Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 12:04 PM

Talking Not gaining weight

Hello All,

I have a 7 month old bitch named "Coco" and since for the last month or so she has remained at 60 lb, after gaining about 10 lb per month for the first 6 months. Her activity has remained the same, no change in diet. Her sire & dam were not epecially large (in the 90 lb ballpark). All shots are up to date, she is spayed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-17-2005, 12:23 PM

she probably has just come to a plateau.... If she is eating properly, and no signs of illness anyways. Has she ever been checked for parasites, that could be another reason... But I still think it may be number 1

Taz 1/10-7/10 RIP Never had a chance :(
Roxy a rescued rott RIP Oct 27, 09
Mercy Rescued pup RIP May 19th 2011

Old 05-17-2005, 12:31 PM

Our guy leveled off at 7 months and started gaining weight MUCH more slowly. He was at 10 lbs a month as well. And then he went 2 months with NO gain. And now he is going up 4-5 lbs.

Are her stools fine? If so I wouldn't worry to much (unlike me, I worried a TON!)

Old 05-17-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmeadq
Our guy leveled off at 7 months and started gaining weight MUCH more slowly. He was at 10 lbs a month as well. And then he went 2 months with NO gain. And now he is going up 4-5 lbs.

Are her stools fine? If so I wouldn't worry to much (unlike me, I worried a TON!)

No problem at all with stools, parasites, etc... she did however just doesn't look forward to eating as much as as she used to. I am thinking she will gain some more weight during the summer (with the extreme heat) and her not being as active. Thanks for the feedback and reassurance.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Vintage Valued Member

I dug thru old records, and Sable hit a plateau shortly before she was a year old. It lasted 3-4 months. After she was a year she went from 78 lbs to 90 in the next 4-6 months. Which ended up her final adult weight.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABELLESMOM
I dug thru old records, and Sable hit a plateau shortly before she was a year old. It lasted 3-4 months. After she was a year she went from 78 lbs to 90 in the next 4-6 months. Which ended up her final adult weight.

Thanks the info/reference it is much appreciated. But a plateau at 58 lbs is like having a (smallish) puppy at 9, 10 and 11 months I must admit a part of me is starting to wonder if the vets scale is in need of calibration, because she sure feels heavy when steps on my bare feet :-) She is in fine shape though built like a tank w/ clearly defined muscle tone. I am in no rush I suppose just wanting to make sure all is well.

thanks again

Old 05-18-2005, 08:58 AM

I'd be willing to bet she's just going to be a smaller girlie. Vikka is currently around 84 lbs (and I'm trying to get 3 off of her), but for awhile, hovered around the 65-68lb mark. She's a well built bitch with good bone for her size, but she's definitely at the lower end of the standard. It's just her genetic make up.

If you see your girl not eating as much, then be sure to decrease her food. The last thing you want is her gaining fat instead of healthy weight, it will only stress her joints and body systems. Also, some dogs do eat less in the heat, especially when it first arrives and they're not acclimated to the higher temps.

The growth between a year and 2yrs - 30mos is typically very slow and hardly noticable, but they will grow more. Since she's spayed, you're not going to see some of teh secondary development which entails weight gain (broadening of the head/cheeks, spring of rib, fill through the body).......so she will not be as large as you may have thought based on her parents. 90ish pounds is a respectable weight, but in the minds of the public, these are "small" Rottweilers.......so be prepared to hears such comments all the time and shrug them off.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 AM

Logan was 60# at 7 months I believe. He was always about 10 under what was "normal". He is now at about 85# (14 months). He's also about and inch short of standard, but as long as he is healthy it doesn't much matter to me. He's a rescue so I can't show him in confirmation anyway...
Logan DD RA HTADIs 2/3HS TT CGC TDI BH - 5 yrs rottweiler (NM)
Cain AD BH SCHI- 3 yrs rottweiler (M)
Raven - 17 mo rottweiler (F)

Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 AM

Doc is 87# at 10 months. Vet figures he'll be right around a hundred full grown.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=BostonRott]I'd be willing to bet she's just going to be a smaller girlie. Vikka is currently around 84 lbs (and I'm trying to get 3 off of her), but for awhile, hovered around the 65-68lb mark. She's a well built bitch with good bone for her size, but she's definitely at the lower end of the standard. It's just her genetic make up.

I'd wager the same since I knew the sire & dam, her spay, and how active she is. We are fortunate to live within walking distance of the local highschool with it's jogging track, football/soccer fields, and multi-baseball diamonds. We go every morning and she runs, chases, zigs, zags like there is no tomorrow. This is her first bout with warmer weather she was born in the fall. She eats the same amount food (Blue Buffalo) just twice a day vice three. Most people think she is [SIZE=5]huge[/SIZE], but since I see her everyday I really don't notice as much and please consider I am 6'4 and 265 so most things are kind of smallish to me

Personally 85-95 lb is about where I want her that way she can continue being active later in life. Thanks for you feedback.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:19 PM

O, hopefully not 95, that's large for a bitch.......and based on her current size/age, at 95lbs, I'd bet she's a running ottoman.

She sounds like an extremely athletic, active girl, that's awesome and I'd bet she's hard as a rock (physically). GOOD FOR YOU!!!! It's so nice to see this, as opposed to the typical Rottopotamuses.

As long as her ribs feel good to you, she has a waist and a tuck up, don't worry 'bout the silly scale, she's healthy and that's the best thing you could ask for!!!

Old 05-19-2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRott
O, hopefully not 95, that's large for a bitch.......and based on her current size/age, at 95lbs, I'd bet she's a running ottoman.

She sounds like an extremely athletic, active girl, that's awesome and I'd bet she's hard as a rock (physically). GOOD FOR YOU!!!! It's so nice to see this, as opposed to the typical Rottopotamuses.

As long as her ribs feel good to you, she has a waist and a tuck up, don't worry 'bout the silly scale, she's healthy and that's the best thing you could ask for!!!

FYI, have posted a pic of her in the gallery for visual reference.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:32 AM

She looks about a decent size for a female, not huge, she'll get to 80 easy id say. Shes only 7 months still has lots of time to gain weight.