Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM

Sensitive Stomach

New to forum. Hello everyone

Quick backstory, found my big guy 4 months ago behind my house in the alley. He looked like he had some physical problems (leg shaking) so I immediately took him to my vet who gave him a complete check-up, including X-rays. Clean bill of health. Weeks of posting on various sites on the internet and calling local dog shelters, we never found someone wanting to claim him as his owner. (Incidentally a girl rott, same age was found 2 blocks away the very next day.)

He's a great dog, sure we've had our usual issues with nipping, chewing and general puppy bad behaviour but puppy training classes have sorted some things out, patience and continued training will take care of the rest.

His real problem is his sensitive stomach. From the beginning I've fed him Iams Large Breed Puppy. He's been on 4 different types of antibiotics to kill excess bacteria in his stomach. Due to great advice on this forum I found someone locally who sold Canidae. He's been on this for a week now (fingers crossed).

I also give him benedryl for allergies and I'm wondering if maybe he's even having a reaction to the drug. It's all trial and error right now.

I'm open to any advice and comments on this subject.

Thank you

Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 PM

Re: Sensitive Stomach

Welcome to the forum, thank you so much for taking your little guy in. One less pup at a shelter!!!

Actually, we have the same problem with our chow mix Samson. My rottie, Beau, has a stomach of steel, but if anything gets off-kilter in Samson's diet, it's diarrhea city. The link I'm pasting below is a thread I actually just wrote a week ago. Hopefully, it can shed some insight into your boy's problem!!! I think Samson's problem boiled down to Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My advice is to rule out other medical issues with fecal testing and a complete panel of bloodwork. If nothing shows up, he may just be sensitive!! Remember, if you are feeding Canidae ALS, it has multiple protein sources and your boy may be allergic to one of them. If you have him on a ALS for a bit and his issues don't clear up, maybe try switching to a single protein source to start ruling out the offender (i.e. - lamb and rice or chicken and rice). Good luck!!

Here is the link:

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/chi...e-stomach.html

Old 06-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Thank you.

Your link is extremely helpful. Many of the stories are exactly like ours.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 PM

Hi,

When you say he has a sensitive stomach, do you mean he vomits or has loose stools or soft stools?

If he is getting loose stools or vomitting it may be a food allergy and you might want to try a Lamb meat only dry food.

After a week on Canidae how is he doing? I had my puppy on it for about 6 weeks and her stool was pretty soft/grainy. I recently switched to Orijen LBP and her stool has been small & hard :)

Old 06-18-2008, 01:57 AM

Hi,

Thankfully this problem has never made him vomit.

When he goes to the bathroom it is usually in three different spots in the garden, first is good, then soft, then completely diarrhetic. As well as changing his food to Canidae the vet has him on 1 packet of FortiFlora a day to see if this firms things up. So far, he's doing better.

When I'm training him I use Nutro's Natural Choice crunchy treats that are wheat free, no corn and made with whole grains. I think his problem with these is he doesn't seem to fully digest carrots.

It's all a guessing game right now and lots of trial and error.

You couldn't tell by his energy level that he has stomach issues, still has his usual daily wild hairs, wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Novice Member

Hello,
Having the same problem with my 1yr rottie.
When he goes to the bathroom it is usually in three different spots in the garden, first is good, then soft, then completely diarrhetic.
He is on Orijen fish now.
Did you find something that works for your dog?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advisor View Post
Hello,
When he goes to the bathroom it is usually in three different spots in the garden, first is good, then soft, then completely diarrhetic.
How much are you feeding him per day? How much does he weigh?

How long has he been on the Orijen fish?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Sensitive Stomach

Quote:
Hello,
You may be overfeeding him. The first sign of overfeeding is frequent and loose stools. Orijen is high in calories and you really don't need to be feeding much.
He may only need 2-3 cups per day in total. Try cutting back by 1/4- 1/2 cup at each meal and see what happens.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Novice Member

He's about 60lb.
I was feeding 4-4.5cups/day.
Gradualy reduced to 3cups.
Will see

Old 11-05-2008, 02:33 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Sensitive Stomach

Quote:
He's about 60lb.
Will see
You are feeding too much food. Try feeding 1 1/2 cups per meal, and take it from there. I'm feeding a 130 lbs Bullmastiff and 118 lbs Rottweiler Orijen and they are eating 2 cups each in total per day..along with a few tablespoons of canned in one meal, and a tablespoon of yogurt with another. Nice firm poop, twice per day.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 11-05-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
He's about 60lb.
Will see
Yeah, you were WAY over feeding =/

My girls 9 months and weighs 80 pounds, she gets 3.5 cups per day. I had the same problem when I was using the "feeding guidelines" off the packages.

She would have constant loose stools... then I found this place which informed me of the ill advise from the manufacturer.

Don't forget to also factor in treats and such, they add to his calorie intake!

99% sure reducing him to 3 cups per day will fix it!

good luck!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish's Mom View Post
New to forum. Hello everyone

Quick backstory, found my big guy 4 months ago behind my house in the alley. He looked like he had some physical problems (leg shaking) so I immediately took him to my vet who gave him a complete check-up, including X-rays. Clean bill of health. Weeks of posting on various sites on the internet and calling local dog shelters, we never found someone wanting to claim him as his owner. (Incidentally a girl rott, same age was found 2 blocks away the very next day.)

He's a great dog, sure we've had our usual issues with nipping, chewing and general puppy bad behaviour but puppy training classes have sorted some things out, patience and continued training will take care of the rest.

His real problem is his sensitive stomach. From the beginning I've fed him Iams Large Breed Puppy. He's been on 4 different types of antibiotics to kill excess bacteria in his stomach. Due to great advice on this forum I found someone locally who sold Canidae. He's been on this for a week now (fingers crossed).

I also give him benedryl for allergies and I'm wondering if maybe he's even having a reaction to the drug. It's all trial and error right now.

I'm open to any advice and comments on this subject.

Thank you
Our last rottie had a sensitive stomach and now i think he also had allergeys too. We battled it for his whole life. We lost him to cancer last march. This time around I have done tons of looking into dog food . I fell on to a site called the great dane lady.com and have learned so much. We feed our 6 mo old egal pack holistic d.f. and follow her blackwatch food program. We use additives from first choice naturals.con that she suggests. and knock on wood our guy is doing great. No problems at all. Their is a lot of reading and information at that site and with the rotties weak immune systems I wanted todo the best for him I could. I wish I had done more resurch with my last dog.The additives last a long time so not so expensive at all and i order from dog food direct it comes in 4 days . a 33 lb bg is around 52.oo Not much different then the pet store brand and much better. My whole family now uses these things and my daughtes dog has had alot of problems since birth and is doing much better. Best of luck. Beth and Deacon