Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 01:04 AM

Puppy drinks A LOT of water

yet another question...my puppy drinks A Lot of water all the time, he seems to always be thirsty and peeing. I am constantly filling up the water bowl, I notice this because Lola my female barely drinks much at all, I would maybe fill the bowl up twice a day before puppy came. The first thing Baron does when he comes out of his crate is drink at least half the bowl, then go outside to pee and drink some more, then pee and so on, I think I will call and ask the vet on monday I was just wondering if this is normal. Other than the excessive water drinking he is very playful with a good appetite, he gained 8lbs in 2 weeks! Sometimes I pick the water up, he peed 5 times in one hour even for a baby that seemed like a lot to me, any suggestions or advice? Could there be an underlying medical problem?

Old 09-30-2006, 01:34 AM

Re: Puppy drinks A LOT of water

how old is the puppy?
usually, they can hold pee by how many months they are.
example: 2 months- 2 hours, 3 months- 3 hours.
if very active, they drink more-pee more.above is just an average.
is it hot? eats dry food? very active? that can make them drink more.
in some rare occasions, some can be born with kidney problems, but you would need blood work to check that.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 09-30-2006, 01:43 AM

He is 11 weeks, it has been cooling off here 60's and 70's so its not too hot, he drinks a lot first think out of the crate in the morning and after his naptimes so its not always because of excersise, when he does run and play I havent noticed too much panting, my female pants a lot and doesnt drink, this one drinks and doesnt pant.I am just hoping this isnt a medical problem I searched long and hard for a reputable breeder with a nice pedigree. Thanks for your reply. I know the first thing I need to do is stop comparing the 2 they are polar opposites

Old 09-30-2006, 01:53 AM

also, if you have the pup without water in the crate, when it comes out, it will drink alot. maybe you might want to put a bucket in the crate, make sure puppy has no collar on, and see if that helps.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 09-30-2006, 08:25 AM

Please keep us up on your puppy's progress and if you have him checked by a vet. I don't want to alarm you but if he is drinking a LOT of water at one time and peeing that often it can be a problem with his kidneys. Does he hold the urine while he's crated?

Old 09-30-2006, 03:17 PM

Post Re: Puppy drinks A LOT of water

Many pups LOVE to drink!! It's a common problem, I've seen it many times in Labs and Golden pups. There was nothing physically wrong with them...they just love to drink and they often would drink, just for drinking sake.

Of course if they drink...they have to pee.

Try getting you pup to drink small amounts more frequently...when he's had been allowed a good amount of water...call him away...and get his attention on something else. Don't fill the bowl up to the top....keep it a third full or so, so he understands that he can go for a drink without emptying the bowl.

He will probably grow out of it.

If you are concerned, talk to your vet.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 10-01-2006, 12:50 AM

Thanks for all your replys, he does hold his pee in his crate, so I know he can, he sleeps throught the night from 11p to 7a and never messes his crate, he is never left for more than 3 or 4 hours and has never had an accident in his crate then either.

Brunies mom, I think you maybe right he is probably drinking just to drink, he seems otherwise healthy and I have been calling him away and he seems content to play and forget about the water.

I am going to call the vet on monday just to ask but I am sure i am just being paranoid.

Thanks again you guys are all great!

Old 10-01-2006, 12:59 AM

Mine stands in the water bowls and splashes the water all over the floor with her front paws, and then rolls in the water just before the zoomies set in

Old 10-01-2006, 07:05 AM

If he can hold his urine for that long I'm sure he's fine. Some dogs do drink a LOT more water than others. Hummm people too for that matter. One rule is never withhold water from a dog with kidney problems.