Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Novice Member

Growth rate

I acquired my first rottie as an adult so I did not get to experience the breed's growth rate. He was also a very small adult weighing in at only 91 lbs at his best weight. He lived to be almost 15.5 years old so I can't complain.
Anyhow, I have looked at growth charts for the breed but I am wondering if some lines take longer to mature and rarely fit with the charts.
Also when do most dogs have a mature head piece? 2 yrs? or older?
My puppy is 8 months old so I am just curious as to how his size compares to other rotties his age.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 PM

Re: Growth rate

Every dog is different, and their genetics will determine their growth rate and mature size for the most part. That being said, a general rule of thumb is that puppies will gain about 10 lbs a month, so an 8 month old male could easily be around 80 lbs. This will obviously slow down greatly over the next few months. Rotties are a very slow maturing breed, and males even more so. Depending on your dogs lines, most males mature somewhere between 2-4 years, but I've most commonly heard 2-2.5. My boy just turned 2 in October and I am still noticing slight differences in him in regards to gaining a little mass.

If you are still in contact with your breeder, you can ask how the parents matured, and also where other puppies are in relation to yours