Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Novice Member

Getting 4/5 week old puppy

Greetings, everyone. We wish we had found this board sooner. We will be getting a rottweiler puppy, but she will only be 4/5 weeks old, as the breeder sends the puppies to their new homes after they are weaned. However, after reading these puppy boards, we are concerned that we could have significant problems as a result of getting her too early.

We will have lots of time to spend with our new girl and will be taking her to socialization classes as soon as she is ready (age, vaccinated, etc.). Can you suggest other things we should do before and/or after she arrives to help her develop into a healthy and well-mannered girl?

Any help you can give is so appreciated!
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1033510 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Re: Getting 4/5 week old puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourgirlbella View Post
Greetings, everyone. We wish we had found this board sooner. We will be getting a rottweiler puppy, but she will only be 4/5 weeks old, as the breeder sends the puppies to their new homes after they are weaned. However, after reading these puppy boards, we are concerned that we could have significant problems as a result of getting her too early.

We will have lots of time to spend with our new girl and will be taking her to socialization classes as soon as she is ready (age, vaccinated, etc.). Can you suggest other things we should do before and/or after she arrives to help her develop into a healthy and well-mannered girl?

Yes! RUN AWAY AND FAST!! You'll appreciate this advice down the road.

This greeder only wants your money and has no interest in the dogs they breed. Sure they want to get rid of the pups after they're weaned, that's when all the hard work starts!!!

You can spend all the time in the world with this pup once you get her home, BUT the pup needs to spend this time with her littermates and mom as this time is the most critical time for learning bite inhibition and manners that will help mold this pup into a good canine citizen.

PLEASE, DON'T GET TRAPPED BY THE CUTE PUPPY FACE...it could be your worst nightmare down the road. RUN, RUN RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK.

Read the Breeders Forum and it's Stickys. You will learn a lot.

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/bre...ext-puppy.html

Please read the link that I added. I'm sure you have experienced these points from this greeder. These are facts that you need to really take heed to.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Last edited by JoJo; 12-01-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added a link.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Yes! RUN AWAY AND FAST!! You'll appreciate this advice down the road.

This greeder only wants your money and has no interest in the dogs they breed. Sure they want to get rid of the pups after they're weaned, that's when all the hard work starts!!!

You can spend all the time in the world with this pup once you get her home, BUT the pup needs to spend this time with her littermates and mom as this time is the most critical time for learning bite inhibition and manners that will help mold this pup into a good canine citizen.

PLEASE, DON'T GET TRAPPED BY THE CUTE PUPPY FACE...it could be your worst nightmare down the road. RUN, RUN RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK.

Read the Breeders Forum and it's Stickys. You will learn a lot.

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/bre...ext-puppy.html

Please read the link that I added. I'm sure you have experienced these points from this greeder. These are facts that you need to really take heed to.
Listen to EVERY word of this post - do NOT take home this puppy or ANY puppy this young - and be glad you asked ahead of time.
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart

Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 AM

Jojo run for the hills!!!! If u get a pup that young you have guaranteed yourself ten yrs of frustration and heartache GAURANTEED. Not fair on you or the dog. And tell that so called breeder he/she is a traitor to the breed. RUN

Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Seriously...no one would let the pups leave at only 4 - 5 weeks old would they ? Unless of course the mom is dead or gravely ill.

This is a serious post ?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourgirlbella View Post
Can you suggest other things we should do before and/or after she arrives to help her develop into a healthy and well-mannered girl?

If you are serious about wanting advice for 'before' she arrives - I completely agree with JoJo...and SERIOUSLY - you should cancel your decision to purchase a puppy from anyone who sends them packing at 4-5 weeks of age.......then get busy researching the right way to select and WAIT for a puppy....

If you are only sort of serious about wanting advice - and more want advice about 'after' she arrives - I'd consider finding a litter of puppies (breed not necessarily key at this point) in your area, with an owner/foster who might consider letting your new puppy reside with them for another 3+ weeks.....that time from 4 weeks to 7 weeks with the littermates is SO IMPORTANT......our breed in particular I think.....

NOW - another thought - if you just won't walk away from this puppy - I'd recommend you seek out a mentor in a COE breeder - as even some well respected breeders will have a singleton puppy - and they WORK THEIR TAIL OFF with these singleton's to insure they get the BEST possible start in life - with their limited experiences by having no littermates.....you will have to work hard and likely treat your pup like she was a singleton....since she will miss some pretty important dog to dog lessons in those final weeks she should remain with her littermates/mom......each dog is very unique so it is impossible to say right now - how removing her so early, will affect her long term. I wish you the best - but the best is to just cancel your intent to purchase her.....and somehow I suspect you will pick her up anyway....so my wishes are for that scenario going forward.....you are wise to plan for puppy classes - then basic obedience classes, then advanced obedience classes, and so on....for 3-5 years to come...

How friggin' sad to know there is someone selling puppies 4-5 weeks of age - and they have an audience.......ugh....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:41 PM

I am assuming that you have already paid for the dog... Attempt to get your money back- LIE if you have to.... but if you can't get it back, let it go. I PROMISE YOU, you will be better off to leave it. Don't think you're "saving the puppy" by buying it. DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS "GREEDER." They will never help you and you will have an unhealthy dog costing you THOUSANDS in vet bills in no time! (Recently happened to a new member that we advised to run, but he didn't take the advice he asked for. He's now broke, dropped out of college because he can't afford it, and has a puppy that will probably not live long.)

