Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > The Rainbow Bridge
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

The Rainbow Bridge Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge And just this side of Rainbow Bridge is a special forum to express your grief as well as offer your support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 03:33 PM
100 yr old Valued Member

Sweet Dreams, "Roscoe" ...

It is with a seriously broken heart I've been asked to impart the following to all Forum members past, present and future:

On May 30th at approximately 12:30pm, the Rottweiler World lost a great friend, a fierce guardian of the Rottweiler, and the creator of a Rottweiler Community that was formatted so that everyone, from the average pet owner, to knowledgeable breeders and working dog folk could come together to learn and teach and learn some more. It matters not if you have a rescued dog, a backyard bred dog, an International Champion, or top-level competitor in one of a dozen venues that our breed is so willing to work at. Everyone has been welcome to utilize these Forums, and take part in something much bigger than just one person.

“Roscoe” is gone. For the first time since I joined these Forums, I am nearly speechless. Roscoe never asked for a penny from anyone. He financed the operations of Rottweiler.net out of his own pocket. Hundreds of dollars a month, just so that we could get together as a Community and work together for this noble breed we are all so crazy about. He sacrificed a lot. His family, supportive of this endeavor to the end, sacrificed as a result of his love for The Rottweiler, and his love for us. His people. His friends. His “other” family.

Roscoe, or Richie (in real life) was a Community Organizer in the biggest way! (now that he’s gone I can say that without him coming after me!)

I can personally vouch for the fact that I now have dear, dear friends all over this world because of Richie. I have travelled to places I never would, had I not found these Forums. I would not have learned what I did, or become the teacher I’ve become without these Forums. I probably would not show dogs or compete in any way without these Forums. I owe a lot to my brother from a different mother, Roscoe. I’ve been host to friends in my home I’d have never met had it not been for these Forums. Just as in any Community, there are those who give and those who take, and fortunately, I’ve met many, many more givers than takers, which gives me great hope for the Human Race. For within this Community, we have an International gathering of people. He gave us the opportunity to learn from each other, to love each other, to appreciate not only our similar passions, but to respect our differences as well.

Richie stayed in the background as much as possible. He was not into being the “limelight”; rather, he let the Forums basically run themselves as long as people respected the parameters he set forth.

He never minced words. He made people laugh. He made people cry. He made people happy. He made people mad. He was human. Inside of his gruff fašade was a man who loved people who like himself, didn’t mince words. He loved our breed fiercely, and he loved his family more fiercely.

Richie was extremely proud to have served as a United States Marine in the Vietnam War. He made his pilgrimage to Washington D.C. with his grandsons to spend a week touring everything from the Arlington National Cemetery, to the Smithsonian to the White House in order to give his boys a sense of this Country’s great History. He was an active member of Grasonville VFW Post 7464 since the Rott Stock in Maryland over a decade ago.

He was a champion for Rescues, and together with a few key members of the Forum, created RottStock, a nationwide effort to raise funds and awareness for rescues around the country. We raised a total of $10,000 the second year we held these gatherings. Not bad for a boy from Brooklyn.

For the past two years (and then some), Roscoe had been out of work due to a serious work related injury. He was diabetic, he had cardiac issues, and not only did he keep the Forums up and running, he had a long legal battle due to the injury he sustained. As ornery as Roscoe could be at times, he couldn’t scare away that damned Grim Reaper.

Roscoe had a major cardiac arrest a week ago Tuesday. One of his grandsons just happened to be home from school when he heard his grandfather fall from his bed. This young man made heroic efforts by calling 911 and performing CPR until EMT arrived, and he saved his grandpa’s life. It was necessary to put Ricie on Life Support when he arrived at the Hospital, because unfortunately, too much time had elapsed between the episode and receiving help. Yesterday, he was taken off Life Support and he passed peacefully within a matter of hours.

There are several people working in the background right now attempting to keep the Forums going. They have a lot of work cut out for them in order to successfully pull this feat off. There is currently no way to back up the Forums, so please be patient if the Forums get a bit glitchie over the next couple of months. It is expected that the same rules apply to all members that have always applied.

Richie is survived by his wife Avon, their daughter and her husband, and his two beloved grandsons that he helped rear as his own children.

A fundraiser will be put together for Richie’s family. Let’s see if “Roscoe’s” other family will show them the same love that Richie has shown the Rottweiler and this community for the past 16 years.

I love you, man. Sweet dreams.

Semper Fi and Carry on!

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Last edited by poohbearsmom; 05-31-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:01 PM
Valued Member

Re: Sweet Dreams, "Roscoe" ...

