Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 PM

Rottweiler/Aussie Mix Question

Hey everybody!

We rescued a beautiful little girl from a Humane Society here in Colorado when she was about 13 weeks old. They had four pups from a litter in Kansas and had only had her for about 2 days before we took her home. She's definitely a Rottie/Australian Shepherd mix and despite the fact that her coloring is nearly all Rottie, a couple of her litter mates had very distinct Aussie markings. Our girl, "Bella", has one flash of white right up the front of her chest, but that's about it.

Anyway, when we took her in to meet the vet, she was 14 weeks and about 21 lbs. The range that she gave us on size was "somewhere between 40 and 90 pounds". Nice range, right! Well, I think we can forget about the lower end of that...

By the time she was 6 months, she was about 55 lbs but still looks much thinner than that. She's pretty lean and doesn't have the bulk of a Rottie.

She's now 7 months old and still growing. She's 60 lbs but still pretty lean looking. My question is whether she'll always be a little leaner due to the shepherd in her or whether that sort of growth is typical of rotties too? Do rotties grow proportionally or are there spurts in different areas? Will her head always be sort of the shape/size relative to her body, or do rotties' heads "fill out" later? She also seems to be a little smallish in her front shoulders relative to the rest of her. The harness we have her in right now fits everywhere but is a little loose around her front shoulders (where she has a TON of loose skin). Her front shoulders are also still a little lower than her hindquarters, which someone told me recently means that she's got a lot of growing left in her...not sure if that's true, though.

Anyway, she's a wonderful girl, she's great with our two toddler boys and we just couldn't be happier with her (well, that's not true, she's destroyed some carpet, a coffee table and taken a crack at re-landscaping our lawn...but we're going to keep her!).

Here are a couple of pics from when she was younger and then a little more recent one at the bottom. Just would love some insights from anyone who has seen how rottie mixes in particular grow- just because her coloring is rottie dominant, does that mean much?

I know it's still a guess, but we're just curious more than anything.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bella.jpg (28.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0525.jpg (50.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05348.jpg (71.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0703.jpg (42.9 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by 5280Bella; 10-21-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1028181 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:25 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Rottweiler/Aussie Mix Question

Welcome to the forums!
Your girl is very sweet looking. She looks very much Rottweiler, but you can see in her head and face the AS.

If she weighs 60lbs at 7 months she may get up to 75-80 lbs...much bigger then an AS.
As far as being lean in the chest....most Rottweilers do grow in spurts, and fill in slowly. She should grow, till she is about 10 months, and then just fill in, and gain a few more pounds.

Since she is a mix, it's really hard to tell how her head will end up. She also could stay lean and lanky looking. Enjoy her, and get her into obedience classes...both breeds do well with formal training...and both need jobs to do, or can get into trouble.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 10-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Re: Rottweiler/Aussie Mix Question

I had an Aussi/Rottie mix. I met her parents so I know that she was 3/4 Rottie and 1/4 Australian shepherd. I just uploaded some pictures of her if you go to my images. I'm not sure how to put them in a post. She weighed about 75lbs. at her heaviest (and you can see by her pictures she was in good shape. She was definitely a little more leggy then the standard Rottie and she had a little longer face. I would guess that Bella will be very similar in size to Snickers. I don't think Snickers grew that much after about a year but did get a little more muscular. I lost my very special girl to Hemangiosarcoma in December of last year. I miss her every day but luckily I now have my sweet Hershey to help mend the huge hole in my heart.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM

She sure is cute!

As far as the question about weight/bulkiness, keep in mind that MANY of the Rotts you see are actually overweight. :( People constantly question my Apollo, wondering whether or not he's a mix, because he's not morbidly obese.

I also wouldn't expect even a purebred Rottie pup of your dog's age to be very bulky. They tend to grow up until they're around a year, and then slowly start filling out. If you check out my album, I think I have some stacked pics of Apollo when he was around a year.

Some of the really "buff" Rotties you see (the ones that are super muscular) are that way because their owners do weight training or they are working dogs that build muscle naturally. :)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Hi , what a great looking girl! I have a rotti x English bull terrier called Bruno and he was very leggy until about 15 months old and then just bulked right out lol ( he weights 30 kgs of pure muscle ) I also have a pure rotti called daisy and she is 6 months old and all legs , I'm just hoping she fills out the same but I do keep my dogs lean and healthy as Bruno has OCD of the hock joint : (

Old 10-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Valued Member

You would probably have a WHOLE lot of fun taking her herding!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks for all the responses!

Dena- So sorry to hear about Snickers. I saw some of the pics and she was a beautiful dog. Glad you have Hershey!

I guess it's a "wait and see" thing on how much she'll fill out. Regardless, she's a great pup and gets along really well with the other dogs and children on our courtyard.

This is a great forum, by the way! Glad to have found such a terrific resource.