Take this as a VALUABLE lesson, keep reading here, and learn how to find a real COE (Code Of Ethics) breeder. I promise, if you listen to everyone's advice and don't rush this decision, you'll be VERY thankful.

Attitude? No, I don't have an "attitude." It's called a "Rottweiler."

Old 12-01-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm not sure if this is a legal link post...Age to Sell Puppy Table

In some states it's illegal to sell puppies under 8 weeks old. See if your state has laws in place against this. And if it is illegal in yours or the state this person is selling puppies....report this loser/breeder.

Whatever you do...do not take a puppy away from it's dam until it's at least 8 weeks old. They miss out on a lot of things like bite inhibition for one.

Ocean RA NJC TN-N HIC CGC
Top 10 ARC

Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM

Luckily you DID find this board soon enough to prevent you from making this huge mistake. Age aside, this "breeder" obviously cares NOTHING about the health/temperament of the dogs he is producing. Good breeders want their dogs to have the best possible life, and this guy obviously doesn't care right from the get-go. Who knows what problems these puppies will develop down the road. So sad

Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Sending a puppy home at this age is very much like marrying off your 10 year old daughter.

Besides the behavioral issues you are likely to have, you might want to consider health issues that are likely to arise. Since this "breeder" doesn't care anything about these puppies besides the dollars to be made, I am sure that there have been no health tests done on the parents. I wonder if they have seen a vet at all?

A rottweiler puppy is certainly a wonderful thing. But it is important to find the right breeder to help you find the right puppy. This breeder is not that person.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 AM

Dear OurGirlBella ....

Just like all of these professionals have stated you and the pup are really and truly in for a world of hurting in so many ways if you continue on with this baby!!

I can tell you I am not a breeder however I took care of my best friends litter of Rott pups for 2 weeks after a major catastrophy happened at her home .... let me tell you how much they learn by being together with ther brothers and sisters ...

I really liked the 1 comment about marrying off your 10 year old .. it's just a crazy thing and you would never do it ...

I can tell you I now have my 2nd Rott, she is 9 weeks old and what a 360 she has done since spending those extra weeks with her littermates!

I also agree with the other post about trying to get her in with another litter if possible ... just because ... they really NEED to learn from one another.

I hope these posts have helped ... I'm not sure if this is your first rott or not but if you can ... I would try to get out of the aggreement too ... :0(

PLEASE keep us posted on this issue! AND, I know in PA pups must be 8wks before they can be released ... think about reporting the "greeder" to the AKC ...

GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 PM

Let me tell you from someone who once brought home a very young and cheap Mastiff puppy. Even if you lose money at this point it will be less painful than if you get this baby. My mastiff had several operations and I ended up having to put him down due to his continued list of health problems. That was only after I had put all my savings into him down to being without water (paid his vet bills and not my own) or car insurance for at least a month, several months on the car insurance. I too knew better and was told not to get him by a great Mastiff board. I wanted that puppy so bad I did not listen. To this day the whole thing hangs over me for my guilt and for the sake of his short life. I'm new here. I have nothing at stake in telling you. Honestly, dont do it.

Genia.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Novice Member

I live in Costa Rica, where there are no professional breeders. I have had two rescue Rotties in the US before moving here, both of whom came with baggage, so I wanted a pup to raise "right".

I searched for more than a year until I found a local woman whose bitch had just had pups. I met both parents, lovely dogs, healthy and beautiful with excellent dispositions.

I chose my puppy when she was three weeks old, placed a deposit and expected to return for her in a month or so. A week later, the owner called and said that I had to pick her up or she would be sold to someone else who could take her right away. I explained to her that the puppies were way too young to go to homes, but she was adamant. My feeliing was that I could raise her better than a "non Rottie person" and in Costa Rica, many Rotties are trained to be guard dogs and mostly chained. I couldn't see that for this pup, so I did commit to her at four weeks.

She was just starting to eat food, moistened with milk, and I hand fed her for a time. I washed her with a cloth every day to simulate her mom's tongue, she slept with me and my other two dogs, in a big pile, I growled and bit her ear when necessary, like a mama dog. The other dogs also helped out. I even temporarily fostered a couple of rescue pups, near her age, so she would have the interactions. Once she had her shots, I took her everywhere, so she would get used to dogs, people, cars, etc.

Perhaps I was just lucky, but she is now eight months old, 30 kilos beautiful and healthy (except for the surgery to remove rocks from her stomach) but a bit of a brat, like any teenager. She loves to grab anything and run with it, looking back to see if she has my attention....and is a terrible counter crawler, I'm working on both areas. I love my big-little monster.

I would never recommend to anyone to take on baby that young, unless you are going to devote just about every waking hour to her creating the world that should have been.

Best wishes to all,

LMC and Betsy Boo the Rottweiler

Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Novice Member

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful advice. We decided not to get the young puppy, and will be very careful as we choose in the future. Thank you again!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 AM

I am sad for you because I know the disappointment of not getting your planned puppy but you made the right choice. I hope you ae able to find the perfect match to your home soon. Good luck and enjoy the search. Soon enough you will be up at all hours of the night for potty breaks. lol