Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Puppy Development Regardless of the problem, lets put everything puppy releated here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Novice Member

Daily schedule/routine for 15 week old

Hi guys!

Just wanted some thoughts and opinions on a daily routine/schedule for 15 week old puppies. I have a boy and girl, Stanley and Genevieve. I know most will disagree with our decision to have two puppies at the same time. I am doing everything separately with them...walks, different doggie daycare days, different puppy kindergarten classes, separate play times at home, different puppy pre-agility classes, separate car rides and outings with my older rottie girls.

I am in and out of the house all day...some days home all day. How much time daily is healthy to be in the crate for building independence and making it a "safe" den? Should I have a crate in a living area during the day taking turns with each puppy just letting them observe the daily activities of the house without being involved? I'm trying to get as many new experiences in each week; restaurant patios, car washes, soccer games, playgrounds, Home Depot, etc. as well as puppy kindergarten, puppy agility, and doggie daycare for socialization.

They sleep in my bedroom in their crates at night, one on my side of the bed, the other on my hubby's. During the day I move one puppy to our "dog room" on the other side of the house. I do usually let them play together for a little while at night in our supervision. They eat in their crates...one in the dog room, the other in our bedroom. I take them out to the bathroom separately on leash to a small area of our backyard. I haven't had this age in a LONG time(10 years), I've had older rescues more recently.

A little background info:

My hubby and I were involved in Rottie Rescue about 10 years ago. We had a lot of fosters, we adopted several out through the rescue after very thorough screening and kept 6 of the rescued babies ourselves! We had them all since 2001. We had ALL females and one male...my first male dog ever! He was such a sweetie!

When we started rescuing, we had a golden retriever and another rottie that we had had since she was a puppy in '98. We lost our sweet golden several years ago. Unfortunately in the last year we have lost 4 of our babies...all between the ages of 12-15...hard to know exactly since they were rescues...but we had them all together for 10 years. We have been really lucky to have them all live so long! I think a lot is due to our raw feeding and holistic lifestyle...we have always done acupuncture, chiropractic, good supplements, and energy work with our babies.

Until we got the puppies last month, we just had our 2 girls, Ava and Georgia. Our house felt so quiet and empty. Ava and Georgia were so depressed after living with so many dogs for so many years. It's been a very tough and sad year for us!!

Anyway, I'm wanting advice/suggestions on things such as how often take the puppies out to the bathroom, how often to play, how often to clicker train, etc. I think I might be taking them out TOO much! I have read so many conflicting things as you can imagine and thought it would be a good idea to ask other rottie people.

Sorry for the random thought process of this post...it's been a long day and not thinking very clearly! :) I would LOVE any other tips.

Thank you!
Brooke

Old 09-29-2011, 01:44 AM

Re: Daily schedule/routine for 15 week old

Hi Brooke,
I'm anxious to read the answers you get as I am bringing home an 8 wk old next wk - was Lso very involved in rescue and this is my first pup and first female

Sue

Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Valued Member

Brooke - if you are having good results with house training efforts, and good efforts with basic training and leash training at their age....then what works for you is working With the multiple dogs you've had over the years - I bet you are doing 'just fine' with these two pups!

You know all the trappings of having same sex dogs - of raising two littermates together - and you have a long history of successfully running a multiple large dog home...

You sound busy to me - but happy too - and that all comes down the leash to those pups.

With them being 4 months old - I think your training efforts should be short, often and happy - and if the pups are easily engaged and enjoying these training sessions - that's your barometer - at least in my book. I say stay on course with what you are doing....but I know the second guessing we do too - because we have our 'first pup' in our home in a VERY long time too - and you just have to dig deep to recall 'how is this done again?' - lol....

All the best to you and your dogs/pups! I like the separate time you are affording both pups - that's hard to do and maintain - sounds like you are committed and I hope the future holds GREAT things for you all!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Valued Member

I usually frown big time on two puppies, but it seems like you have a very workable schedule. Like Vicki mentioned; short training sessions as many times as possible throughout the day at that age. We throw in sits and downs randomly and recall work never seems to end. Just keep it upbeat. Training through play seems to be most effective for us. Good luck!

Niko ~ aka the Neeks Meister 07/10/2009
Simone ~ aka Princess Monie 11/20/2010
Chance ~ aka Widget 12/21/2013