Thank you Elisabeth for putting together and writing so eloquently this horrible news. I know we picked the right person to do this awful job. (((hugs my dear friend)))

Roscoe was a very complex man. There were many times that him and myself butted heads, but in the end, we couldn't say see ya without a "smoooch" or love ya over the phone. I can't tell ya how many "fractions" I received or posts deleted by THE MAN. He was not partial to anyone on the forum, though many thought that. I guess they thought they knew him, but they didn't.

Yes he had his demons, but don't we all? As Pooh said....he was human. We all have our weaknesses and strengths

Bruce feels so bad as he truly liked Richie and would talk up a storm on the phone with him. That alone was a miracle for Bruce hates talking on the phone but Richie had his way of getting to you.

He and Avon raised some very awesome young gentlemen, their grandsons. He taught them respect, manners, honor, integrity, faith in God and general humility. They will become someones better half someday and be productive citizens.

Avon was so proud of Richie's accomplishment of creating RDN. He was proud of it too. And should be. There is no other forum like it.

You and Larry can take shifts now as being Kennel Masters at the Bridge. Connie, Boots and Sensi I know are licking you to pieces right now. Just stop them but I know you won't. That was your joy.

Damn you! I will miss you my friend more then you will ever know. You know how I hate coming to the Rainbow Bridge. This thread has me crying the hardest.

As always with much love, Semper Fi and smooooooch.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Last edited by JoJo; 05-31-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: needed to rewrite a few lines thru tears
Old 05-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Old Timer

Unhappy Re: Sweet Dreams, "Roscoe" ...

Good bye my old friend. I'll share the pickle with you at the bridge. Larry will also be happy to FINALLY have a helper.

On a serious note,

ROSCOE was one heck of a man! He did so much to keep the ROTTWEILER the breed it was meant to be. I will miss my friend...........

RIP the one and only ROSCOE.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:47 PM
Ancient Valued Member

I am flat out speechless
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13
Old 05-31-2014, 04:58 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Damn you! I will miss you my friend more then you will ever know. You know how I hate coming to the Rainbow Bridge. This thread has me crying the hardest.

As always with much love, Semper Fi and smooooooch.
As always..................the man...the myth....the legend
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart
Old 05-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Vintage Valued Member

What a loss. I am so sad. Semper Fi, big guy.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:20 PM

I am also at a loss for words. If only I would have done more in the past to let him know just how much I appreciated all his hard work for us and the breed. I honestly did not know until today about the subscriptions mentioned in another post. I have joined to help fund the efforts put out by Roscoe and his family. Not much but hope it helps. I am anxious to take part in whatever fundraising effort takes place. Roscoe will be missed very much.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:28 PM

This is so very sad, may his family find comfort during this difficult time.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:42 PM

RIP
Smoooooooooooooooink!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2014, 05:53 PM

Roscoe did so much for all of us on the forums, I am so glad I got to meet him at 2003 rottstock, no one fought harder and gave the breed so much. My heart is heavy, your family is in my prayers. I wouldn't have made it through my time with Zeke back then or become so rottie savy had I not found this place and made so many wonderful lifelong friends. I know you are with all our beloved rotties and ornery as ever. Miss you always.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Valued Member

I have many fond memories of Richie and our conversations. I am still trying to comprehend the reality of this....
- Henry David Thoreau -
Old 05-31-2014, 05:57 PM

Thank you for everything you did, I am a better dog person because of you.

RIP Roscoe
Old 06-02-2014, 09:14 AM

My condolences to all his family and friends. I can't express the impact that Rott.net has had on my life, and that was made possible by Roscoe. I am so blessed to have found this place nearly 10 years ago, and from it has come dear friends, and my 3 beautiful family companion Rottweilers, ^Arwen^, Trent, and Echo. Thank you for the gift of knowledge and friendship, and rest easy with the Angels above.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Valued Member

Words are so cheap at such times. I send my condolences to his family and friends. I hope he got all he could out of this life. I am indebted to him for his most significant contribution to the world that this forum is.

Dog is my copilot and she's a Rottweiler.

Flight Captain: Faith b. 2000 - d. 6.29.12
(Always in my heart)
First Lieutenant: Hope b. 5.14.12
Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Valued Member

I was stunned when I read this 2 days ago. I had no words then nor do I now.

All I can say is that RDN and the service it provides Rottie owners/lovers and ALL dog owners - can't even start to tell you how many non-Rottie owners I have sent here for information from every category! - is unmatched.

We will all miss Roscoe/Ritchie and my prayers and thoughts are with his family.