Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 08:02 AM

Raising Two Puppies Together - Good idea?

I just noticed a post in which a fellow member has one young pup, and is adding a 2nd pup from the same litter.

I would like to caution against doing this, unless one is a VERY experienced dog person. Most experienced dog people will not rear 2 at once... because they know how difficult it is.

It's difficult enough to rear one pup at a time, and when 2 are thrown into the mix, it's more than twice as difficult to do the job well.

FALACY: puppies need another pup to play with

What a pup really needs, is a whole lot of one on one time with it's new human family.

The age of 7-10 weeks, is particularly crucial in helping a young pup ease into it's new human world.

It's so very easy to allow pups to simply play together and raise each other - and my goodness, they are so cute doing it!

Why is this a bad thing, you might ask?
It's a bad thing, because the puppiess are more likely to bond with each other, than with their human part of the pack - making training, and general living with the dogs much more difficult than it needs to be.

They feed off of each other for confidence, rather than building their own confidence levels up. (This is a very key item to note!!!)

They will choose the pup over the human in 99% of cases, which causes frustration for the human, and occasionally danger for the dogs.

A case in point:

Recently, at the training facility, we had 2 weimeraner brothers brought to us. They were approximately 11 months old. We had to separate them in order to get them trained. It took over 3 weeks for the dogs to come to their senses (they were SO bonded to each other, it was rather sad, and maddening at the same time), and even then, one of them was clearly 'dog bonded' and was a real bear to train.

Rearing two pups at the same time really handicaps them mentally for the human world they are living in.

Please, Please, PLEASE.... when you get a pup - enjoy rearing THAT pup until it's mature, and then - if you feel like having a 2nd dog in the house, get a pup then.

Not only is this easier on you, but staggered ages are also good for our psyche - when one staggers ages, there are experienced dogs that the pup can learn from, and, even better.... and, you don't end up sending them to the bridge at the same time, leaving a completely empty void in your heart.

If you feel you MUST rear 2 pups at once... limit their time together each day... crate separately, feed separately, play with separately, socialize separately, train separately.... do you see how time consuming this really is if one rears the pups correctly????

IMHO, any breeder who allows two pups to go to the same home is not an ethical breeder in my book. They simply want to rid themselves of the puppies.

My 2 cents.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:09 AM

Re: Raising Two Puppies Together - Good idea?

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to put it out here.

Occasionally some of us get bit by the puppy bug soon after amnesia has set in. My husband has it BAD! So at what age should the first dog be before another is added? I actually consider my training goals first before age, but those two pretty much go together. I was given good advice from RDN to have the first dog fully trained before adding another.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Novice Member

Excellent post ! This happens too many times and then everyone loses out...humans and the puppies. It will take ALL of your time and energy to raise one puppy properly...if you do it right.

I don't think anyone should add a puppy, until their present dog is fully mature and fully trained.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:02 AM

Thanks Pooh, for “cutting this out in cardboard” so well.

This thread deserves a “sticky”!

Old 12-03-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsasFamily
Great post. Thanks for taking the time to put it out here.

Occasionally some of us get bit by the puppy bug soon after amnesia has set in. My husband has it BAD! So at what age should the first dog be before another is added? I actually consider my training goals first before age, but those two pretty much go together. I was given good advice from RDN to have the first dog fully trained before adding another.
For the average pet owner, who doesn't compete, and simply wants to have a nice life, with well behaved dogs, I think it's wise to get through a few obedience classes with the first dog, and have them flying on virtual auto pilot before the next pup is added to the mix.

When does this happen? I believe that all depends upon the true interest the people have in maintaining a sane household. How diligent are they about understanding the dog they have? How diligent are they about training their present companion? Remember, two dogs will always take more out of your own personal time, if you're going to give them all the advantages of one on one time that each dog deserves.

Could be a year, could be three years, possibly five... for some, it is never. Many very intelligent and experienced dog folk only take on one dog at a time, and I respect that very much - their dogs are perhaps the luckiest of all, because all the time and effort goes into one dog.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.