Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 AM

Runt of the litter?

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am trying to get some advice from those with more Rott experience!

The litter I am choosing from was very large - 14 of which 11 survived. There was/is a male and a female that are both about 1/2 the size of the others at 4wks, yet appear to be gaining weight and maturing normally.

Essentially I am hoping to hear your opinions on large Rott litters and if the wee ones will be able to catch up?

Here is the link to the breeders site (I currently live in France) *link removed by Admin*

He looks terrified in the picture on the site and the breeder sent me another photo, which I've attached. He's about4 wks old in the photos.

He's the littlest, but bigger and livelier than the female and is eating softened dry food already. The vet has said he is healthy, but we're just wondering if he'll ever catch up or if he'll stay so small. While it's hard to see in the photo he does have a sizeable head for his wee body! For the moment we're playing 'wait and see' and may possible opt for another male in the litter, yet there is something about him that intrigues me!

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg male4.jpg (28.6 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Vista; 01-25-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1041436 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM

Re: Runt of the litter?

My first Rott was the runt and was a lot smaller than the remaining females. I wanted a male and it was the only remaining male left. He grew to be 110 lbs and was one of my best. Extremely strong and very smart. I would not hesitate to take a runt again if it were healthy.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM

My friend and I got pups from the same litter. The breeder had two sets of twins. My friend got a runt, my girl was second biggest. My girl was at 115 lbs. The other one is at 98 lbs. Mine is gone for two years now. The runt is still here at 10.5 years old.

The boy I have now (rescue) was a runt. He is two years old now and standing at 30" and 118 lbs. Out of standard, of course, but very smart and healthy so far.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM

My Sadie was the runt of her litter of 11. She's been very healthy until lately she's being treated for pancreatitus. Which from what I understand can happen to any dog. But she will be 7 in July. She's average size from what I understand. I dont know measurements. Her average weight has been about 82 lbs, which is perfect for her.
He is an absolute doll!!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 PM

My mom's bitch was the runt (out of 6 pups) and she ended up the biggest of the
bitches...107# and not fat...just a big girl. So, as long as the pup is healthy the determining factor for size is the size of the parents...if you are not planning on showing I wouldn't worry about size but instead focus on temperament and the health clearances on the parents, parents siblings and grandparents on both sides of the pedigree.
Marauder's Born To Be Wild v Remington AKA "Chaos"

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Thank you all for your responses - I appreciate it and like I said, he intrigues me and is absolutely a love, all kisses all the time, and I think he'll be my pick :)

Cheers,

Debe

Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Vintage Valued Member

Wow. He looks just 4 weeks old, as claimed. They are so adorable and still tiny then. I've known runts who turn out bigger than their siblings. You say this fellow intrigues you. Focus on his temperament and health.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Teazle was quite a small puppy but I was surprised at how she grew. She may only weigh 68-70lbs but she is 25" at the shoulder...couldn't believe she would grow that tall (She isn't skinny, just lean and a bit leggy).

Many years ago my GSD had pups. The smallest born was a male but when he was ready for his new home, he was the biggest !!!

Size doesn't really matter in my opinion as long as the pup is healthy and of good temperament.

Size only really matters when chocolate is involved !

Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Valued Member

What people call the runt is often just a puppy who got a spot in the uterus with less blood flow, which means they grow more slowly and are smaller at birth and take a while to catch up, it doesn't have to mean anything more than that. The smallest puppy from my last litter (who always looked a week younger than the others when they were here) is now bigger than both her sisters at the age of two. One of my dogs was bigger than all her female littermates when they were puppies and is now (at maturity) by far the smallest. Of course, sometimes the runt is a puppy with a medical problem as well.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Thank you again :) This is what I've heard as well, as it was a very large litter logically they couldn't all be huge. But he really is half the size of the others for the moment, thought growing steadily as far as we can see.

Cheers,

Debe

Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM

I would be concerned about a pup that comes from a breeder that allows you to choose which pup you will be receiving. Most COE breeders choose your pup for you, as they know the entire litter better than anyone else. Please make sure your breeder is a COE breeder by having multiple discussions with them (many posts on this form to help you determine what is a COE breeder) and verifying all health clearances, ie. hips, elbows, eyes and hearts.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Valued Member

And yes, you definitely should not be choosing your puppy. A good breeder might show you two puppies with similar traits to choose between, but you should not be choosing from the whole litter. A good breeder's primary obligation is placing the right puppy in the right home, they know the puppies, you don't.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Vintage Valued Member

Well here's a shock for ya. While most breeders will select and match a pup to the owner, some are willing to be a bit more lenient. My breeder knew, understood and willingly allowed me to have a say... I was showing the dog, and had shown before. So while she may have had an excellent idea of what I wanted, she allowed me to choose my second dog with her. I have an eye and she knew it.

So let me say this, perhaps with more novice general public, an intellegent breeder will know the pup, it's conformation, and temperament better. That is not always a hard and fast rule.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 PM

Hello,

Thank you again for you responses. I contacted her initially after researching lots of breeders in France. The laws are quite different here, requiring rotts to be declared at the mayor's office, insured for risks on home owners insurance and muzzled in public - extreme but true. Owners also have to pass a handling permit. All rotts in France also have to pass a temperament test between 8 and 10 months to determine their level of aggressivity. On a scale of 1 to 4, 1 being the lowest and 4 being very aggressive, both of the parents are a 1/4. This litters parents are clear for hip, elbows, hearts and eyes, and the father is one of the most popular in France. Honestly I have tried to determine if COE exists in France, but quite honestly I am not certain.

After telling the breeder what we were looking for and saying I was intrigued by the littlest one, she recommended him, due to his extremely friendly personality and another male, again a bit smaller that the others and very chill. There are 4 others as well and then of course a lot of females, and of them all she recommended the two out of the 11.

Any other insights that I may be overlooking?

Cheers,

Debe

Old 01-26-2012, 06:09 PM

I agree with Sabellsmom, if the purchaser is an experienced Rottweiler owner and/or previous puppy buyer from that breeder, then a COE breeder might let you choose your pup. After 30 years in the breed I have been able to choose which pup I wanted due to my experience, of course always taking into consideration the breeders reasons for their pick for my family, as well.

As the OP doesn't state her Rottweiler experience I thought it was wise to include the COE parameters and health clearances into this discussion, just in case the OP will be a novice owner.