Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Novice Member

2 Videos of 3 pups from a litter of 8 with seemingly bad joints..1 in particular is very bad, possibly “rickets”? PLEASE HELP!?

Hi everyone I'm a 28 year old up & coming rottie breeder(actually I've more or less just started) from the caribbean island of Trinidad & Tobago. I love the breed as since I was an adolescent we've had quite a few.
I own 3 adult registered rotties 1 male & 2 females. One of my bitches had a litter of 8 on August the 30th (they will be 11 weeks on Sunday) & I'm having challenges with 3 pups..1 male & 2 females.One of the females in particular is a big concern for me.Since birth they have been reared inside the house on the ground in a fairly spacious blocked off area & they have'nt been allowed to go outside,in the yard etc. mainly because of a bad outbreak of parvo in Trini that has been snuffing out pups here & there for the past few years & of course rotties get special attention! I've had 2 pups to get parvo within the past 2 years & after several late nights of dedication they survived & are doing great! So usually any pup I get I keep inside until 2 weeks after they get all their shots.
After doing lots of online research I think that "rickets" could be their problem.
I have posted 2 videos on Youtube for someone I know to try to help me evaluate what the problem is (cause the majority of vets in Trinidad are grossly inexperienced when it comes to having helpful knowledge on certain things!). The first vid (of the 3 pups) was taken on Nov.1st & the second vid (of the worst girl) was taken on Nov.6th. Out of the 3 the 2 that are'nt as bad seem to be getting "slightly" better but still bad & the one with the biggest problem seems to be getting slighty worse!
I was told that rottweiler.net has the most experienced people so PLEASE help me..you can ask me any question you feel like. Here are the links to both videos (you may have to search for the titles on Youtube manually if the link does not work)...

(P.S. One thing I must say (cause I know I'm going to be questioned on this) NOT that I think it's a genetical issue BUT Trinidad & Tobago is very backward when in comes to sire & dam testing,basically it is NON exsistent only a few breeders have genetically tested stock & thats because they are well off & payed hundreds of thousands to import breeding rotties.We have NO OFA or Pennhip or any of the other testing criterias I have read about that exsist in the US & UK etc. so basically all we have to go on is the generational history of the dogs & I'm sure most breeders are NOT honest about that! Most people just look at a pup think it looks good & buy it on whim!)

Last edited by roscoe; 11-13-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 PM

Re: 2 Videos of 3 pups from a litter of 8 with seemingly bad joints..1 in particular is very bad, possibly “rickets”? PLEASE HELP!?

i am just a regular person that belongs to this site,
those poor puppies must be going stir crazy from being confined in that boring awful looking place!!! for how many weeks?
one little ball for a toy?

just my reaction from reading your post.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM

Re: 2 Videos of 3 pups from a litter of 8 with seemingly bad joints..1 in particular is very bad, possibly “rickets”? PLEASE HELP!?

sorry , could not help myself, i will follow the rules.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:29 PM

I think I'm going to puke.

In all my years, I've NEVER heard of 3 pups in one litter having rickets. I'd venture to say you've bred really poor quality stock and the resulting pups are thus also poor quality. Looks like really bad conformation to me, but I don't know any breeders who produce this kind of crap so I can't say I've seen a puppy so bow-legged.

The area where you're housing these puppies looks FILTHY. The vids look like a commercial for the HSUS, for Christ's sake!

Do us a favor and STOP breeding dogs until you learn how to do it right. And for God's sake, if you don't have a vet that can care for your babies - STOP MAKING THEM!

Last edited by jayneliz; 11-13-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Rules

Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayneliz View Post
I think I'm going to puke.!
Move over!

My first thoughts even as an inexperienced lay person when it comes to breeding were "oh those poor genetically, malformed, handicapped pups." It's painful to watch.
King, my wonderful GS, waiting at the bridge, 14 yo

Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 PM

I am not going to slam you but honestly those pups break my heart. Please, please find a vet willing to give them all the care they are going to need. Then please leave the breeding to the professionals. If you say you love the breed so much then I think you know you need to stop.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 PM
100 yr old Valued Member

It almost looks as though the pups are lacking patellas (knee caps)! If this is what is wrong, I know of a breeder who had a pup from a very well bred litter that suffered from this condition. The pup was normal in development it seemed till 6-7 weeks if I recall correctly. Please get these pups to the nearest hospital immediately. If those were my pups, they'd likely be put down.

