Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Knuckling over?

We are having a puppy shipped to us on tuesday. The breeder just called us and told us he has a problem with his front paw. He said he believes it is knuckling over. He's never seen it before. They put him on enzymes and changed his diet. He said the two options are they will keep him until he is better, or he can still ship him on tuesday. He said we probably will be able to give him more attention than he can. We gave them a deposit before the puppy was even born, he's already 11 weeks we dont want to miss anymore of him being a puppy. Does the breeders diagnosis sound accurate? He says it kind of looks like hes double jointed in that paw. They are trying to keep him from running around and standing on hard surfaces but he said the puppy wants to run and is not showing any signs of pain.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:29 PM

Re: Knuckling over?

John-epperson-male-1-25-09.jpg
Here is a picture

Old 01-25-2009, 06:56 PM

Hi Jepps. Ive seen slight pastern weakness in a couple of pups before and with good vet care, proper excersize and diet the pups turned out fine. But I think, if you havent already gotten the pup that is, take that picture to the vet you intend to use with him and talk to him/her about it. Really! That looks really bad.

I wish you the best of luck with this and please keep me posted and if you consult your vet, let me know what he/she says.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 PM

I saw that in a litter of rotti pups once - It did go away - It was due to a calcium deficency - the pups were being fed Purina puppy food ( their highest one but still crap food) When switched off the food and taken off concrete (they were out in a kennel during the day for a few hours here and there) they were fine. I cannot say for sure thats the same with your pup but get their vet to fax over their medical findings and their opinion. Id be leary.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:38 PM

They were feeding him Eukanuba with Iams in a can and a little multi species milk replacer to soften it. The diagnosis may be true because that is crap food. As long as his diagnosis is correct then I think we will be able to give him better care. I have two small children so I want him with us to be socialized asap. We have to let them know by tomorrow morning 10 am because the airline calls for 24hour notice on cancelled flights. This is not enough time to make a well thought out decision. I think its best to stick with having him shipped. Anyone have any suggestions on food for this condition? The breeder switched him to Eagle pack. I was thinking Blue Buffalo and the enzyme supplement. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Other than the backwards paw How does he look to you guys. Thanks

Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 PM

He looks awesome. I love the dark colours. I feed my male the Blue Buffalo. He loves it and is doing really well on it. For the paw thing I have no idea. But the Blue Buffalo is a decent food.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM

Makle them wait to ship this dog until they are able to either solve the problem or until they provide you with documentation from the vet says why this happened, how to deal with it and that it can indeed be taken care of.
Jemar's V. Anything Goes Little Loki RA, CGC 10-07
Corabella von der Aunkst 09-10

Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
He looks awesome. I love the dark colours. I feed my male the Blue Buffalo.
That pup may be is cute BUT that's it. There is so much more than markings and colours to make a Rottweiler!

To me he look deformed/crippled. No need to use money to ship him, and it is the breeder's responsibility ( NOT YOURS) to "give him attention" and to socialize the pup!

PS: I thought the deposit you paid was for healthy pup????

That pup would never be shipped to me... even the breeder signed and paid the health insurance for the rest of it's life!

Last edited by damp; 01-25-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the replys everyone. I just spoke with the breeder they are guaranteeing that the problem will go away with Eagle Brand and enzymes. We trust them and we want our puppy so we arent delaying the shipping. We will take him to our Vet right away. It doesnt seem very commen with Rottweilers but is with other large breeds like the Great Dane.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:01 PM

I agree with Damp.....ethical breeders who health test to the nines will still tell you that any healthy 8 week old puppy is a 'crap shoot'.....however to take a puppy that has an obvious deformity at that age......I would be worried. I wouldn't be shipping it.

Seems like a fairly large leap for a breeder to initially say that they hadn't seen anything like this problem before to suddenly telling you that they guarantee it will go away with feeding Eagle Pack and enzymes....sounds fishy to me.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:15 PM

The guarantee is that if I feed him the recommended diet and it doesnt go away or hes diagnosed with something more serious they will give us a refund. Their policy normally is normally is a replacement puppy. You guys are right, however already being in the situation, and we already care about the puppy. We have been getting pictures and updates since his birth. We are hoping for the best. Anyone have advise on the actual problem or Eagle brand food. thanks

Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 AM

Wow...I consider myself pretty dumb about breeders and their guarantees, I have a couple good stories and dogs to prove it, but even I would not take this puppy. If you want the pup I would let the breeder take puppy to vet and get a vet opinion and let them fix the problem before they ship it to you. Once you have the puppy it will no longer be their problem. I would be very leary if someone said it will just magically go away with good food.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:36 AM

I can't offer any advice in terms of the knucking over issue......I would ask for a minimum of several digital photos of the leg and consult with your veterinarian prior to ever shipping the puppy to get their thoughts on a diagnosis of what the problem may be and what (if any) corrective action would be needed or if there is a possibility of a dietary change correcting this issue.

My reproductive vet is a golden retriever breeder and one day we had a discussion as to the merits of Eagle Pack Holistic (which she fed) and Orijen which I was feeding....it was interesting hearing her perspectives.....however I guess I may have made a few points too because now she is feeding Orijen to her dogs too!! I think Eagle Pack is probably quite a decent food however.

In terms of shipping the puppy I would still advise caution.....I can FULLY understand that you may have gotten attached to this puppy thru photos....and if all else fails you may get a replacement puppy down the road if his leg doesn't recover.....HOWEVER the one thing that I would be seriously taking into consideration, is your comment that you have young children......What will their response be if they see that their new puppy might be suffering and that IF the leg is non repairable and the puppy is suffering you might be facing the decision to have him put down? Definitely not a situation that I would want to be exposing young children to.

Get your vet's best opinion of the photos, and if the prognosis seems good give the OK to ship him....if not I would pass and await a puppy from the next available litter.

I wish the best for the youngsters leg!!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepps
The guarantee is that if I feed him the recommended diet and it doesnt go away or hes diagnosed with something more serious they will give us a refund....
Quote:
... Anyone have advise...on Eagle brand food....
Moot point, what we think of Eagle brand. Contractually, you have to feed it since the guarantee depends on your feeding the food.

Quote:
...Anyone have advise on the actual problem....
I do.

If you're so bound and determined to get this puppy, you should postpone having the puppy shippped until the problem rectifies itself. Ask the breeder to hold on to the puppy until the leg straightens out. There's no law that says a puppy needs to leave at 8 weeks old. You have nothing to lose by holding off having the puppy shipped to you.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepps View Post
Thanks for the replys everyone. I just spoke with the breeder they are guaranteeing that the problem will go away with Eagle Brand and enzymes. We trust them and we want our puppy so we arent delaying the shipping. We will take him to our Vet right away. It doesnt seem very commen with Rottweilers but is with other large breeds like the Great Dane.
I honestly don't understand why you trust this breeder. The breeder's admitted to feeding a low quality food. The breeder waits to call you about the paw problem until, at most, 48 hours before the puppy's due to be shipped. The breeder forces you into a decision that you, as the buyer, deserved to have more time to make. Last, the breeder's never seen this condition before, but decided to put him on enzymes and change his diet. Now, the breeder's guaranteeing the condition will clear up as long as you feed x brand of food or you get a refund.

How does the breeder know that diet's the cause? Why is the guarantee dependent on feeding x brand only? It sounds like the breeder's looking to get the deformed puppy off their hands and put the responsibility squarely on your shoulders. Good luck. I think you're going to need it.