Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 AM

on average how much should a 10 week old (male) pup weigh?

approximately 3 weeks ago at the vet, at almost 6.5 weeks old he weighed in at, (forgive me i may be wrong but feel confident) 4.95 lbs.

now at 10 weeks old i am reading on here that pups his age are 20-some odd lbs?!?!

i could be wrong but i dont think he is anywhere near that mark??

i am curious and am going to my mothers to use the scale tomorrow! but is my pup either younger than the breeder told me, or just a small pup, or is that a common thing?

help me out please, thank you guys all of you are helping us 2 out tremendously!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM

Re: on average how much should a 10 week old (male) pup weigh?

I would say that a 10 week old male should be weighing about the 25lb mark. Rule of thumb is 10 lbs / month of age....given that he is 2.5 months old roughly 25 lbs. 5 lbs at 6.5 weeks? Yikes that is about the size of a 2-3 week old puppy......perhaps you are not correct in the weight.

It sounds as though you have had him since he was 6.5 weeks old why did the breeder separate him from his mom and littermates so early? And now you have doubts as to his age......my suspicion is that your 'breeder' isn't really much of a decent breeder sadly.

There are certainly cases where there are 'runts' in a litter.....my first litter had a male puppy that was the runt....at 8 weeks going home he did weigh less than his littermates however he was still 17lbs.

Let us know what he weighs when he's in for his next shots!!

Heather

Old 03-24-2009, 04:13 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: on average how much should a 10 week old (male) pup weigh?

Heather is right, a 10 week old male pup, from a good breeder should weigh in at around 25 lbs. Instead of taking him to your mother's to be weighed, pop into your vet's office. They never charge and are happy to weigh a puppy/dog during office hours.

Has your pup been to the vet? It should say how much he weighed at his first vet visit. Usually the breeder takes them to their own vet to be checked out, weighed and vaccinated before going to their new homes. Did your pup not come with any paperwork? Most breeders also request that you take your puppy to the vet within 48 hours of coming home just for a quick going over.

Your vet should have given you a little puppy booklet with his weight written down. Has the puppy been wormed? That could be the cause of his small size.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 AM

My male pup is coming up to nine weeks on Friday and he weighs 16lbs, he's not overweight either and looks good for it, I'm not an expert but thought it might help to compare! xx

Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Deoji weighed in at 11lbs at 8 weeks. Now 4 months and 1 week, he is now 55lbs. He has been putting on 2.5+ a week (55lbs / 17 weeks = 3.23lbs average week)

His sister Pebbles is 45lbs. (45lbs / 17 weeks = 2.64lbs average week)

I'm not an expert, but I don't think I have ever encountered a 8 week old at 20lbs. Deoji's big brother Tank though was closer to 14lbs at 8 weeks. I don't think the 2.5lbs week average really starts taking off until 10-12 weeks. But that's my opinion.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 PM

My smallest female was 13 pounds at 8 & 1/2 when she went home, was always 3 to 5 pounds behind her sisters. My males where about 17 pounds or so when they went home. Now at four months the smallest has caught up to her sisters and the biggest male weighs about 50 pounds and my male weighs about 44 pounds. But I think your male is either small for his age or not really 10 weeks old, do you have papers for him, if so calculate his age in weeks.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 AM

jordan and i went to vet today because he began having violent diarrhea, turns out he had coccidia!! that sucks. i feel bad for him...

the vet weighed him at 9.6 lbs, a far cry from 25 lbs, but the vet and i kinda came to the conclusion the breeder lied on the age to me! wow. but as well she said that given the fact he is from a big litter of 13, and the "lliving situation" he was in before i took him (the pups were in dim lit, dirty basement, where all pups had one feed source, think trough, and think of it 13 pups all going at it for the same food!), that those situations all worked toward making him smaller than average pup..BUT she said that she is very impressed, coccidai aside, in his overall health, growth, bite inhibition, socialization, and houssebreaking practice!!!!

WE ARE DOING GOOD!!!

POOR GUY IS SICK, AND 1 WEEK YOUNGER THAN THOUGHT TO BE BUT OH WELL, i care way more about his health and socialization above all!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:28 AM

Hello,Ive never written a reply before so hope i dont sound silly, but i too got a female at 8 weeks from a bad breeder out for money,she was on her way to a pet shop,full of fleas and worms,she weighed 8lbs at 8 weeks,she looked a bit odd but i knew there was protential there somewhere,now at 19 weeks she is 36 lbs not huge ,not perfect yet ,but she sure makes up for it in brains and personality.All it took was a good worming, good food(she is on eagle pack),a few vet checks and a good home.Once they get this you'll see her changing each day into what a real rotti should look like.Healthy.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 AM

thank you, I feel very confident we are on the right track now. the vet seemed confident about it

Old 05-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Novice Member

I'm sure he will be fine, would love to hear what his weight is in a few weeks and months time. I have 2 females at 10 weeks old they are 20 lbs and 17 lbs. Hope everything works out for you.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 PM

The important thing is to feed quality food and worming and there shots. My female was on the small side also she came from a BYB (she was a rescue) and at 10 weeks she was a little over 10 lbs but diarhea also. Now she is 16months and is 75 lbs the vet didnt think would get over 60 lbs and she is not overweight at all. My male is 3 and he weights about 87 lbs he is shorter but his body proportion is perfect. People makes comments how small he is but I really dont care I couldnt imagine having a huge rotty with the prey drive that my male has. But they are absolute loves and i didnt get them to win any beauty contest that is why i chose to rescue. Unfortunately the BYB seem to have a rougher start and more health issues and one of these days there will be less and thank goodness the media is really starting to show the horrible conditions of these puppy mills and maybe people will understand the important of COE breeders. I give my hat off to the quality breeders and please keep informing us.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:11 AM

My Chuck weighed 17 pounds at 8 weeks old. He is now 8.5 months and just weighed in at the vets today at 88 pounds and he is very trim. I am keeping him trim due to ortho issues. I think most important is health not size!!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Novice Member

I have the same concerns. I am in the military and they passed a law that there can be no Rotties on post. So I bought one from a desperate Soldier needing to get rid of them (or they would have to move off Post). The MP's gave them a timeline. Anyway, I got the runt. He is 9 weeks old and I got him at 7 weeks. He is full of energy and stubborn as can be. Loves to be loved. He is only appx 8 pounds. I can see his ribs but not too extreme. I can alos see his hip bones. I feed him blue buffalo but he has no interest in eating. He loves liver treats and dog biscuits but does not eat his food. I have to convince him to eat. He has had two de-wormings and Parvo shots. I am a little concerned about his size. BTW his name is Colossus- I hope he can live up to the name! :)

Old 05-31-2009, 05:59 PM

Hi stoneyman,Bo would not eat either,I tried everything,cost me a fortune ,i ended up reading on here about yoghurt,so i bought some vanilla yoghurt ,mixed it with her dry and she ate it and loved it,I slowly took her off it once she was eating good and started mixing it with a premium brand wet food,my main thing was to get her to eat because she was so thin and it really worked

Old 05-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Novice Member

Boe1, we did the vanilla yogurt thing but he just licks the yogurt and doesn't eat his food???