Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Rottweiler Discussion Forums (http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/index.php)
-   Puppy Development (http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/puppy-development/)
-   -   All black rott (http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/puppy-development/70228-all-black-rott.html)

BabyBoy 05-23-2007 03:12 PM

All black rott

Is it even possiable for a rott to be all black? we have been looking into this for quite some time now and just found this web site. We have an almost 5 month old that is all black everyone thinks he is half black lab, and so did we till now, he has so many rott traits, and the only thing that even might be black lab on him is his ears. He has a little (and when i say little like 2 hairs across and 6 hairs down) white strip on his chest but he is pushin 50 pounds and must be 2 and half or taller HUGE paws short hair with a little wave down his back. He also has the rott body just handsom as can be. We love our dog and we want to make sure we are doing everything right we can be.

brunie's mom 05-23-2007 03:22 PM

Re: All black rott

I don't think a purebred Rottie is ever all black. They may have some "sooty" markings, meaning that the tan points are not very sharp or kind of blend into the black colour....but pure black I've not seen.

It could be that your pup is mixed with Lab...seems to be a common enough mix.

Since both Rotts and Labs are both breeds that need training and a job to do...please make sure to have your pup in obedience classes. They love to learn and really thrive learning and having activities to do.

Gina

StephanieandToby 05-23-2007 03:28 PM

Toby's brother had an almost all-black face...but had the mahogany markings on the other areas.

Sounds like your puppy's mommy might have been hanging out the red light! (*wink*)

Agenias 05-27-2007 11:00 AM

Hi,
Were you told that your pup was purebred? Our Sadie is all black, but she is Rottie/Newfie mix. I believe your pup is probably mixed, I have never heard of an all black Rottie. Our girl is 6.5 months and weighs 80 lbs, but she also looks very rottie too, shorter hair than a Newf, curled tail, ect. Her size is probably going to be closer to a Newfie though. It sounds like you will love your boy regardless of his heritage. Good luck to you!

goforit 05-27-2007 12:10 PM

I am a little confused. Was this a rescue dog or did you get it from a breeder who told you he was pure breed? There is another breed that looks very much like a Rottie, but are usually larger and more expensive. Cane Corso puppies are the breed I'm thinking of, but I doubt this is what you have.

slinger 05-27-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goforit (Post 754434)
There is another breed that looks very much like a Rottie, but are usually larger and more expensive. Cane Corso puppies are the breed I'm thinking of, but I doubt this is what you have.

The Cane Corso looks nothing like a Rottweiler. I don't know what Corsos you're looking at. :confused: Also, black and tan markings in the Corsos are considered a disqualification.