Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Puppy eating twigs/bark

My Pup is 4months old when i bring him outside it's like dinner time everytime i turn around he has some kind of twig in his mouth or some bark from a tree etc sure he's not the only dog that does that what are some ways you get him out of that habbit of eating everything outside on the ground?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Post Re: Puppy eating twigs/bark

Perfectly normal. All puppies do this, they explore with their mouth.
It's up to you to teach puppy the "drop it" and "leave it" command. Keep some sort of extra special tasting treats in every pocket...and when you go out start teaching. It's best if you keep puppy on leash for this. As soon as puppy starts eyeing and item to put in it's mouth say "leave it" and give a gentle tug on the leash...when puppy stops...praise and treat. If puppy manages to get something in it's mouth...show puppy the tasty treat you have and say "drop it". Most puppies will drop what they have in their mouth to get the treat...treat and praise.

I've also found when my pups were young...that if they were allowed to carry something in their mouth already during a walk...it helped to keep them from picking up things in their mouth. A tennis ball or a stick, or even an empty plastic water bottle...helps to keep their mouth occupied.

My pup was very good at grabbing stones...and keeping them in her mouth without me even noticing till she brought it into the house and dropped the stone on the floor.

They do grow out of it eventually.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 PM

Re: Puppy eating twigs/bark

My 6 month old has done the same thing since day 1 but it's getting better as time progresses. He still loves sticks, acorns, bark, mulch, rocks... basically anything he can find, but it's getting better. Brunie's advice is exactly what we've done when we spend time in the yard and it really helps.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 PM

Ha ha ha, I have an almost 4 month old, and he is at the want to explore everything in my mouth stage too, especially sticks.
Thank god he knows the drop it command, or my hand would have loads of puppy teeth marks.
They do grow out of it

Taz 1/10-7/10 RIP Never had a chance :(
Roxy a rescued rott RIP Oct 27, 09
Mercy Rescued pup RIP May 19th 2011

Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 AM

Ya i been doing the leave it/drop it but i usually forget to bring out the treats.... i think i might have to rake didnt realize i had so many twigs on my lawn lol

Old 04-29-2010, 01:50 PM

My puppy eats twigs and dirt also but he is already 10 months old. Do you know about what age they start to grow out of it?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 PM

My boy, Gus, does the same thing. He's getting better and has learned to drop it. He doesn't respond so much to the word "no" but a sharp "eh, eh, eh" gets his attention. We've tried the bitter spray and fooey spray and he LOVES them. He does NOT care for cayenne pepper, so I'd sprinkle that in problem areas! Eating too much grass, dirt, mulch, and sticks gave him very bad diarrhea.