Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 06:19 AM

Female Rottweiler, good with children?

I have a female rottie. Are female or males better w/children?

Old 03-17-2006, 07:03 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

Re: Female Rottweiler

A well socialized rottweiler is the best with children.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:06 AM

well bred/socialized rotty and individual temperament is more important than sex.i have had both with kids, and i have not had a problem...but as we had stated before, never leave young kids unattended with ANY breed of dog.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 03-17-2006, 08:13 AM

Also, NO large dog of ANY breed should ever be left unattended with young children. Many dogs are good, but in the end, the are DOGS, not people. It takes a split second for a small action to cause a nasty re-action (intended or not).

Unattended means you are not RIGHT there. Not "in the next room," or "down the hall" or "just ran to the bathroom to pee" or sitting on the couch 3 ft away. RIGHT there.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:42 AM

Re: Female Rottweiler, good with children?

The easiest way to have a rottie and a child is to tether the rottie to you. That way, you ALWAYS know where the dog is. Especially once your child becomes mobile.

Gates are also a way of life with this situation. But, even with gates, utilize rule number 1.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:04 AM

I have children and I strongly agree with all of the above! 110% supervision at all times!

Old 03-17-2006, 10:32 AM

Okay, I have a concern. I bought the rottie for protection. Especially since my daughter will be staying at home by herself next year. I thought it would be safer if we had the dog and to put her in the house until she gets home. Are you saying that you wouldn't advise this? We were thinking that the dog is in the house when she returns from school and she'll let her out for the bathroom and bring her back in until we return from work.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:34 AM

I have 5 kids and 2 Rottweilers ( male and female). I also agree with all of the above. Never leave your dogs unattended with kids! Also Training is a must! Now if you want to know if there is a difference between a male and female and how they are with kids and family and just general behaviour I'd have to say that also depends on the indivdual dog, training, and breeding. I know many people who swear females are more clam and gentle and many who say the same for the males. But once again it's all about the breeding, the dogs temperment and being a responsible owner. No matter how much you love and trust your dog or how well trained he/she is it's still a animal. My preference is male only because I have only ever owned 1 female, she seems a bit more moody then my male. Dont let the sex decide for you meet the pup/ dog and judge by temperment and the breeder. Good luck.,

Old 03-17-2006, 11:00 AM

How old is your daughter? If she is going to be home after school by herself, then she is probably 12-13, right? At that age she knows better then to get in the dogs face, but at the same time, she needs to learn respect for the dogs space. I leave my daughter at home by herself at times with my rottie. My daughter is 13 and she has been taught respect for dogs and all animals. But I would not leave any small child alone with any dog and I believe that is what is meant here.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeovixxen
How old is your daughter? If she is going to be home after school by herself, then she is probably 12-13, right? At that age she knows better then to get in the dogs face, but at the same time, she needs to learn respect for the dogs space. I leave my daughter at home by herself at times with my rottie. My daughter is 13 and she has been taught respect for dogs and all animals. But I would not leave any small child alone with any dog and I believe that is what is meant here.
I agree, and that is why I specified "younger" children. 12-13 is probably the absolute MINIMUM, and that would really depend on the individual child, and dog. There are some adults I'd not leave alone with any one of my dogs, and some of my dogs are better with children than others (they will all just get up and leave, but one will put up with about anything).

Children don't have the physical strength to walk an adult Rottweiler. If the dog were to see something and decide to give chase, the child is physically unable to stop the chase. It's a matter of both weight and strength.

What happens if friends come over and the dog decides it does not like the friends?

Most children have high pitched voices and very little physical presence. They cannot command respect. Think of a 5yr old, or even an 8yr old, hands-on-hips, mad at you. Are they REALLY that threatening? Are you truly intimidated by them?? OF course not, and neither is your dog.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRott
I agree, and that is why I specified "younger" children. 12-13 is probably the absolute MINIMUM, and that would really depend on the individual child, and dog. There are some adults I'd not leave alone with any one of my dogs, and some of my dogs are better with children than others (they will all just get up and leave, but one will put up with about anything).

Children don't have the physical strength to walk an adult Rottweiler. If the dog were to see something and decide to give chase, the child is physically unable to stop the chase. It's a matter of both weight and strength.

What happens if friends come over and the dog decides it does not like the friends?

Most children have high pitched voices and very little physical presence. They cannot command respect. Think of a 5yr old, or even an 8yr old, hands-on-hips, mad at you. Are they REALLY that threatening? Are you truly intimidated by them?? OF course not, and neither is your dog.
My oldest daughter will be 12 and our rottie's name is Zoey. The girls love her but I have taught them to give her space. If she goes in the crate, they are not allowed to bother her. I've taught them that it's her space and believe it or not, when she doesn't want to be bothered, she goes there. Getting her to go there for the night is another story all together. This is my first time owning a rottie and really raising a puppy. I grew up w/dogs but parents did all the work. I had no idea that it was this difficult and this frustrating. I feel really bad when I get frustrated w/Zoey. She's just like a baby. My girls are 6 and 11, soon to be 7 and 12. I wouldn't dare let my daughter walk her, I meant let her out in the yard, fenced yard. We have a fenced in yard.

Zoey also loves to stay under your feet. That can be very irritating at times but she's a puppy. She's very very clingy and it's truly like having another child. I'm going to enroll her in puppy classes next week, she really needs it.

Tired but love her dearly. I feel really bad when I have thoughts of getting rid of her because it's too much work but when I talk about her, I can't stop.

It's true, they're just like children. THey make you so mad at times that you're ready to get rid of them but you can't imagine your life w/out them (child and dog).

Old 03-17-2006, 02:08 PM
One of the Old Folks

I agree with the other's....it really makes no difference in the sex of the dog. Breeding, temperment and training make a difference.

Puppy classes are a great idea. Life will get easier the more training you do with her. I would also suggest to keep her in classes for the next couple of years. Rottweilers love training and they enjoy learning. My pup...who will be 2 years old next week, will be starting his 4th set of training classes next month...and then we will be trying Beginners Agility. Not sure who needs the challenge more??? me or him..LOL

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 03-17-2006, 03:07 PM

Thanks! Reading all of these stories will scare the heck out of a person.

I'm going to put her in classes and take it from there. I will keep an open mind and at the same time keep a close eye on the kids w/Zoey, the new kid.

Thanks for all your help!