Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Talking My rottweiler and Pitbull.

Okay i have just bought a rottweiler and pitbull on the same day a few weeks ago. they are both 14 weeks old. My rott is a girl and my pit is a boy. So far they seem to get along and behavioral wise my rott seems more domonant than the pit. Will this sooner or later turn into a problem? I give them seperate training sessions. When I'm training one dog i put the other in the crate for those ten minutes or so. But; I do walk them together and i make sure that i spend time with them both equaly. When they grow up will they still get along? Right now my rottweiler [tatiana] doesn't like when my pit [hurley] walks by her when shes eating and she will snap at him. Sometimes tatiana will play with him. She does like being left alone some days. Do you guys think that they will get along? I do not want to live the next years seperating them. So far for the most part they get along wonderfully. Tatiana does show food agressiong while Hurley doesn't. I do have another question about training; how do you teach the release command so they have to wait before they eat? Also how do you teach a dog to drop it? I feel these commands will come in handy with food and toy agression later on if it does seem to be like that. They do get along for the most part. They are both well behaved and i give them 2 10min. training sessions a day and take them for a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood everyday and sometimes play fetch. Please answer my few questions and be easy on me, i did alot of research but i am still new at this stuff.

Thanks;
Dezaree

Old 03-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Valued Member

Re: My rottweiler and Pitbull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilasmamix3
Okay i have just bought a rottweiler and pitbull on the same day a few weeks ago....be easy on me, i did alot of research but i am still new at this stuff.
Sorry, but you didn't do enough research.

If you had you would KNOW it's most unwise to get two puppies at the same time, regardless of breed.

If you had you would have KNOWN that no responsible, COE breeder would ever sell a puppy to someone who already had a puppy at home. Both your Rottie and Pitt are from BYBs.

Furthermore, you would know KNOWN that many insurance companies take a dim view of their clients owning certain breeds. If you own your own home, did you check to see that your insurance company doesn't have a problem with you owning two breeds that top the list of banned breeds?

My advice is to see if either the Pitt or Rottie breeder will take his or her dog back. You'd be much much wiser to concentrate on doing a good, solid job with one of the dogs, making that dog into a dependable well mannered canine citizen. With two young puppies you have a mountain of work ahead of you.

If you insist on keeping both puppies, read everything in Puppy Development.

And--very very important--get both your puppies and yourself into obed classes. And, be prepared to stay in class for a couple of years.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:21 PM

My puppies are already signed up for classes. My rottweiler is from a COE breeder. I got her first. My pit; is from my friend that is a breeder and no one else would take in the pup so i took the pup into my home. Yes I do own my house; and yes, my insurance company covers both my dogs. I am up for the challenge of owning 2 puppies because i have some help and i do not live alone trying to do this. I researched for a while now. I know that you are not supposed to have two puppies at once but i felt bad for the little guy alone because my friend did not want him and was going to put him into a rescue. I told her she is verry irresponisible for breeding if she wasnt up for keeping the pups that no one wanted yes she is a BYB and i did tell her to stop breeding. I wasn't going to let her just get rid of the Pitt so i took him in. To assure you they are signed up for classes.

Dezaree

Old 03-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Valued Member

There's nothing wrong with signing over ownership of a dog or puppy to rescue.

I should know.

For 10 years I've been active with Rottie rescue by fostering, evaluating dogs for inclusion in our program, transporting dogs, processing applications, and the like. Bona fide rescue groups run tight ships and a dog lucky enough to get him- or herself into such a group is set for life.

I understand your feeling bad for the Pitt puppy, but letting one's heart overrule one's head often does no good for anyone in the final analysis.

You have a mountain of work ahead of you. You will have to work very hard to be sure the center of focus and attention for both puppies is you and other humans.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:14 PM

I'm not even sure if she was going to send him to a rescue. Knowing her she would probably drop him off at a strangers house and you never know he might get abused or neglected I don't want a dog living like that. Yes I know theres nothing wrong with a rescue but i honestly don't trust my friend. I know that it's going to be a mountain of work. I've raised 2 boxer x pits before and i did it. They were my moms dogs. I made sure to treat them both equally. I've also rescued a rottweiler before but she had a unstable tempermant and would growl and bite anyone that came into the yard family or not. We had to put her down... I've been with dogs my whole life and most of the time i've had to dogs. So i'm used to it. I am rethinking about rehoming the Pitt to my friends house. She says she won't mind taking him in. But i'm already so attached to the pup but i know that i gotta do what's best for him.. I can't be self-ish.

Dezaree

Old 03-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I understand your feeling bad for the Pitt puppy, but letting one's heart overrule one's head often does no good for anyone in the final analysis.
This includes both your dogs too. I agree with Angel Bunny it would be best for all (including the pups) to place one with a rescue for adoption to a home that can better care for them. Since they are pups and likely don't have issues at this stage they will be easier to place.

