Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 PM

Will feeding premium puppy foods cause pup to grow too fast?

Help guys!
My son's new pup gets picked up Friday. I bought a small bag of what the breeder was feeding (Nutro large breed puppy) but recommended to my son that he ween her off of that onto a more premium food...I had looked in the stores and liked Wellness puppy...I believe Innova also has a puppy food. But my question is....will those more premium puppy foods be too "rich" for the pup and cause too rapid growth?? When we had our last pup (many years ago) the vet recommended not even using a puppy food but rather feed the adult version. Any thoughts/suggestions??? Many thanks for suggestions.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:07 PM

Re: Will feeding premium puppy foods cause pup to grow too fast?

No they will not. I think the Wellness is an excellent food, and the Innova Puppy is also good. They are foods that I typically recommend to my owners. The other thing you could ask for that's not quite as expensive is Healthwise Puppy. It's made by Natura (who makes Innova) and anyone who carries the Innova will be able to get it for you.

The biggest key is simply watching the intake levels of the pup and keeping the weight down.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Re: Will feeding premium puppy foods cause pup to grow too fast?

I had Denver on Innova puppy from 12 weeks till about 5 months( maybe a little sooner or later)...then I switched to innova adult.
The one thing that I do know is that he never was overweight.
Right now he is 99 pounds at 14 months....and he's a little taller than he should be(caused by genetics, not food)
Also there is no need for large breed dog food. It's more of a gimmick.
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]George Bernard Shaw[/FONT]
[/FONT]