Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 11:28 PM

Best Age for Shipping Puppy?

I'm just curious for those of you who have ever had to fly a puppy to a new home - what is the best time to do this? I know with the fear period in the puppy development from 8-10 weeks it should probably be avioded then, but would you ship just before that time, or just after?
I realize that ideally a puppy wouldn't be shipped....but sometimes there is no other option I guess.

We are looking at getting a new puppy, and if we went with our breeder of choice we would have to ship the puppy home. I think this breeder is wonderful, and have more confidence with her dogs than others close by, but would it be too traumatizing to ship the puppy? I don't want to traumatize our new addition, but I also would prefer to deal with the breeder I'm most comfotable with.
I would fly out there to meet the puppies/breeder, and be on the plane with the puppy coming home, but I think it would be too big to be under my seat and would have to go in cargo.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:40 PM

Re: Best Age for Shipping Puppy?

regarding age, at bare minimum in most states and airlines, 8 weeks of age.
find out about in the plane...i believe some airlines can transport inside with you if under 20lbs. my coworkers boston is 21 lbs and has flown in cabin with him. worth a try.
i personally prefer drive the puppy.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 AM

I'd very much recommend that you consider flying to get your new puppy and flying home with him/her in the cabin of the plane. You'll need to make a reservation for both you and an in-cabin pet, and get an approved soft-sided carrier, but other than that it's a pretty easy process. The other good thing is that you'll get to meet the breeder in person, and hopefully puppies mom as well!

Many breeders that I know won't ship a puppy, instead the new owner flies in to meet puppy, mom etc and flies back home with the puppy in the cabin. This is what I ask as well (I've had 4 pups fly happily home that way), and it really isn't much different price-wise from shipping a dog (and much less nerve-racking).
Roca CD RE HSAs AXP AJP CS VX
HC HTCH Beck CD RE HXAsd HXBs AXP BH CI VX
Brev CD RE HSAs AX AXJ CI V

Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 AM

Check with your airline! When I flew to get a pup, the pup did not get a pre seat. It is first come first on! I had to pay for the pups ticket that day! If someone else had a carry-on pup I would have been out of luck! The weight thing is not that important. The pup and bag have to checked out. They want the pup not to be STUFFED in the Sherpie bag.
Oh I could only afford to fly coach...1st class might be different

Last edited by marianne; 02-13-2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: forgot some info