Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 PM

blue eyes

Hi, great forum. I am happy to say that I am the proud new owner of a Rottweiler puppy, as of this past Saturday. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow, but have a few questions now for other rottie owners.
Yes, he has blue eyes. He is about 55 days old, young I know, but let me say, I am in the Middle East, United Arab Emirates, this is how I got him, and I love him , no matter what. He is not going to be bred, nor will he be a working dog. I got him for companionship, and home protection. Blue eyes don't matter to me, I am just curious if this is because of his age or, there could be the possibility of inbreeding. It is possible, as there are few dogs here, much less Rottweilers.
Also, his "breeder" had him on Similac, baby formula. 150 ml a day. is that right?? Never heard of that. But I never heard of a lot of things in this world.
He seems happy and healthy, adjusted well to his new home so far. Just curious about his eyes. thanks for the help. Mb

Old 04-03-2007, 02:04 AM

Re: blue eyes

The only thing I know in reference to blue eyes is that sometimes they can hint at the possibility of defective genes being present.

All dogs at some point have been selectively inbred (line breeding). However, this method of breeding does breed relatives but usually the most distantly related (cousin+4th cousin, etc). Without this method, the breeds of dogs you have come to know and love wouldn't exist.

Inbreeding in a "bad" sense involves breeding closely related relatives (brother+sister, mother+son, etc). This method of breeding strengthens the expression of genes too much. If there are defective genes present that are normally recessive, chances are that within a few generations of close inbreeding, these defective genes could become dominant (since one gene would be repeated more often than another in subsequent generations).

It is possible to breed for blue eyes through line breeding, but would take a very long time, since brown eyes are by far more dominant. With inbreeding, if a pup is born with blue eyes and bred back to the mother, chances are that more pups will have blue eyes. These pups are then bred back to the pup with blue eyes and the gene for blue eye color is repeated and thus expressed more. Eventually you would have a litter that has a few blue-eyed pups. At the same time, any other gene within that group of related animals would be expressed strongly too, particularly unwanted genes --- like a defect that causes blindness or deafness. These pups are then bred back in an attempt to get the blue eyes, but at the same time the defective genes that cause blindness or deafness are being expressed more frequently too. Eventually you'd end up with a dog with blue eyes and possibly deaf or blind --- or a perfectly healthy dog with blue eyes that has a high probability of producing deaf or blind pups.

It's good that you aren't breeding this dog. Keep an eye on him, since he could become sick later on due to a genetic disposition. Enjoy his uniqueness but realize that blue-eyed dogs are rare for a very good reason.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:27 AM

Yes, that is my suspicion as far as the inbreeding goes. I don't think they bred him for a blue eye purpose, just came out that way. Like I said not many dogs here inn UAE, much less Rotties.
Should they have changed color by now, as far as his age? They are not bright blue, but darkish, thats why I am wondering if they will change with age. Not cloudy either, just not brown. It doesn't matter to me, he's lively, eats well, sleeps, and seems to "try" to stay on the paper as far as wetting and such. But it is very early yet to make any hard diagnosis about his personality.
Thanks for your input, you know a lot about this subject. I am anxious to take him for his shots tomorrow, will have many questions for the vet.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Ancient Valued Member

Blue eyes in a pup that age usually just mean his eyes will be light in color (light brown or lighter) but not blue, when he grows up
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the info. This forum already has been a wealth of info, and we've only had him for 3 days. Any and all information is welcome.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: blue eyes

The pup is old enough to be eating a good quality puppy food.
He does not need Similac (that is a human baby forumula)...and humans and dogs need different things nutritionally.

This pup is 8 weeks old...old enough to be in your home.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 PM

He is in my home. Sitting quietly (for now) on the floor next to me.
Yes, I thought the same about the Similac, never heard of dogs having it. Will stop as of tomorrow. He doesn't need it. He eats puppy food 3 times a day, very well.