Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 05:47 PM

New Rottie Puppy - what do we need? and what shots also?

We just adopted a rottie-mix pup, (12 week old male named Sam) from a high-kill shelter. We hadn't planned on a rottie, we were actually trying to find a great pyranees, or a german shepherd dog, but we couldn't find one we wanted after a year, and so when we saw the rottie available, we took him. He was a stray pick-up no info on parents, He had a good clean aura and made a good impression, he seemed curious and calm, and explored around us, he has really big paws, a rottie head and build, but with big white splash on his chest, and some bridle coloration, I think he is likely a Boxer-Rottie mix, and based on his paw size I think he will be a big one.

Never had a pup before, our dogs were all adult rescues. What do we need for the pup? Here's what we have:

A blanket to sleep on
A harness and tether line
a regular cloth collar
a training collar
a leash
a thick length of knotted rope to chew on
a brush

we feed our dogs dry kibble and table scraps.

We ordered a puppy book but it has not arrived yet. Our dog is being neutered now and we will get it next week I think,

What else do we need for our pup? Suggestions?

Shots received are: Drontal 22.7
Drabies 12541A
Advantage
DHPP-BORD

What other shots does he need?

Last edited by rod5591; 05-01-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1000598 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: New Rottie Puppy - what do we need? and what shots also?

A crate would be the first thing you should get. Puppies house train much faster using a crate, and it's also a safe place for puppy to be when it cannot be watched.

A flat collar is all that is needed for now, no need for a training collar. Also not sure what you need a harness, or tether line for? I hope you don't plan on tying the pup outside with it??

I would buy some enzyme type of cleaner like Nature's Miracle for puppy accidents. I would also buy a couple of Kongs for stuffing and keeping puppy busy chewing, also some NylaBones for chewing. A stuffed toy or two is also fun for them to play with.

Training treats like Charlie Bears, or Rollover or Natural Balance cut up for training.
Also get signed up for Puppy Kindergarten classes...great way to socialize your pup, and to build a bond and leadership.

As far as shots...your puppy needs 3 sets of shots. Is this his second set now? or the 3rd?
You will need to call your own vet office after the adoption and see what they prefer. Also your pup will need to be on heart worm prevention as well as flea prevention and your vet will need to see the pup for that.

Also what kibble do you plan on feeding? Not all kibble is alike. There are some very good ones, and some very poor grain laden ones.

Let us know when you get him.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Novice Member

Re: New Rottie Puppy - what do we need? and what shots also?

Yes, plz take that tether and throw it away. I couldnt find the link.. but there was a study done related to all the human deaths resulting from dog attacks in the year of 2009. Keeping your dog on a chain or just leaving it to its own devices in the back yard were the most dangerous dogs. Not any specific breed! I am quoting from memory, so I could be off, but it was like 36 human deaths, 90% were dogs who had been on chains/tethers or left to their own devices in the back yard.
You never know when the neighbor may oversleep while her 2year old manages to escape the home and crawl into your yard. If your dog lives outside it wont get the socialization it needs to be a pet. It will remain an animal.
Ok So on to next =P:
1. Puppy class.. Petsmart will be just fine if you have no other options.
2. Toys and things to chew on, so your puppy don't chew on things you would prefer he didn't.
3. Crate to use for housetraining.
4. Lots of time and devotion for your puppy! Rotties are absolutely the BEST dogs if properly trained and socialized.
5. Gratz on your new family member and thanks for saving a life <3

Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM

Thanks, Gina:

A crate would be the first thing you should get. Puppies house train much faster using a crate, and it's also a safe place for puppy to be when it cannot be watched.

We plan on gating the pup into the kitchen when we are not around, where the linoleum floor will make cleaning up easier.

A flat collar is all that is needed for now, no need for a training collar. Also not sure what you need a harness, or tether line for? I hope you don't plan on tying the pup outside with it??

Not outside, possibly to the wall in the kitchen if needed, on a 6 ft leash, we have an eyehook anchored into the wall to hook the end of the leash into. We used this technique successfully with our Pom, if we hook her up to it, she lays quietly on her blanket with no complaints.

As far as shots...your puppy needs 3 sets of shots. Is this his second set now? or the 3rd?

Not sure, The pups intake was 4/25 and it received a DHHP-BORD and Drontal 22.7 on that day, then rabies shot and Advantage flea treatment on 4/25. I am guessing that was its first set of shots. So he will need 2 more sets? Do you know of what?

You will need to call your own vet office after the adoption and see what they prefer. Also your pup will need to be on heart worm prevention as well as flea prevention and your vet will need to see the pup for that.

We are actually shopping for vets now, our neighborhood vet must think we are rich since his bills take my breath away. Any tips on finding an economical vet?

Also what kibble do you plan on feeding? Not all kibble is alike. There are some very good ones, and some very poor grain laden ones.

We use Blue Buffalo for our dog, it is supposed to be good,, unfortunately our Pom will only eat it if she is starving....she prefers the cats dry Fancy Feast to the Blue Buffalo.

Let us know when you get him.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 PM

I am no expert but I don't think I would tie my Daisy to a wall in a kitchen or anywhere else in the house. I would worry they would get hooked up on a chair or something and choke themselves. Also your pup might chew everything in your kitchen like table legs, chair legs, wall trim,,CORDS. Please get a crate, they keep them safe when your not home.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
Our dog is being neutered now and we will get it next week I think,
Isn't 12 weeks way too early for your dog to be neutered? Or is it mandatory that you do in order to complete the adoption process?

