Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 AM
Novice Member

help with feeding a young pup

Hi! Fair warning, and I apologize in advance. This is going to contain run on sentences, and mistakes. I do not know how to type on my kindle.
I put my last rottie down in 06, at the age of 14. She was the last dog that I have had. My schedule was crazy for years, and would not have been fair to a dog. Now, I work 4-5 hours a night, 4-5 days a week, and my other half works days...so it is finally time for a dog! He surprised me with a pup for my birthday last week. She will be ready to Come home the last week October.(younger then I would like, 7 weeks. The breeder said his female stops nursing by week 6). I have been researching puppy food all week. From what I see there are only three non-gmo feeds out there. Wellness, acana, and orijen. Right now they feed the parents natural balance, and I have thought of this as a good food,I changed my brother's dog to it, when she started having issues with pedigree last month.(just before the recall) Turns out she had a chicken allergy. She is thriving on the lamb and rice. But, I am concerned...they have beet pulp in their feeds, and from what I have read, some ingredients are sourced in China. What should I start her on? Besides, goat milk puppy milk replacer. He said she will be started on natural balance synergy as a mash when I get her. Thank you!
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1088109 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 AM

Re: help with feeding a young pup

Doesn't matter when the mom stops nursing - the pups learn crucial things from littermates during that time - 8-10 weeks is the best time to bring home a pup. Sorry excuse form the breeder letting the pups go because mom stops nursing - pure laziness on the breeders part to do this!

Pedigree is crap food - hence the cheap price -full of leftovers from processing the useful stuff and fillers and chemicals. As for the goats milk, before pups are weaned, they should be started on a good kibble soaked in the milk - you can switch the pup to whatever food you choose to feed - buy a small bag of whatever they are feeding and slowly transition to the food you choose.

I feed a raw diet (switched 2 1/2 years ago) so I don't have a clue what's going on with kibble these days. I do keep sample bags of grain free kibble on hand for those days I forget to thaw food - but that does not happen very often!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Valued Member

Acana is a very good kibble if you want to feed kibble. You can match up the protein in the Wellness to switch over to the Acana. My pups have been on raw from the time they have been weaned. Starting out with one protein and then gradually on to other proteins.

Personally, I think seven weeks is too young for a pup to leave it's mom. After raising 14 Rottweilers and one non-Rottweiler, I've found that around 10 weeks is the best as they are over their 1st. fear period and are well adjusted. I know, there are breeders that swear you'll miss the imprinting time or the bonding. I have not found that to be the case.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Novice Member

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately, I do not have a choice as to when she comes home. I think most of her siblings are leaving at 6 weeks. :( believe me, I would wait..if possible.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 AM

You can go to dog food advisor where the research is already done for you. I would recommend any of the 4-5 star foods.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:12 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: help with feeding a young pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstacy19 View Post
Thanks for the input! Unfortunately, I do not have a choice as to when she comes home. I think most of her siblings are leaving at 6 weeks. :( believe me, I would wait..if possible.
Please reconsider getting a puppy from these BYB's. You may face many years of health and behavior problems...by supporting these kind of breeders. They don't care what they breed, or what happens to the puppies...as long as the check clears.

In most states it's illegal to sell puppies before 8 weeks of age. By giving your money to these 'greeders'....you are sentencing the female to be bred again...to make themselves more money. Either support and ethical COE breeder, or adopt a Rottweiler from a shelter....the shelter pups/dogs come from BYB's anyway...but at least they do not line the BYB's pockets.

As far as food...since this puppy is coming from a lousy situation...make sure you take it to the vet for worming and to set up a vaccination schedule...then start reading up on bite inhibition. A puppy taken away from it's dam and littermates often has huge problems with being mouthy and biting. Then get signed up for a puppy class that uses positive methods...for training and socialization. I would also sign up for pet insurance....BYB dogs of have major health problems and may end up costing you thousands of dollars in the future.

Orijen is a great food....get the pup started on a good food.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Vintage Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstacy19 View Post
Then I would wait for a better breeder. NO way should you even consider this individual reputable. What you have is a BYB. Good breeders never let us go before 8 weeks... and most states have laws preventing it. BYB's routinely neglect doing health tests on the sire and dam before breeding. Those additional 2 weeks are socially crucial, and it is when pups learn bit inhibition. Perhaps reconsider.

However, I feel you will likely bring this girl home. Gina being the wise individual she is, recommends worming asap, and her puppy check up's, etc. Orijen is great food as are Wellness and Acana. You can soak a container full and refrigerate. You can stir thru a dollop of yogurt 1-2 x a week for good intestinal health. You'll be doing 3-4 meals daily. Potty shortly after eating. Have a "happy pooper party" when she does! Crate training is a good idea. You will likely be playing diversion and redirection games more than what is average due to her leaving litter mates and mum early. Start looking for some positive reinforcement puppy classes.

Last edited by SABELLESMOM; 10-06-2014 at 03:45 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Novice Member

Thank you everyone! Well, the situation is worse then even I believed. I picked her up on Sunday, turns out at 6 1/2 weeks, there were only 3 puppies left in the house. The sister they showed us at 3 weeks old (who was much smaller, and aggressive already at a that age) was twice her size when I got there. I brought her home, and could not feed her enough. She gobbled up all of the puppy milk and orijen puppy food she could. All day all she wanted was to eat. I took her to the vet yesterday morning for her puppy check up and first shots, the vet wouldn't gigive her the vaccinations because she is very undernourished. She weighs 4 lbs 3 oz. :( should be at least 8 lbs. Waiting on the fecal test results today. He said her heart is good and conformation decent. Overall healthy. she is getting her first shots at 8 weeks, her eyes are still grey/blue. Poor thing was being starved. Here is my issue now, she doesn't want the orijen anymore, just the milk. Anything I can do? Should I buy some canned to mix in with the softened dry? I will add the yogurt too. Sorry, I haven't had a puppy in over 20 years, she is pretty awesome though.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Valued Member

I would go with Orijen canned foods or mix the milk in well with the dry food.

You might want to look into a good training class now. She won't be ready for a few weeks but you want to find a good positive trainer. I know that the Oakland County Kennel Club website has links to several different training facilities - you might find one that is close enough to you. Remember - you are going to have to provide those life lessons that she would have learned from her littermates and her mom.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 10-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Novice Member

Thanks lavender, the milk worked perfectly. Yes, I will definitely do training classes. Did them with my last girl too.