm so glad she seems to be adjusting so well.

ty for sharing your story. It warms my heart :)

best wishes to you and your new addition!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM

Well, since she was doing so well, I decided to start training earilier than planned. We did a little of basic commands from day one and yesterday went to our first class. She was the best in class. And we actually joined not a junior but a sophomore class. She may be didn't know all commands but temperment wise she was the best. She was not pulling, whining, trying to jump on other dogs. Every new command she would learn from the 1st time. Instructor was constantly taking her in front of a class to show how to teach your dog a new command because she was not shy or jumpy. She looks at me like saying "Tell me what to do, I want to do it". I was looking at other owners with their dogs and remembered myself being like them before. And now I have that amazing dog that is a quick learner, eager to perform all the time.
I know we are still in a honeymoon phase and one day I will wake up and she turned into evil
But for now I am just enjoying it a lot.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Well, since she was doing so well, I decided to start training earilier than planned. We did a little of basic commands from day one and yesterday went to our first class. She was the best in class. And we actually joined not a junior but a sophomore class. She may be didn't know all commands but temperment wise she was the best. She was not pulling, whining, trying to jump on other dogs. Every new command she would learn from the 1st time. Instructor was constantly taking her in front of a class to show how to teach your dog a new command because she was not shy or jumpy. She looks at me like saying "Tell me what to do, I want to do it". I was looking at other owners with their dogs and remembered myself being like them before. And now I have that amazing dog that is a quick learner, eager to perform all the time.
I know we are still in a honeymoon phase and one day I will wake up and she turned into evil
But for now I am just enjoying it a lot.

Why would you say that??? She sounds like a very nice dog with a very nice temperament. Keep up the good work as she seems to want to please and enjoys it too! As you yourself said, she's amazing!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM

I am very happy for you...I am still waiting for that dog that is the star in obedience class

The more you work with your new dog the more you will bond with each other, she is already looking to you for direction, you already have a nice connection. I bet there will not be a devilish stage with her, she sounds like a doll.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:36 PM

My second Rotti was given to me, she was being passed around nobody wanted her...

She was a blessing from heaven....best dog I ever owned....adapted to my cats right away (even tho they were being "butt heads")...someone had put a lot of time and training into her...It didnt matter what you tried to teach her the 3rd time it was a done deal...she picked up on things that I was even trying to teach her...

She was an amazing dog...

I had her for 8 yrs, she was approx 3 yrs when I got her...

She was never a problem....

Consider yourself "Blessed" dont ruin it by looking for a down side

Congats and best of luck with your new friend, enjoy her...
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Smile Re: Please advise on rescue rotti

She sounds like an amazing girl. Enjoy her!

Terra
Gaea

^Thor^
^Maia^
^Loki^
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Valued Member

She sounds like an absolute dream. Congrats and continued best wishes for many many years of happy training together

Niko ~ aka the Neeks Meister 07/10/2009
Simone ~ aka Princess Monie 11/20/2010
Chance ~ aka Widget 12/21/2013
Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Thank you everybody,

I hope she always stays that good. I think she is still very young. I thought she is about 1 year 3 months old but now I got her records from Arizona when she was first picked up as a stray on October 27th. They estimated her age at 11 months old. There is no way she was 11 months then. They took her picture on the 1st day and she looks like a small pup to me, not more than 4-5 months old. At 11 months she should've been almost full grown but she was small with a huge head. I think she is about 10 month old now. I don't think she is a full rotti. She is leggy, chest is too narrow. She really looks like black and tan coonhound minus ears and tail
With her long awkward legs she runs around the house like a spider.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Thank you everybody,

With her long awkward legs she runs around the house like a spider.
Ha ha, your description cracked me up

Personally, I loathe spiders with a vengence, so I might have picked another comparison

I look forward to seeing more photos of your long leggedy monster
Old 04-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Valued Member

With fair and consistent training, she will stay the lovely girl she is now. Keep up the good work.
47,979 companion animals euthanized in NJ in 2003
49,975 in 2004, 40,706 in 2005
Report Abuse: NJSPCA 800-582-5979
BAN IRRESPONSIBILITY, NOT BREEDS