Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 10:04 PM

Stages of development

Its kinda confusing..
Everything about this dog changes rapidly...
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1031072 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 AM

Re: Stages of development

What's changing? I'd love to hear the details.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Valued Member

Not so hard really. Infant pups eventually become old enough to leave momma and come home with an owner who loves and needs to train it. From there, you assess, work, and tweak your methods patiently.This is where positive reinforcement works!

Early puppyhood becomes adolescence. This may have a few bumps and rutts along the way, but perseverance, positivity, and consistency will see you through. Ask a question if there is something specific. Be observant, and be willing to grow with your dog. Develop some understanding.

Eventually, 3-4 years, you have an adult dog who if you've done your job right, is wonderful and reliable! Even if you miss a thing or two... something you'd like to see better Talk to someone, get some new ideas, and go to work. Even old dogs learn new tricks. Ask anyone who rescues or adopts.

What'cha got that's confusing? I'm sure all is not lost.

I see your location is NY. Where in NY, city or state?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM

As a puppy for 2 days she was digging holes in the yard like a maniac...and then she never did it again...

She collected rocks for months...and then she suddenly stopped.

As a small puppy she was perfectly behaved...and then suddenly became very destructive for 2 months...and then suddenly it stopped.

These changes dont happen gradually...they happen suddenly.

Same thing goes for house breaking ...Every day poop on the floor in the hallway and pee in the living room..and then suddenly..it never happened again.

Her size and shape seemed to change overnight....from a ball of fur that looked like a baby bear..to a tall skinny dog with big ears...to a stocky looking muscular animal...and everything in between.

She is 8 months old today ..Weve had her for about 6 months ..
I wonder if shes done changing yet?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxweiler View Post
She is 8 months old today ..Weve had her for about 6 months ..
I wonder if shes done changing yet?
Not even CLOSE to being done changing! Enjoy every stage!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:13 AM
Valued Member

Oh THOSE kinds of "changes"... Some puppies have active minds equipped with an "I go bonkers" switch. Enjoy the ride, it won't take forever. In the mean time be consistent and persevere.

The body changes are pretty funny. I remember e-mailing my breeder about Rave. She'd hit a height spurt and her ears looked overly large. I accused her (jokingly) of having a Coonhound on the premises... and sent her a picture! She laughed her buns off!

I had a GSD once who had the most confused look on his face when he bonked his head going under the coffee table! "Hey! Who shortened the legs on this thing?"

Raven is a stunning girl. Nothing but the best of the best there. But she did have me raising an eyebrow once or twice as she grew.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:27 AM

I agree with those awkward growth spurts!

My girl is 16 months old and starting to look a little more mature now. I didn't think she looked that puppy like untill I look back at pictures, how scrawny and lankey she was!

Though when we do Sit-stays at my club, the expression she pulls she looks like she is 6 months again. I can't tell if shes getting ready to run around the place like a dork or to come running to me or to just sit their like a good girl (But 9/10 times she will sit there like a good girl, the other time she will slowly stand up and slooowwwlly walk over to me, like "mum im supposed to be beside you right?")

Old 11-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABELLESMOM;1031072I
had a GSD once who had the most confused look on his face when he bonked his head going under the coffee table! "Hey! Who shortened the legs on this thing?"
Rowdy did that while chasing his little "step-brother." He was only a few months old but he hit the table so hard he moved it about a foot! he looked at it with a tilted head then went right back to play time. I told the wife "It's OK. It was just his head."

Attitude? No, I don't have an "attitude." It's called a "Rottweiler."

Old 11-12-2011, 06:07 PM

His paws are massive, his head is too big for his body, his back legs are longer than his front ones and one ear is flying. He swaggers when he walks, prances when he trots and runs like a bat out of hell! One moment he thinks he is a racehorse and the next, a teddy bear. What is he? He is my puppy!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABELLESMOM View Post
I see your location is NY. Where in NY, city or state?
Long Island..Its kinda like part of NY...

Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberley View Post
His paws are massive, his head is too big for his body, his back legs are longer than his front ones and one ear is flying. He swaggers when he walks, prances when he trots and runs like a bat out of hell! One moment he thinks he is a racehorse and the next, a teddy bear. What is he? He is my puppy!!!!!!!!!
Amen to that! I think we can all relate to that at some point. I actually was starting to think Jackson was part giraffe at one time. He also looked like a deer from the back with those long skinny back legs, tan bottom, and nub.