So happy to hear that you are rescuing him!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONNY XXIII View Post
Isn't 12 weeks way too early for your dog to be neutered? Or is it mandatory that you do in order to complete the adoption process?

So happy to hear that you are rescuing him!
It's probably mandatory. The Humane Society I adopted my male from (in a neighboring county) said they had an agreement with my county and others to spay/neuter all "bully breed" dogs before they left the shelter. Breeds they considered to be bully-related were pit bulls, rotties, etc.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM

I would get two more sets of shots- parvo & distemper. The bord shot is not needed (it is for kennel cough) Your pup needs to be on a heartworm preventative too- very important! You might try an exercise pen for your pup (I prefer crates)
To save vet fees, every city (even in this rural area) as mobile vet clinics & low-cost clinics that give vaccines. You can also get your heartworm meds from them too, at a very low cost. But you really need to develop a good relationship with some vet for emergencies. I foster, so I take advantage of the low cost mobile vet clinics, but I have a vet that has treated my dogs for over 30yrs. Keep checking around- vet prices can vary greatly! You say your pup has a little brindle? If he is very large, he could be part Bullmastiff. They come in brindle. There are a number of Bullmastiff/Rottie crosses for sale online.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 AM

The Sheltler called and our male pup is ready for pick up today! We are so excited.

About the shots, they have already given him everything but Leptospirosis. They wormed him and gave him flea treatment.

How sore will he be after being neutered yesterday? Poor boy is only 3-4 months but they required him to be neutered before we could take him.

We plan to drop him and I off near our home and leash walk him around. My wife will go home to get our Pom and walk her out to us, then we will walk them together around for a bit, in an area we normally dont walk the Pom, then we will walk them home, allow the Pom in before the rottie, then separate them by gates, until we can evaluate how they get along. We really want our 3 year old female Pom to accept this little (soon to be big) guy and keep him company when we are out, sleep with him at night, etc., since we don't want our dogs in our bedroom.
Wish us luck!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 PM

We brought our new 4 month rottie pup home. The pup is not leash trained and wont walk with us. Our 2 cATS are outraged and stand with arched backs and paws raised to strike as soon as they saw him. They did a quick disappearing act and I later found one outside looking worried with eyes glued on the door. Our Pom seems intimidated and wants nothing to do with this big black puppy that is at barely 4 months already bigger that she is. I feel bad for all of them, that I seem to have brought such fear into our happy home. I am even wondering if I did the right thing in getting him. The pup hasn't even pooped or peed yet and it has been 6 hours, and he has been eating non stop. He is finally quiet in his crate, after whining and yelping every time I left his sight. My wife is exhausted in bed and I am not far behind. wish us luck!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: New Rottie Puppy - what do we need? and what shots also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
We brought our new 4 month rottie pup home. The pup is not leash trained and wont walk with us. Our 2 cATS are outraged and stand with arched backs and paws raised to strike as soon as they saw him. They did a quick disappearing act and I later found one outside looking worried with eyes glued on the door. Our Pom seems intimidated and wants nothing to do with this big black puppy that is at barely 4 months already bigger that she is. I feel bad for all of them, that I seem to have brought such fear into our happy home. I am even wondering if I did the right thing in getting him. The pup hasn't even pooped or peed yet and it has been 6 hours, and he has been eating non stop. He is finally quiet in his crate, after whining and yelping every time I left his sight. My wife is exhausted in bed and I am not far behind. wish us luck!
Did you think that it would all be sunshine and roses bringing home a new puppy???
Honestly, the cats will get over it, and the Pom will also learn to live with the puppy...just give everyone a chance.
I'm glad that you did get a crate...and right now that will be your best friend.
Don't let the puppy eat non-stop. Measure out the food, and feed him 3 times per day for now. Feed him in his crate...so he likes the crate. When he is out of the crate keep him on a leash.

Poor dog just came out of the shelter and was just neutered, he also is new to everything. Things will get better. Take some treats out with you outside, or a squeaky toy, and lure the puppy to walk towards you and beside you to get him used to a leash. If you have a fenced in yard, just let him drag the leash around (while supervised) so that he gets used to the feeling of having a leash on.

Read all of the "stickies" in the Puppy Development forum...so much good information there.

Give it time, and things will get better.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM

You can't expect a 4month old puppy from a shelter to know how to walk on a leash. He is a BABY! He is probably terrified. Cats being nasty to him, a strange dog, strange humans, a strange place! Think of it from his point of view! Your other dog is an adult- she will settle down & the cats will get used to him sooner or later. Feed him small meals, or he will get an upset stomach. Don't just let him eat all he wants. Be patient with him! He is scared and you are all he has! He is all alone, the other animals are not being friendly to him, you have lost your patience, and your wife has gone to bed! Geez! Give the little guy some sympathy! He was just neutered, so he is sore and is wondering what is going to happen to him. Don't expect so much from him! You will have to teach him to walk on leash, but let him get well & settled in first! I foster and have many pups here from time to time (sometimes several) I always let them settle in & get over their spay/neuter before I try and teach them anything. Just take him out and let him explore. Walk with him in your yard, sit on the ground & talk to him, pet him! Let your other dog see that he is now part of the family.