Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 01:52 PM

New puppy socializing with Pug

Hello everyone, I am new to the message boards. I have read a lot of the posts and have learned a lot when it comes to raising Rott's. I apologize for the long post but I just want to make sure that we do what is best for our growing family.

My family has just added our newest member. She is an 8 week old Rott. We got her from a reputable breeder and she comes from a good line. I noticed that the day we brought her home she starting testing my wife and myself almost immediately. Needless to say, after 2 days of "dominance down" and the occasional bitter apple spray, the nipping and occasional growling when we correct her has not happened as much. Now she follows me everywhere and is learning to sit and come very well. She has not tried me, but she still growls and snaps at my wife a little. I am guessing because of the higher voice and the tentativeness in my wifes mannerisms.

The other concern that I have is that we already have a 2 week old pug in our family. The Rott seems to be playing very rough with him. All the Pug wants to do is play, but the Rott wants to grab onto him and not let go. Normally the existing dog would put her in her place. But, he is so passive, that he just puts his tail between his legs and lays there. There is no yelping on his part. Sometimes he just runs away she she "pounces". The Rott does not growl at him either. Is this her way of playing or groundwork for dominance. I feel sorry for him and I am not sure if and how I should correct the Rott when she gets too rough. I do not want to get in a situtation where she is completely dominant over him and they will not be able to play together.

Basically, I was wondering if there are tell tale signs that a Rott is trying to dominate the household and therefore cannot be trusted at this early of an age. And, that if there is anything that I can do with the relationship of the Rott and Pug.

We are signed up for OB Training at the end of the month, but I was wondering if there is something that I can do.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:59 PM

Re: New puppy socializing with Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by watts928
The other concern that I have is that we already have a 2 week old pug in our family.
Did you mean 2 YEAR? At 8 weeks I highly doubt that your pup is tring to dominate the household. Pups at that age have what is known as a "puppy passport". Your pug will probably be very tolerant of the pup until she starts to get to big for her britches at which time the pug will put her in her place. Don't be suprised if the rottie rules the roost though as females tend to do.
Logan DD RA HTADIs 2/3HS TT CGC TDI BH - 5 yrs rottweiler (NM)
Cain AD BH SCHI- 3 yrs rottweiler (M)
Raven - 17 mo rottweiler (F)

Old 04-07-2005, 02:10 PM

My fault, I meant 2 years old. The only problem is that I am about 90% sure that the pug will never ever put any dog in its place. He is always around other dogs (big and small) and he has never snapped anything of that nature to another dog. He just takes whatever he gets. Just after a few days, the Rott is getting rougher. It started with play nipping and now is pouncing and clenching on any part of him that she can.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Valued Member

Teach your Rottweiler pup the Pug is not a toy, our boy is very gentle with our Pugs because he was taught from day one, by us they are not his personal chew toys. You owe it to your Pug to not let him be bullied or injured by your new pup.
Casey&Tedy Rescued Pugs

Lakina's Cosmic Force

Old 04-07-2005, 02:14 PM

How did you do that, ie what kind of methods? I do not want to confuse the puppy or teach her that playing is bad.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Valued Member

Just told him to knock it off and leave them alone, we had two elderly boys when he came in our home. His was not damaged learning to leave them in peace, we redirected him to a toy. You will not hurt your pup teaching her to respect your Pug.
Casey&Tedy Rescued Pugs

Lakina's Cosmic Force