Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Puppy Development > "Puppy Biting/Puppy Aggression"
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

"Puppy Biting/Puppy Aggression" If you have issues specific to "Puppy" aggression or biting, please post them in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 05:15 AM

Question Puppy biting, spray bottle

Hi,

We've taken Luna for her first obedience class, and it went great! She is, however, still biting our hands, legs, pants and the kitten's tail (completely normal for a 4month old, I know!).

One of the trainers suggested using a spray bottle and spraying her with water (I've also read this advice on some of the threads here). My question is this: When doing this, do we correct her verbally while spraying, saying "No!" or "No Bite!"? I may have misunderstood the trainer, but thinking about what she said later it seems that we should NOT correct verbally while spraying, so the puppy doesn't associate the possibly unpleasant water spray with us, its just a distraction from "somewhere". Does this make sense? Then, how will she now the behaviour is wrong?

Please help, we're obviously going back to class next week, but I didn't want to wait till Sunday to start doing this the right way.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 AM

Re: Puppy biting, spray bottle

Congrats on attending classes with Luna. My recommendation would be to do away with the spray bottle and redirect Luna when she's biting.

The thing that worked the best when I was redirecting mine was to use a "chilly bone" (you can google for this product). Others have said they just froze a wet washcloth or towel. There's something about the cold that held my dogs' attention better than just replacing my leg, hand, etc. with a toy or nylabone.

The benefit of redirection is you're helping the dog make the link between what's acceptable to chew on vs. what's off-limits.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 AM

Thanks hokisteph5, I'm definitely going to try that!

We've tried redirection for months, but to no avail, which is why the trainer recommended the spray bottle (sorry, should have stated this in my original post). But since it's so hot here at the moment, she's started to like getting sprayed with water! So we'll definitely try the "chilly bone" tonight, thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:29 AM

I use a spray bottle redirecting does not work with our dog. Now I just pick up the bottle and he thinks twice. Put a little cheap cologne or lemon juice in it. Do not spray in the face or eyes and dont use verbal correction just walk away. I went to the travel sized section at target to buy little spray bottles it's easier to carry around.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

Why on earth would you want your pup to be frightened of spraying water? I use a spray bottle to cool my dogs off when it's hot!!!!

As others have said, please redirect your pup into a wanted behavior. This teaches your pup to make choices... primarily, the choice to give you a wanted behavior and be rewarded for it.

Your puppy is exhibiting completely normal behaviors for a pup this age. Your brain is bigger than your pup's... use it! Think outside the box. Always turn a negative into a positive.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Everyone has a different way of training there is no absolute wrong or right. I tried everything with my my dog and to no avail only spray bottle works. He is not scared to death of spray bottle he will drink from one at a show and I spray him with regular water when it's hot outside. Both my trainers are very well versed in rottweiler TRAINING.We tried everything. My dog is currently going for a CH and rally title and CD so it's definately not a training issue it's just the way he is and this has worked for him I too thought this was a ridiculous method but it works with him. It may not work with the OP's situtuation and like I said it's hard to walkaround with a big spray bottle all the time.
Not every method is good for every dog. Does not mean she cant try it!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 PM
100 yr old Valued Member

Sorry, I don't buy into the "horns, spray bottles, shake cans" or any of that other hooey.

If my dog NEEDS a correction, it will get one from ME. It will understand completely that I accept or don't accept any given behavior.

In the case of a youngster, there is rarely a need to give a real correction, only redirection. Much of the time, this means the handler needs to back up in training and start over - there is no shame in that. Itr's always much better to back up and start over than to conitnue allowing unsuccessful sessions.

This is why many people resort to using objects instead of themselves - they are in too much of a hurry to get the desired results - if one is communicating clearly in the first place, the desired result would be in front of the handler, not on the horizon.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Would you spray your child in the face with a spray bottle? My answer is no! to whoever suggested such a thing!!

Just a quick growl and say no to your puppy! Redirect her on to something else that she is allowed to chew on. be persistant and she will soon get the message and stop.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:01 AM

Like I said every dog is different and sometimes training needs to, and can be modified.
NOTALL OWNERS ARE IDIOTS AS SOME OF YOU MAY ASSUME/SOMETIMES IT REALLY IS THE DOG!
NO I DONT NEED TO SPRAY MY KID WITH A BOTTLE, BUT THEN AGAIN, SHE IS HUMAN!!!!!!

Last edited by sebastianvoneli; 01-28-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 AM

Wow I didn't realise this was such a controversial method. It's a moot point for Luna though, since she actually likes getting sprayed, it cools her down, as we have very hot weather at the moment! So the spray is definitely not the way to go for us.

The problem with redirection and "trading up" for a toy or snack, is that, especially where the kitten's tail is concerned, there is NOTHING that Luna will trade for it, it is at the total top of her list. She won't even look at the toy or snack. Mostly she just bites our legs when she's hyper, and thats a bit more manageable with redirection. Any other ideas?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbearsmom View Post
If one is communicating clearly in the first place, the desired result would be in front of the handler, not on the horizon.
*applause*

I think I might print and frame this.

Owned by:

CRMCH BEAR PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, ATD, HSS, SDS, HTAD1, AADC, AGDC

EPIC NTD, CRNCL, HT

Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 AM

Well LunaBelle I tried nemerous things before they worked. I would just keep taking suggestions from the wonderful people on the board and eventually it will come. She is still a puppy, with obedience training and sticking to your guns you will get this under control. Good luck

Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianvoneli View Post
Like I said every dog is different and sometimes training needs to, and can be modified.
Using a spray bottle is not training and it is not teaching. Spraying a dog to thwart puppy biting (or anything else) is just management and gives the dog ZERO information on what they CAN do with their mouth. One of the most important parts of teaching a dog is to patiently "out-persist" them with redirection from undesirable behavior, and guidance to desirable behavior. Otherwise, all you're doing is building frustration in the dog and showing them yours. Dogs use their mouths because that's what the good lord gave them to use. It is our job to show them how to use it, not to tell them to cease using it at all.

Redirect, redirect, redirect......then redirect some more. I found a teddy bear was my best "weapon" against puppy biting. Stuff a puppy's mouth with a soft toy when inclined to grab your pant leg or bite your hand, shake it a bit to keep them interested, and praise them for biting the toy. It takes many, many repetitions for a young puppy to catch on fully, but if you've got it in you to "out-persist" them, I guarantee you they will. And they will understand for life, because they were taught, not just managed.

Last edited by moondog; 01-28-2009 at 01:49 AM.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaBelle View Post
The problem with redirection and "trading up" for a toy or snack, is that, especially where the kitten's tail is concerned, there is NOTHING that Luna will trade for it, it is at the total top of her list. She won't even look at the toy or snack.
If you make a toy come ALIVE like a kitten's tail is......by shaking, by whisking it across the floor in an erratic pattern...by tossing it in the air, catching it, and tossing it some more.....in other words, by INTERACTING with the toy AND the puppy, well, the puppy IS going to be interested in it! If the puppy is consistently redirected to an animated toy and then consistently praised and treated for playing with the toy, guess what the puppy is going to enjoy doing most???

You just need to understand why a kitten's tail is such an attraction (mostly the motion, next the texture), and create that attraction with toys!

Last edited by moondog; 01-28-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:13 AM

Thanks everyone, advice really appreciated. Moondog, I'm definitely going to try your suggestions. At training class on Sunday we saw a pretty cool toy that may work, its a long, snakelike soft toy, with a "squeeky" in each end. I think this may do the trick. Will try to find one and keep y'all updated.

Thanks again!