To some of you who are responding, please realize that different parts of the world do things a bit differently than we might here in the States, and everyone has to start somewhere. The OP came here for help, and is obviously puzzled and distressed about the condition of his pups. It only takes one nightmare like this for a caring human being to take stock of the situation. Why not let's give hm81 the benefit of the doubt here and act like the educational forum we claim to be. I've seen a lot worse kennel conditions from "COE breeders".

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Last edited by poohbearsmom; 11-14-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane View Post
i am just a regular person that belongs to this site,
those poor puppies must be going stir crazy from being confined in that boring awful looking place!!! for how many weeks?
one little ball for a toy?

just my reaction from reading your post.
I'm still waiting to hear something helpful & positive from a person with some "real" knowledge on rottweilersI did'nt go through posting these vids & asking an obviously sensitive question for all this lovely critisicm.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayneliz View Post
I think I'm going to puke.

In all my years, I've NEVER heard of 3 pups in one litter having rickets. I'd venture to say you've bred really poor quality stock and the resulting pups are thus also poor quality. Looks like really bad conformation to me, but I don't know any breeders who produce this kind of crap so I can't say I've seen a puppy so bow-legged.

The area where you're housing these puppies looks FILTHY. The vids look like a commercial for the HSUS, for Christ's sake!

Do us a favor and STOP breeding dogs until you learn how to do it right. And for God's sake, if you don't have a vet that can care for your babies - STOP MAKING THEM!
Seems like you've never heard of alot of things cause it is definitely possible for 3 pups in a litter to get rickets & for it to have absolutely nothing to do with "poor quality stock"..I have no idea what HSUS is & I really don't care to know..the area that I have these puppies in is actually disinfected with water & bleach solution on a regular basis & then saw dust is spread to make cleaning up easier I assure you it IS quite clean! Thanks for calling the pups crap & not offering any explanation as to why they are this way.
I'll continue to wait for someone who has some positve information for me..thanks again for those great pessimisic comments..we should do this again sometime.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Novice Member

Once again thanks that was really helpful.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Novice Member

Thank you very much Poohbearsmom that was my whole point in posting this question & you understand exactly where I am coming from as someone hailing from a totally different part of the world (especially where dog breeding is concerned).
This situation is a very stressful one & although you did'nt offer any suggestions I appreciate that someone sensible finally gets it.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:46 AM

I work for a vet and this looks like poor nutrition for these puppies. Also could be from lack of sun which gives them Vit D that they need to mature into healthy puppies. Just like others said please, please stop breeding your dogs. You are ruining the breed.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Novice Member

Again miss Terri Lambert explain to me how I am "ruining" the breed?..that phrase is one I seem read over & over again from people who just seem to really want to strike a nerve.Both parents are very impressive dogs that came from breeders that have reputable kennels (in Trinidad anyway).
I feed Canidae All Life Stages which I know is a good food , the mom nursed these pups up until 8 - 9 weeks...probably the flooring they are on & lack of direct sunlight could be a factor.Seems I'm going to have to continue searching for my own information.
I intend to make these pups have a full recovery if possible cause I do beleive it could be rickets..I'm still open to anyone who has something useful to say & I'm definitely not going to stop breeding cause I am NO quitter my goal is to be the owner of a reputable kennel.
Please people I'm not some kid that needs scolding..I was told that this site would be a excellent source of solid advice when it comes to any & everything on rottweilers but so far I feel like I'm asking this question on Yahoo Answers or something..the ridicule & insult mode is in full swing & the help is 0.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Novice Member

(P.S This area is in the basement the bottom of the walls may look discoloured but that is only because whatever pups we have had in the past all stay in that same area and as we know pups can be messy...I don't why I'm bothering to justify myself to you but I guess you did strike a nerve by basically calling me a filthy person..so hurray for you!)

Old 11-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbearsmom View Post
It almost looks as though the pups are lacking patellas (knee caps)!
How would this be diagnosed? Palpation, Xray? Is there any hope for the puppies if they are lacking patellas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriLambert
I work for a vet and this looks like poor nutrition for these puppies. Also could be from lack of sun which gives them Vit D that they need to mature into healthy puppies.
If it's poor nutrition or lack of sun, at this age is that something they could recover from?

Highmaan81 - your goal in posting this would be better served if you simply respond to the constructive posts and forgive the insults. I do realize things are "different" in other parts of the world.....you also have to realize that and understand that we don't see this type of thing often and it evokes an emotional response for some.