At the very least feed them separately so they don't scuffle over food, treats, etc. I do have my dogs wait before eating, however I didn't teach them to do so with their dinner (too high of a distraction). I taught them on leash first. While walking I would turn in front of them say their name and the command wait. This turn blocked their forward movement. For our wait moving backwards, side to side is acceptable, proceeding forward is not. I would immediately praise and immediately touch their chin and say okay. As they started to understand this command I would back up a few steps and make them wait longer. It was not until I could circle around behind them in a wait that I applied this command during meal times. I think however, your pups are far to young to teach this and apply for food. I might be wrong though since I do not have puppy raising experience. For the pup that you think is food aggressive feed in a separate area and most likely by hand.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM

I'm probably going to let my Pitt stay with my friend. I'm going to miss him because I got so attached in the past 6 weeks. He's been learning so fast...

Dezaree

Old 03-30-2008, 06:22 PM

I'm really not sure what to do... I guess what's best for the pup?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilasmamix3
I'm really not sure what to do... I guess what's best for the pup?
You absoluely must do what's best for each of the puppies.

I've had Rotties as my only breed of dog since 1984. I know alot about the breed. I'm interested in training and showing. We've active in rescue.

There is no way--absolutely no way--I'd take on the Herculean task of raising two puppies at once. The amount of work, time, effort, and expense of successfully raising one puppy into a good canine citizen is huge. Since your puppies are so young you're going to have to walk, train, and socialize them independently of each other. Sure, you can take both for a walk now and again, but this isn't something you should do often. If you don't take them out one at a time, if you don't separate them, they will bond more closely with each other than with humans.

You said your Rottie puppy came from a COE breeder. Have you alerted him or her that you have another puppy? If you did, what was the breeder's reaction?

If you have a responsible friend who will take appropriate care of the Pitt puppy, give that puppy his full opportunity. It's almost certain you will end up shortchanging both the Rottie and the Pitt due to the simple fact there are only so many hours in the day.

I am sure you love the Pitt puppy--I don't see how it could be otherwise for you.

However, this isn't about you. It's about what's best for both puppies.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Novice Member

lol I cant believe the host deleted my message..as I had said I hope you dont give away the puppy just because of what some random people said on a forum...keep it, it can be done, you know it and I have seen it happen, its no big deal! i mean it takes work but youre not afraid of that.. Let me know what you did.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:25 PM

Madbhwoyy; I didn't delete your message if you ment me.. And I didn't give up the puppy. I have raised to dogs before and I am willing to do this. It's really hard but i know i can do it. I know it's not about me; but the progress of the puppies together is so good. They get along great; they know that when ones training to stay away and wait till it's there turn. They are learning so well and I won't give one up untill i can't handle it anymore. But i'm pretty sure my family will help me with money problems if i come across any

And yes; I did contact my breeder and she told me about how much work it's going to be, how i'm going to have to spend time with both the dogs, take care of them equally, make sure that they are getting well trained, mostly saying it was a arm and a leg. But i did tell her i was up for the challenge. I'm ready..

Right now this very moment the pups are playing.. So adorable!! Soon i'm going to have to let them out and let them run in the yard together supervised of course. [I have a fenced in yard] I don't let them spend that much time playing and stuff with each other because i don't want them together all day long when they are grown and not paying any mind to humans. I'm trying... successfull the last 7 weeks.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Novice Member

Lightbulb Re: My rottweiler and Pitbull.

Glad to hear. I think I may have somewhat of a similiar problem though, I got a puppy when I already had an older dog, and I notice a change in behaviour of the dog since, lots of flight instinct, disobedience etc. I think I may have to separate them, and spend more time working with them individually. All the best with your dogs though.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM

Thank you. They've been together since day one since i had got them the same day! Lol. I find them funny. I don't seperate them; but they just seem to not want to play unless they are outside. Inside, they just lay on there matts and sometimes there couch and sleep. Then for obedience training i call one in and the other one knows to stay put and wait till i call him/her, how old is your older dog??

Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBHWOYY
...as I had said I hope you dont give away the puppy just because of what some random people said on a forum...keep it, it can be done, you know it and I have seen it happen, its no big deal! i mean it takes work but youre not afraid of that..
One could argue that you're a more random person here at RDN than I am. After all, you're a novice member and I am not.

Why is your advice--to keep the puppy--more valuable than my advice? Why should he or she listen to/heed your advice but not mine? What experience do you have that makes you qualified to offer the advice you're offering?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Angelbunny. I know you've been here for 9 years. But i'm going to keep the puppy untill i cannot keep going, my bestfriend is willing to take in the puppy if i cant handle it. I'm going to have him for 1 more week and see if it works out. I'm listening to both your advice equally..

Dezaree