Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 AM

Whining, crying... and a question about his tongue

This is my first posting on this message board so I thought I would begin by saying hello and introducing myself. My name is Ken and my wife and I just purchased a 9 week old male Rottweiler puppy that we named Cody. He is absolutely adorable, as all puppies are, and so far he's been a great dog. Unfortunately, he has three little issues which I am curious about.

1) He whines and cries A LOT! About EVERYTHING! If we hold him for too long (more than a minute), he whines and cries nonstop. This proves to be a problem as we need to carry him down the stairs of our third floor apartment every 20-30 minutes so that he can pee. In a week we will be moving into our new house that has a huge backyard, but right now it's an issue. He also cries and whines and we try to play with him, when he wants a bone that our other dog is chewing on, when we try to take him for walks, when he is outside for more than a few minutes at a time, when he is in his kennel, when he is out of his kennel, well, you get the point. He literally is ALWAYS crying and whining. My wife and I have had several dogs and we have never experienced something like this.

2) He refuses to go for walks. He HATES walking for some reason. We have tried to lead him with treats, we have tried having him follow our other dog, we have tried having our other dog follow him, we have tried talking him for walks on leash and off. We don't get it! Every other dog we have had LOVED walks and as soon as we would grab the leash they would practically be waiting by the door! As soon as we grab the leash with Cody, he starts to whine and cry (surprise, surprise!)

3) Finally, he seems to always have his tongue hanging out, even when he is whining and crying! He walks around with it hanging out, plays with other dogs with it hanging out, even sleeps with it hanging out!

Any help any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

I just joined this site and look forward to chatting with many of you as over the next few months or even next few years.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 AM

Re: Whining, crying... and a question about his tongue

Hi. My boy is 5 months old now and he used to whine alot for no particular reason. Its like frustration with them..Like a child protesting...As long as hes not injured then ignore it, dont pander to it. My boy also hated going for a walk. I had to drag him, but I took him to a large enclosed field. Made sure we were alone, took his lead off and I sat on the floor. Suddely the pup who wouldnt walk, leapt into the air like a spring lamb and started running around in circles like a loon..Now hes loves going out. Cant help you with the tongue issue, but stick with his quirks. Rotties are the most unique dogs, every one a different character...but worth any amount of hassle

Old 06-03-2009, 05:46 AM

The noise making and problems with leash training sound like normal puppy stuff, but the tongue hanging out *all the time* doesn't sound so normal.

Has your pup been checked by the vet?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 AM

Sounds like a normal rottie pup tp me. I have a 7 month old that wouldn't walk on or off a leash until about 12 weeks, cried all te time, didn't want us to old or snuggle him and his tongue was always out, like it didn't fit in his mouth. Your boy Cody is a little baby and they don't need to go on walks this young. Enjoy him, mine is now a wonderfully adjusted young boy. Rotties are not like any other breed, they have alot of "unique quirks". My last rottie was named Cody...Welcome to te forum, keep reading the "puppy development" posts you will learn alot, I did

Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 AM

Post Re: Whining, crying... and a question about his tongue

I agree..normal puppy behavior. Many puppies don't like to be carried..and whine because they are uncomfortable .
He whines in his crate...just because.

The tongue part...I've never heard of. Has he been checked out by your vet?
It's not normal for a puppy to have it's tongue hanging out all of the time.

Where did you get this puppy from?

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM

First of all, I genuinely appreciate the feedback and advice of each and every one of you. I am honestly amazed at how quickly I got quality feedback! Although I have never had a Rottweiler before, my wife's father has had two, I have a lot of experience working with big cats (tigers, lions, and panthers) and other animals, including several other dog breeds. It seems that for some reason, to me at least, Cody cries and whines more than any other baby animal I have worked with. I figured that this was fairly normal, but I just wanted to make sure.

Bentleyboy, I can't wait to allow Cody to roam free in our backyard and then, eventually, go to a dog park! I am looking forward to seeing the little guy who crazy, in a healthy way of course! While my wife and I have worked very diligently on socializing him with other dogs and children, we have only socialized him with the dogs of friends as our vet told us to not take Cody to a dog park for at least a few more weeks in order to avoid him getting sick from the other dogs there.

Teck, about the tongue, did your dog's tongue ever "fit" normally? This is one of the things that concerns me most about him. I purchased him from what seems to be a very reputable breeder and Cody seems to have a healthy pedigree. Both parents were even hip dysplasia certified. I took him to the vet and she didn't seem at all concerned about it.

Anyway, thank you all for your feedback. I am sure I will be asking many more questions in the future and hopefully can help answer the questions of others based on my own experience. Have a great day!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavidson78 View Post
I can't wait to allow Cody to roam free in our backyard and then, eventually, go to a dog park! I am looking forward to seeing the little guy who crazy, in a healthy way of course! While my wife and I have worked very diligently on socializing him with other dogs and children, we have only socialized him with the dogs of friends as our vet told us to not take Cody to a dog park for at least a few more weeks in order to avoid him getting sick from the other dogs there.
Please do a search here and read about the dangers of dog parks before you expose your puppy to them. The risks in taking your Rottweiler to dog parks far outweighs any potential benefit.

The best way to allow him interaction with other dogs is precisely the way you're already doing it....let him play with known dogs that are puppy friendly. That will do him far more good than what he is likely to experience at a dog park (dogs that bully, dogs that challenge, groups of dogs that gang up on one, etc., etc., etc......and for each one of these, there is a clueless owner who does not understand how detrimental this is to a dog (and especially a puppy).

As for the tongue thing, I'm assuming he has free access to water during the day, correct? Is it hot where you are? Rottweiler do not tolerate heat all that well and overheating is a concern in warmer climates. Other than that, I can't think of anything else other than he's just having the time of his little life running around and wearing himself out, LOL!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:40 PM

Yes, his tongue finally did fit, but if you look closely at alot of rottie pics you will see a little tip of the tounge hanging out a bit. It is very normal and has nothing to do with his breeders. Enjoy him, he sounds like a great little guy and lucky to have parents that are so concerned about him. Post a pic of him when you have time. Everyone here will help you with what ever questions/problems you have. Everyone has been wonderful to me and my Wynston.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Hi there and welcome!
Beautiful little guy you have there. His tongue was not hanging out in the picture? Is it only when he is excited or sleeping? At this age, when are they not excited though,lol?
The whining is normal, he will outgrow it.
I agree with not exposing him to dog parks at this age. I personally do not go to dog parks as there are too many trouble makers but that is a personal choice.
It is also normal for them to fight walking and the leash at this age... he is trying to figure out why that thing wont let him play freely! My girl just turned 7 months on the 28th and when she was this age she would sit there like you want me to do what?
Enjoy him being this little, it does not last long.